Any recommendations for AMP/DAC for HD 800?
Mar 10, 2013 at 3:59 AM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

For any headphone really. When it comes to dac, you can look at the one im using with the soloist on my sig. Does a good job. 

+1

that looks like a good combo, could always save money and go for the baby soloist as well.

i recommend you look at tubes, perhaps a woo audio 6 and a biifrost?

Mar 10, 2013 at 4:05 AM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

+1

that looks like a good combo, could always save money and go for the baby soloist as well.

i recommend you look at tubes, perhaps a woo audio 6 and a biifrost?

Owning an upgraded Crack/Speedball and having heard the WA6. I don't see a reason why one would even go for a WA6 for the HD800's from a price perspective/sound ratio point. There is nothing special about them besides the appealing high quality aesthetics. If you can stretch your bit over a $1k budget, I've read good things about Donald Norths Stratus + HD800 combo.

Mar 10, 2013 at 4:15 AM Post #19 of 31
Quote:
Owning an upgraded Crack/Speedball and having heard the WA6. I don't see a reason why one would even go for a WA6 for the HD800's from a price perspective/sound ratio point. There is nothing special about them besides the appealing high quality aesthetics. If you can stretch your bit over a $1k budget, I've read good things about Donald Norths Stratus + HD800 combo.

the crack/speedball is DIY though, he'd have to build it. not many good options for HD 800 under the 1k range, at least when u have to include a DAC as well. im sure the crack is about as good, i've heard really good things about it, but it might be hard to get.

the WA2 is also a great option, i find it to pair really good with the HD 800, but it can get expensive as well once u upgrade tubes.

the stratus would be more end game, considering it costs 2600$, that way more than a stretch lol, especially since he'd have to buy an equally transparent DAC for it.

Mar 10, 2013 at 5:06 AM Post #20 of 31
It is cheaper via DIY but you can pay extra for it to be built which is still under $500 and easily sounds better than equivalent tube amp's I've heard up to $1.5k (at least for mine as it's completely maxed out but not night and day different to the stock Crack/Speedball).

Mar 13, 2013 at 2:40 AM Post #23 of 31
Quote:
Schiit stack for less that 2K?

You nailed it man. That could be why people are avoiding it. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 15, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #25 of 31
Quote:
Does anyone have any experience with the Burson Conductor all in one system?

Ask the owners,
http://www.head-fi.org/t/627954/burson-conductor-dac-amp-successor-to-the-ha-160d

Mar 15, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #26 of 31
I'm considering buying a pair of Sennheiser HD 800 headphones, although this may not be for a while.

However an amplifier and DAC to consider might be Meier Audio Corda Classic and Daccord.

http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de

I have the predecessor to the Daccord, the StageDAC, and this is one excellent DAC.

Personally I tend not to get excited by valve amplifiers ("tube amplifiers" in US), instead I think the very best transparent amplification can be achieved with good solid state amplifiers. However I'm sure that there are excellent valve amplifiers.

The price for the Daccord and Classic together is $1235.

There are  big threads here about the Daccord and the Classic and I noticed some HD 800 users in those. Might be worth having a look there.

Mar 15, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #27 of 31
I'm considering buying a pair of Sennheiser HD 800 headphones, although this may not be for a while.

However an amplifier and DAC to consider might be Meier Audio Corda Classic and Daccord.

http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de

I have the predecessor to the Daccord, the StageDAC, and this is one excellent DAC.

Personally I tend not to get excited by valve amplifiers ("tube amplifiers" in US), instead I think the very best transparent amplification can be achieved with good solid state amplifiers. However I'm sure that there are excellent valve amplifiers.

The price for the Daccord and Classic together is $1235.

There are  big threads here about the Daccord and the Classic and I noticed some HD 800 users in those. Might be worth having a look there.

The HD800 borders on "excessively" bright with solid state amps. In fact, this is the very reason why I decided to let mine go.

Something to think about...

Mar 15, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #28 of 31
Quote:
The HD800 borders on "excessively" bright with solid state amps. In fact, this is the very reason why I decided to let mine go.

Something to think about...

It is something to think about most definitely. There do seem to be a number of users with the Meier Audio amplifier, so I guess it would be worthwhile to check with them.

Mar 16, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #29 of 31
It may not be quite as expensive as some are suggesting, but having A/B'ed against the competition, I find my KingRex UD384 with JDS O2 outstanding. I can't tell what I'm missing when I A/B with higher end gear like the Benchmark stack so I don't have any desire to spend more.

Apr 20, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #30 of 31
I'm happily using my HD800 with the relatively cheap Schiit Lyr.
I have the option to connect them to an Aurelic Taurus or a Burson HA-160 but I'm most happy with the Schiit combination and a good set of 6922 tubes I had lying. I think the tubed/mosfet hybrid amp brings in the desired warmth and retains the air/space I like so well with the HD800's.

This is a cost-effective alternative or do folks think he should opt for something better, if you know what its better? I'm curious too.

Geir

Users who are viewing this thread

Back