Any Tom Waits Fans Out There???
Jan 7, 2006 at 10:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

jumping jupiters

100+ Head-Fier
For a Dylan fan it isn't a stretch to move into Waits...

I helped my cousin move from DC to Wisconsin this summer...plenty of alone time in the car digging through his CD collection. Can across two notable CD's: Daniel Lannois "Smile" and Tom Waits "Mule Variations"

So, the disk grew on me like a weed...that was 6 months ago and today I just picked up "Real Gone"...I thought he might be an artist where one only likes a single album...instead there is a strong possiblity that I will own all of his albums by the end of the week!

Does this guy tour...doesn't look like it?

Any other fans out there...has anyone seen him live?

Jan 7, 2006 at 10:16 PM Post #2 of 15
Tom Waits is just starting to grow on me now. He's an interesting cat, that's for sure. I've got 4 or 5 of his albulms and will probably end up getting more since each one is so different. I've been a Dylan fan for years, so I'm not quite ready to declare Waits as his equal, but I'm warming up to his music and his rather interesting spin of lyrics.

Jan 7, 2006 at 10:33 PM Post #4 of 15
I'd describe him as a deep shade of grey...it's great to hear lyrics that speak to me later on in my 20's...and the albums sound fantastic. I'd put the two I own amongst the best sonically that I have...cudos on that!

Whenever I have someone interested in hearing my system I always throw on "Chocolate Jesus" on...they love the rooster...as do I. It's all just so interesting and completely fresh...and musical in a disconnected kind of way.

Jan 7, 2006 at 11:08 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadlesko
Any Tom Waits Fans Out There???

Sure! While everything he's done has it's merits, my far and away favorite is the Rain Dogs, Swordfishtrombones, Frank's Wild Years "trilogy".

Never seen him live, but I did see The Black Rider performed last year by SFACT (a play Waits' wrote with William S. Burroughs and Robert Wilson). Featured Marianne Faithful as the Devil. The play was good in parts, weird in others, and just plain stupid in a few others, but the music (and the band) were absolutely fabulous...well worth the price of admission in and of themselves. Led by David Coulter, they played a wide variety of obscure instruments, and featured Thomas Bloch, one of the world's only experts on the Cristal Baschet, Glass Harmonica, and Ondes Martenot.

Jan 8, 2006 at 3:37 PM Post #7 of 15
Huh, noo, you're not lonely.
cool.gif

iTunes just told me I have ten of his albums, and there's still many I don't have. Should pick them all up in a while. I recently spoiled my little sister with "Beautiful Maladies", she who is all into Eminem... no feedback yet.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 8, 2006 at 3:43 PM Post #8 of 15
Tom Waits is one of those artists that I consider timeless. His stuff has always been so unique that it's miles ahead of any generation.

My personal faves (by period)

Early 70's - Nighthawks at the Diner. Playful early Waits.
Island Years (80's) - Swordfishtrombones and/or Rain Dogs (tough call). Really his carny years... music that defined him.
Island Years (90's) - Bone Machine. Whoah. Could be my favorite of his... Like Lou Reed's Magic and Loss - there is a sense of our own finality that plays through the music/lyrics.
The Anti Years (recent) - Alice. Prettiest of Waits albums in years.

Haven't seen him live, but watched the live Big Time video. He's quite a trip live, but I would say that he really shines in the studio (though I haven't actually seen him live, which I'm sure is another story)...

Jan 8, 2006 at 3:54 PM Post #9 of 15
Tom Waits amazes me. Although he's always taken risks in his music, his last album, Real Gone in which there are no keyboards, is really a very hypnotic set of songs. Although I love his older stuff, both Mule Variations and Real Gone are on my list of regularly listened-to CDs.

His older stuff: "Closing Time," "Ol'55," "Saturday Night," "Waltzing Matilda," etc. are all favorites. I have always loved his version of "Downtown Train."

Jan 8, 2006 at 4:47 PM Post #10 of 15
It seems that once every two or three years I stumble across an artist that wow's me...they have that special creativity that is wild and loose and truely worthy of the term special. With all the garbage out there pumped by the marketing machines it is good to know that Waits type of music can still bubble up to the surface...how much longer this type of artist can come to market is unknown...the Wilco and Bright Eyes of the world are getting too thin....

Jan 8, 2006 at 5:07 PM Post #11 of 15
Tom Waits does tour, sporadically. I saw him last year in Vancouver on his Real Gone Tour. Great performer and he is a crack-up with his between-songs stories/jokes. Most, if not all, of his shows sell-out very quickly. If you are a fan and have any opportunity to attend a show, go.

If you like his music, check out one of his movie performances. I'd recommend Down by Law and At Play in the Field of the Lords.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chadlesko

Does this guy tour...doesn't look like it?

Any other fans out there...has anyone seen him live?

Jan 9, 2006 at 5:58 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by clarke68
Sure! While everything he's done has it's merits, my far and away favorite is the Rain Dogs, Swordfishtrombones, Frank's Wild Years "trilogy".

i agree... his Holy Island Records Trilogy is the apex, but all of his stuff is worth getting.

i saw waits play a few years back at the Beacon Theater when he toured for Mule Variations. as far as i'm aware, that was his last major tour of the States.

funny story about that show: about 10 minutes before it started, the house was mostly full, and all of sudden, applause broke out in one section, gradually spreading to the whole house. i turned around to see what was happening, and saw Elvis Costello walking in to take his seat. the whole place erupted in a standing ovation for him.

oh, and Keith Richards was sitting a couple rows in front of me.

smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 13, 2006 at 3:24 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by redrich2000
Anyone know who played sax on Alice?

According to allmusic.com, it's Colin Stetson who (also according to allmusic.com) has 3 albums under his belt as a leader.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back