Any recommendations for AMP/DAC for HD 800?
Mar 9, 2013 at 3:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

securitybunny

Head-Fier
My HD 800 will be replacing my HD 598 this Thursday. However, I don't think my cheap E17 + E09K can fully drive the HD 800. What recommendations do you have for a DAC/AMP with the price range of about $1,000? I have never really listened to tube amps nor have the interest in buying any. 

Mar 9, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #2 of 31
If you want a good tube amp, can't beat the Bottlehead Crack + Speedball for any of the high impedence Sennheisers. 

Other than that, you can go diy route with the M3 or B22.

Retail SS amp: Violectric's V100/V200/V181, (Bursons as well but I personally don't like any of the pairings as it sounds too brittle and bright).

Mar 9, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #3 of 31
Quote:
If you want a good tube amp, can't beat the Bottlehead Crack + Speedball for any of the high impedence Sennheisers. 

Other than that, you can go diy route with the M3 or B22.

Retail SS amp: Violectric's V100/V200/V181, (Bursons as well but I personally don't like any of the pairings as it sounds too brittle and bright).

Thank you for your suggestions. The whole idea of tube amps puts me off. I really don't have much knowledge in the area of AMP/DACs, so I don't know what is best. I currently run my E09K + E17 setup via toslink through 24bit/192khz, but have been reading that it isn't enough to satisfy the HD 800. The v200 kind of shoves me in the other direction because I read that it is better paired with a V800 DAC, which I don't have enough money to buy both. Plus it isn't the best looking device and the v200 doesn't have an optical port. Bursons has a really praised review with a user from overclock.net with his HD 800, the HA-160ds. However, also doesn't have an optical slot. I am honestly dumbfounded in what is the best and most fun DAC/AMP combo for $1,000. 

http://www.overclock.net/t/1346641/gaming-with-sennheiser-hd800-burson-ha-160ds

Mar 9, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #4 of 31
For the HD800, I suggest that you save up a little longer and get your budget up into that 2000-3000 range. That headphone really deserves better quality up stream gear. Believe me, I just went through the same eye opening experience. In the mean time, your E09K will easily drive the HD800 without even breaking a sweat. The HD800 isn't particularly hard to drive.

And, if you are already set on solid state gear, I've heard good things about the Vioelectric V200 & V800 combo with the HD800.

Mar 9, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #5 of 31
Quote:
For the HD800, I suggest that you save up a little longer and get your budget up into that 2000-3000 range. That headphone really deserves better quality up stream gear. Believe me, I just went through the same eye opening experience. In the mean time, your E09K will easily drive the HD800 without even breaking a sweat. The HD800 isn't particularly hard to drive.

And, if you are already set on solid state gear, I've heard good things about the Vioelectric V200 & V800 combo with the HD800.

My concern though is how sufficient is the E09k + E17. I believe I got both for around $100 each. I haven't experienced hi-fi enough to spend $2k-3k on a DAC/AMP nor would know what is good. I bought the HD 800 because I wanted one last set of great headphones so I don't have to upgrade ever again, or at least not for a long long time. I'm in the same boat with a DAC/AMP. Looking for something that is great, almost flawless, but not too expensive. Something that will last for a few years.

Mar 9, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #6 of 31
With the Burson's in particular, i never found it to be bright (specially their latest creations) i've found myself enjoying the HD800 on the lowest gain setting of my soloist. 
If you try the highest gain, is a whole new level of performance. 

Mar 9, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #7 of 31
Quote:
With the Burson's in particular, i never found it to be bright (specially their latest creations) i've found myself enjoying the HD800 on the lowest gain setting of my soloist. 
If you try the highest gain, is a whole new level of performance. 

Do you happen to know the difference between a Burson Soloist, Soloist SL, conductor, and 160DS? What is best to use with the HD 800 and how much is each priced at, at the lowest value?

Mar 9, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #8 of 31
Quote:
Do you happen to know the difference between a Burson Soloist, Soloist SL, conductor, and 160DS? What is best to use with the HD 800 and how much is each priced at, at the lowest value?

Previously to the soloist, i owned the 160Ds which is a good performer for the price. It has articulated bass, with a warm sound. 

The Soloist does everything better, more bass impact, good midrange and improved soundstage. From dynamics to planar headphones you cant go wrong. 

The Conductor i've no experience yet, but there's a thread about conductor owners. Technically, seems promising. 

Oh, and about prices it depends if you buy directly from burson or from a retailer. 

Mar 9, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

Previously to the soloist, i owned the 160Ds which is a good performer for the price. It has articulated bass, with a warm sound. 

The Soloist does everything better, more bass impact, good midrange and improved soundstage. From dynamics to planar headphones you cant go wrong. 

The Conductor i've no experience yet, but there's a thread about conductor owners. Technically, seems promising. 

Oh, and about prices it depends if you buy directly from burson or from a retailer. 

So if I could find the Soloist for around $1,000, you think it is a great long term investment for the HD 800?

Mar 9, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #10 of 31
You may not be interested in tube amps now but once you hear how bright your 800s your interest sway. 

A great sounding dac/amp for $1,049 the Dac-100. It is voiced for the 800 and is nothing less than brilliant to me when listening to jazz, radiohead, edm and other alternative.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/615533/nuforce-dac-100-news

Mar 9, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #11 of 31
The Burson's are a bad idea for the HD800, imho. I had both the HA160 and Soloist paired with my HD800 and didn't like either combination. The Soloist was definitely the better match though. I think the HD800 would really benefit from a warmer amp and I personally consider Burson's as closer to neutral.

Again, I still think you should reconsider your budget, especially if you want this to be your "one and done" system.

Mar 9, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #12 of 31
One thing that has me confused though is do I need a DAC? If I were to get the Burson Soloist, that is just an AMP, correct? I do not have a dedicated sound card in my pc and my motherboard uses a realtek ALC898 chip.

Mar 9, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #13 of 31
Quote:
The Burson's are a bad idea for the HD800, imho. I had both the HA160 and Soloist paired with my HD800 and didn't like either combination. The Soloist was definitely the better match though. I think the HD800 would really benefit from a warmer amp and I personally consider Burson's as closer to neutral.

Again, I still think you should reconsider your budget, especially if you want this to be your "one and done" system.

What warmer amp/dac would you recommend? Again, I'm just reaching out into the hifi world so I do not know what is the best for my HD 800. :) I appreciate all the help.

Mar 9, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #14 of 31
One thing that has me confused though is do I need a DAC? If I were to get the Burson Soloist, that is just an AMP, correct? I do not have a dedicated sound card in my pc and my motherboard uses a realtek ALC898 chip.

You would still need a DAC. The Burson Conductor is basically the Soloist with a built in DAC. The Conductor would put you up ~$2000.

What warmer amp/dac would you recommend? Again, I'm just reaching out into the hifi world so I do not know what is the best for my HD 800. :) I appreciate all the help.

Like I said above, for solid state I've heard great things about the Vioelectric V200 & V800 combo. However, most Head-fi'ers will still recommend tubes for the HD800.

Mar 9, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #15 of 31
Quote:
So if I could find the Soloist for around $1,000, you think it is a great long term investment for the HD 800?

For any headphone really. When it comes to dac, you can look at the one im using with the soloist on my sig. Does a good job. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back