Anyone else here hate Henry Rollins?
Apr 9, 2003 at 4:42 PM Post #16 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by eastsidemetalhd
no offence, but original isn't the first word that pops in my head when U2 is mentioned. either way, Rollins is a joke these days, with the movie roles and whatnot. I'll stick to listening to Black Flag.

i'm not offended. if u2 isn't very original then what you're saying is they derive their sound from other bands? name them.

Apr 10, 2003 at 6:36 PM Post #19 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by TimSchirmer
U2 is a sellout piece of suck pie. Rollins is MUCH better.

well if that's the case i better just throw out all my u2 albums right now!
rolleyes.gif

still waiting for an answer, eastsidemetalhd.
biggrin.gif

Apr 10, 2003 at 9:59 PM Post #20 of 48
Okay I guess I may be unique...I like both U2 and HR. U2 being my favourite band...

Um...they are ubercreative...and uberoriginal.

Think Boy, October, Joshua Tree, Rattle and Hum, Zooropa, The Passengers, All That You Can't Leave Behind.

Sorry, but they reinvent themselves...and reinvent the sound of the industry. They may sound mainstream because so many people copy them.

As for Henry...the guy has stuff to say, and its not ********...this is stuff he has LIVED through...the fact he saw his best friend...his ONLY family...have his head shot pretty much clear off...is something that messes a person up.

He's got brains...and he uses that in his lyrics. I particularly enjoy thinking when I listen to music.

Apr 11, 2003 at 10:16 AM Post #22 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by Jeff Guidry
I liked End of Silence, but his subsequent albums didn't really interest me much. I have not heard his spoken word performances.

One of my favourite album is "End of Silence". That's a great album, the lyric, song and musicanship were all top notch. Never really got into his later albums but "End of Silence" is a classic.

he does talk **** but at least its genuine ****.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 13, 2003 at 4:16 AM Post #23 of 48
... wow, confrontational u2 fans hahaha. i just don't see how u2 is all that original. they play guitar rock. lots of bands have before them, and lots of bands will after them. musically, they aren't doing anything that hasn't been done before.

don't get me wrong, i'm not saying u2 is worthless (hell, i like their stuff before they decided to be a dance band hahaha), just that they're hardly groundbreaking musical innovators. that's my opinion and i'm sticking to it.

but then again, if you're a die-hard u2 fan who's convinced that they are the greatest thing since sliced bread, nothing i say will matter. yes, u2 is indeed the greatest, most original band in the history of music, and eastsidemetalhd is a moron because he doesn't see the greatness of u2. now let's all masturbate to the originality of u2 (in the privacy of our own rooms, of course).
wink.gif

Apr 14, 2003 at 12:30 AM Post #24 of 48
So you're saying U2 have a sound that is derivative from others because they play "guitar rock"?
rolleyes.gif

It'd be easier to give your opinion some ample consideration by drawing some comparisons to other specific acts rather than hiding behind a worthless generalization and throwing out the old and tired "Whatever I say is worthless anyway because if you like them you won't listen" nonsense.

The only album that really sounds like "guitar rock" to me might be the last one they released. Feel free to compare their albums to similar acts for us in order to show us what you mean.

Go ahead, back up your opinion. I know I'm interested. Who knows, we may be moved to check out these acts if they sound like U2.

I'll give you one that were influenced "by" U2, how about Simple Minds?

Apr 14, 2003 at 12:57 AM Post #25 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by williamgoody

I'll give you one that were influenced "by" U2, how about Simple Minds?

Do you really think so?? I realise that their music would appeal to similar audiences (like myself for example), and that their political convictions are comparable, but musically, I find U2 and Simple Minds to be quite different.

To my mind, Simple Minds were more synth-based "new wave" with a commercial edge, particularly in the mid-to-late 80's. U2 were a lot more straight-down-the line guitar/rock by comparison. The divergence in style and sound is more apparent if you look further into their back catalogue, where Simple Minds were considerably more 'experimental' and 'electronic' than U2.

Just my 2 cents
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 14, 2003 at 1:29 AM Post #26 of 48
Well, at least we have U2 to thank for Creed.
rolleyes.gif

BTW, weren't there rumors for years about Henry Rollins sexuality? I don't care for him myself-- I think he's a pinhead, who suffers from the delusion that he's smarter than he actually is. He makes me laugh most of the time. I don't care if he is gay (not that there's anything wrong with that
wink.gif
), but given his persona, image, and the way he carries himself, and the audience he plays for, it could be more of a shock than when the guy from Judas Priest came out!

But think of the lifestyle of the "hard-core" punks from the 80's. Just a bunch of guys out on the road, getting drunk and sleeping together in the same van... Playing shirtless to sweaty 100% male audiences (young boys), acting out there agressions in a sea of hormones.... Just what kind of "groupies" does a hardcore band attract???
eek.gif
evil_smiley.gif
tongue.gif

Anyway, anyone know if those were just nasty rumors or might they be true?

Mark

Apr 14, 2003 at 1:52 AM Post #27 of 48
Quote:

Well, at least we have U2 to thank for Creed.

Actually I think they may be more influenced by Pearl Jam.
smily_headphones1.gif

Stymie, I kinda agree with your assessment, but the guitar work (esp. on "Once Upon a Time") smacks of U2 from the Unforgettable Fire era to me. Take out the synths and I believe you have a dead on U2 sound. You described them (Simple Minds) perfectly right otherwise IMO.

Apr 14, 2003 at 2:19 AM Post #28 of 48
markl...I really don't understand you bringing up Rollins' sexuality in the entire debate. Has Henry ever actively bashed gays or something?

Apr 14, 2003 at 4:13 AM Post #29 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by williamgoody
...but the guitar work (esp. on "Once Upon a Time") smacks of U2 from the Unforgettable Fire era to me. Take out the synths and I believe you have a dead on U2 sound.

I'll have to dig "Once Upon a Time" out and have a listen! It's been too long...

Actually, I'm pretty sad that the only time I got to see them live wasthe "Street Fighting Years" tour, around 1990 in Australia. To me, that was a disappointing album, and made for a slightly disappointing concert. Luckily we have "Live in the City of Light" huh?
wink.gif

Apr 14, 2003 at 5:09 AM Post #30 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by markl

Anyway, anyone know if those were just nasty rumors or might they be true?

I wouldnt care less about Rollins sexuality but i do wonder how this nasty rumors gets spread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back