Any Integrated Amps, Vintage amps, or AV Receivers with great Headphone Amp section inside?
Dec 21, 2020 at 11:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

exwhyzed01

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

If anyone has come across any, can you throw in your suggestions for either Integrated Amps, Vintage amps, or AV Receivers with a great Headphone Amp inside?

I know that usually the headphone section is "resistored-down" from the main amplification section and acoustically suffers from it. I'm experiencing the same thing with my bookshelf system Panasonic PMX70, where the spearker sound amazing but the headphone output sounds quiet and muffled, compared to my 7 year old laptop soundcard.

Anyhow, i'm willing to consider a full sized amp that has a great headphone section. the only one i've come across online is a forum comment naming the AV Receiver Onkyo TX-NR905 as having a good headphone section. I'm looking for others (and less pricey others, than the Onkyo). Thanks in advance for any insights that can be provided!

Dec 21, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #2 of 28
What is the make and model of your current headphone(s)?
Usually receivers that come with their own built in dedicated headphone amplifier are usually the higher priced units.

A headphone with a high impedance (Ohm) might function better plugged into the PMX70.

Dec 21, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #4 of 28
I'm using an Audio Technica 5xpro , but will have a Massdrop Sennheiser HD6XX shortly.
It might be the 300-Ohm HD6XX works better plugged into the PMX70, then the 34-Ohm Pro 5X headphones.
I'm guess it's an impedance issue, that's causing the Pro 5X to under perform, plugged into the PMX5X, less a power delivery issue.

Dec 21, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #5 of 28
The best match for high impedance dynamics is a vintage receiver from the 1960s or 70s. The problem is most of them are going to need to work to get back to their former glory.

There is a thread on headfi about vintage receivers, you could spend some enjoyable moments reading through it. I think it's something like "calling all vintage receiver owners"

Dec 21, 2020 at 6:23 PM Post #6 of 28
I just got back from the post office, and have been swapping back and forth between the HD6XX and ATH-Pro5X listening to music... and I didn't think it would happen to me but I've departed and am now heading down the rabbit hole of audio.

Both my PC and the Panasonic bookshelf PMX70 fall short of getting enough volume to the HD6XX.
The ATH-Pro5X has a lot more pronounced sharp treble and sibilance. I thought this was a good thing before, as I could EQ it out when mixing tracks, but now i have a hunch that it could be falsely exaggerated treble.
The HD6XX does not have these exaggerations at lower volumes...I'm not sure what will happen at higher volumes.
HD6XX is damn comfortable.
I'm fine with the HD6XX bass level.

In conclusion, i'm now going to seek out a DAC, Amp, or combo unit to drive the HD6xx a bit harder, and spend as many or more late nights reading reviews and entering/exiting purchasing paralysis until i finally end up with something. I look forward to it though. Thanks!

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2020 at 7:28 PM Post #7 of 28
What sources of audio do you like to feed to your headphone?
(streaming, CD, mp3, FLAC, etc)
I would think your best option is a USB DAC/amp, for use with the laptop.

Dec 21, 2020 at 7:32 PM Post #8 of 28
What sources of audio do you like to feed to your headphone?
(streaming, CD, mp3, FLAC, etc)
I would think your best option is a USB DAC/amp, for use with the laptop.

I'm mainly listening to youtube, but now will seek out more HD sources, and download FLAC files to listen to. Yes i think i will go with a USB DAC to Amp, or combo. I was thinking the Schiit Asgard 3 and put a Khadas Tone board inside (i did some measurements looking at the internals from google images) and there' s enough room. But i've read on the Asgard 3 impressions thread that a bit of high end detail may not be there. I've been conditioned by my old headphones to think the sharp sibilant treble is normal and now if its not there i think something is missing.

What's your take on the Asgard 3 PurpleAngel?

EDIT: There seems also to be room inside of the Asgard 3 for a Schiit Loki as well! But i'm not sure how all these extra boards will do with the heat that the Asgard will give off.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2020 at 8:56 PM Post #9 of 28
I have an Asgard 3 for bedroom listening. If you don't want balanced outputs it's a great amp. Can't go better at the price.

Dec 21, 2020 at 8:58 PM Post #10 of 28
I have an Asgard 3 for bedroom listening. If you don't want balanced outputs it's a great amp. Can't go better at the price.

DeweyCH i would do 80% fun listening and 20% mixing, but for that 20% i need something spot on with clarity. Would you suggest the Asgard 3 for this, or something else that i can pair a Khadas tone board with?

Dec 21, 2020 at 9:03 PM Post #11 of 28
DeweyCH i would do 80% fun listening and 20% mixing, but for that 20% i need something spot on with clarity. Would you suggest the Asgard 3 for this, or something else that i can pair a Khadas tone board with?
The Asgard is very clear, but if you want better clarity I'd maybe look at one of the THX amps. I have the Monoprice 887 as my main amp, but the Drop 789 and I think a SMSL SP-200 would be great options. They're not modular so you can't put the tone board inside but they'll probably be about the clearest and most neutral amps in this price range

Dec 21, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #12 of 28
The Asgard is very clear, but if you want better clarity I'd maybe look at one of the THX amps. I have the Monoprice 887 as my main amp, but the Drop 789 and I think a SMSL SP-200 would be great options. They're not modular so you can't put the tone board inside but they'll probably be about the clearest and most neutral amps in this price range

Ok i'll check these out, thanks!

Dec 21, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #13 of 28
I'm mainly listening to youtube, but now will seek out more HD sources, and download FLAC files to listen to. Yes i think i will go with a USB DAC to Amp, or combo. I was thinking the Schiit Asgard 3 and put a Khadas Tone board inside (i did some measurements looking at the internals from google images) and there' s enough room. But i've read on the Asgard 3 impressions thread that a bit of high end detail may not be there. I've been conditioned by my old headphones to think the sharp sibilant treble is normal and now if its not there i think something is missing. What's your take on the Asgard 3 PurpleAngel?
EDIT: There seems also to be room inside of the Asgard 3 for a Schiit Loki as well! But I'm not sure how all these extra boards will do with the heat that the Asgard will give off.
I would have no problem buying and using the Schiit Asgard, but I would go with whatever DAC that Schiit makes, for going on the inside.
Otherwise I would get an external DAC, to use with the Asgard.

Dec 22, 2020 at 4:28 AM Post #15 of 28
The Cary CAD-300SEI absolutely sings with the Sennheiser 6 series headphones. My God! It's like perpetual morning wood!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back