Any Members From Ottawa, Canada?
Apr 4, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #31 of 83
Here's one of the room that can accommodate 8 peoples.

and this one good for 12 peoples. I have book this one for April 25th. 

Apr 10, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #33 of 83
Hey guys.  I'm not from Ottawa (although I was born there), but out of interest have been following your thread.
I'm 'charliex' from the GTA, and a few days ago attended yet another terrific meet where you can see pictures here and here.
It was a well attended meet and we were able to hear phones such as the HE-60, the HD-800, HD-600 and 650, T-1 and a range of dynamic cans.
My preferred are electrostatics and in addition to the Baby Orpheus we were able to here the SR-007 MK1 and MK2, Stax 404LE, the LNS and
even the rare low impedence SR-Lambda and gold edition SR-5.  Orthodynamic phones were well represented with headphones such as
the LCD-2 r1 and r2, the HE-5 and HE-6 and others.  And of course it was compulsory for all in attendance to don the legendary Jecklins for a picture.
If you get your first meet up and running here are a few suggestions:
* with only a half dozen attending you certainly won't need an arena as suggested, but would find that someone's home would likely be sufficient
* if you have any DIYers, its always nice to have a raffle for some small headphone related item such as cables, mini DACs and amps etc
* settle on a common source for listening, either laptops/memory sticks (computer audio) which is preferable or CD players (limited versatility)
* you'll need LOTS of outlets/extensions and power bars
*make up name tags with Head-Fi handles prominent
* be sure to have a photographer to snap lots of pics as we all love to see these posted
*assemble a participant list (Head-Fi handles) AND equipment list of what's being brought
Hope we can all be seeing your impressions soon - enjoy!\
Bryan (charliex)

Apr 10, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #34 of 83
Hi Charliex, thanks for the great input. I won't even hold it against you that you might be a Toronto Maple Leaf fan! One of the posters in this thread has secured a boardroom in a hospital for 4 hours so that should be a very good venue and heck if anybody has a heart attack what could be more convenient? We weren't considering an arena per say, just potentially a smallish room as often they have such a room available. We have a date of April 25th, 7:00pm - 11:00pm and we will certainly get some pictures posted. I am unfamiliar with the acronym DIR, but I suspect being in Ottawa will be a disadvantage in terms of any suppliers willing to provide goodies. Thanks again for your suggestions, much appreciated. Don't forget to cheer for the Senators.

Mark

Apr 10, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #35 of 83
Well too bad its so soon, I could have gotten a whole bunch of headphones in.. but I can get the Grado GS1000i and PS1000 with the Sen HD800 if I end up going. 

Apr 10, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #36 of 83
Hey Mark! (Sonic Defender)

It's really nice to see people wanting and acting towards the goal of getting together! I'm in!

I readily approve of the post-exam meetup and actually the hospital meeting room seems just fine, I don't live incredibly far.

This is actually my first post on head-fi, although I've been reading the forums for months now. Cool stuff EVERYWHERE on here!  I'm itching for a week off so that I can start making me some cables. I hope to be a decent DIYer one day haha!

Recable EVERYTHING!

TheCannedBeing

Apr 11, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #37 of 83
Hi Torontoraccoon nice to hear from you, and from TheCannedbeing. Your both very welcome to join us of course, the more the merrier (unless we have no room to stand!). It sounds like the meet will go very well and I think we have at least 10 people attending so certainly it will be a great gathering. Thanks to Twinster for making it all happen. I'm really looking forward to meeting everybody, but I know I will leave the event with the desire to buy even more gear! I am going to sell my drum-set to fund my next headphone purchase which will likely be the T1. Anyway, great to hear from everybody, cheers.

Mark

Apr 11, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #38 of 83
count me in. unfortunately i can only offer LA2000, but would be thrilled to try some of the other cans mentioned in the thread and meet everyone.

I'm definitely wondering what the source situation would be. is there any way we could conveniently bring our own music to sample? maybe a computer with a good kernel-streaming software setup and a versatile high-endthat we could just plug USB keys into? how do they do it at the huge, annual meetups?

Apr 11, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #39 of 83
Hello everyone,

We are getting a pretty good response and to be honest I think we have a full house. I will be compiling the equipment list and post it later. We should be fine for source if you bring your sample music on USB key or CD.

Later

Cheer
Simon

Apr 11, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #40 of 83

Quote:
count me in. unfortunately i can only offer LA2000, but would be thrilled to try some of the other cans mentioned in the thread and meet everyone.

I'm definitely wondering what the source situation would be. is there any way we could conveniently bring our own music to sample? maybe a computer with a good kernel-streaming software setup and a versatile high-endthat we could just plug USB keys into? how do they do it at the huge, annual meetups?

Someone needs a computer of course, and it can be as simple as a basic laptop - but the key would be to have it hooked up to a reasonably good DAC as your source.  Then all that others would need would be a USB memory stick.
A few laptops is recommended so that you have several listening stations.  And be sure your music is FLAC or WAV format at least.

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #41 of 83
Quote:
    Someone needs a computer of course, and it can be as simple as a basic laptop - but the key would be to have it hooked up to a reasonably good DAC as your source.  Then all that others would need would be a USB memory stick.
A few laptops is recommended so that you have several listening stations.  And be sure your music is FLAC or WAV format at least.

ya that makes sense. it's not included in the list that went out by PM, but i also have a laptop with a bit-perfect 24/96-capable Winamp setup that can bring anything in from USB easily (so we'll have 3 laptops all together). I'll bring my Audio-GD NFB-12 too, although it looks like there are some much nicer amps/DACs on offer that would work better for a listening station. i don't have a digital interface though, so only ones with USB input would work.

Definitely looking forward to this though.

Apr 12, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #42 of 83

Quote:
ya that makes sense. it's not included in the list that went out by PM, but i also have a laptop with a bit-perfect 24/96-capable Winamp setup that can bring anything in from USB easily (so we'll have 3 laptops all together). I'll bring my Audio-GD NFB-12 too, although it looks like there are some much nicer amps/DACs on offer that would work better for a listening station. i don't have a digital interface though, so only ones with USB input would work.

Definitely looking forward to this though.

Count me in with my desktop as well.  I normally use USB, but I do have an optical output as well as a HDMI output that I'm sure I can get bit-perfect through Foobar.

Apr 18, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #43 of 83
Okay for thread followers, here is some good news. For our meet, Planet of Sound in Ottawa has agreed to provide a stunning door prize. They will be doing a draw for a Graham Slee Novo headphone amp for us! That is a retail value of $449. Not a bad little prize. A few things, there is one entry per person only, and the ballot must be dropped off in person at the Ottawa store, but you do not need to attend the meet to enter. This seems fair to me as we would like the possible entrants limited to Ottawa and capital region members who are active in the forums and who might actually become customers of Planet of Sound. However, the owner has not restricted those who can enter, but they must themselves drop off their ballot.

Not that I am suggesting anything here, but I don't think any of us should offer to submit a ballot for a head-fi buddy who can't get to the store themselves. First, it dilutes the odds of those of us who are attending the meet and those actually who live in the area. The people in Toronto, Montreal or where-ever have plenty of other opportunities that we don't get here in Ottawa so please, only encourage people to enter who should. That is fair isn' t it? I sure don't want a member in Vancouver winning because a buddy in Ottawa did the leg work for them. This is a contest that we should enjoy while also being fair to the owner of Planet of Sound who wants to get as many potential customers to physically go into his great store and see what is there. That was the reasoning I used to seek such a generous offer, and I think looking at this as a marketing/good-will opportunity is a very reasonable expectation on the part of the owner.

By the way, I know some of the members in this thread are students from other cities, but I didn't mean you shouldn't enter. If you live here and go to school here you are a member of the community that can actually visit the store so regardless of the fact that you might live elsewhere sometimes you should feel free to enter of course. Anyway, it will make the event a little more exciting for all of us and it was an extremely generous offer on the part of Planet of Sound. For those of you who haven't had the pleasure of visiting the store the website is www.planetofsoundonline.com Good luck to you all.

Apr 18, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #44 of 83
Great that is exciting!  Thank you  Sonic (and dgcrane) for this. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back