Any Head-Fier's still making LOD's?
Apr 27, 2011 at 12:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

PANGES

1000+ Head-Fier
Any of you folks out there still making Ipod LOD's?

I had an LOD made for my 3G iPod Touch a couple years back, and it's worked great until recently, I stopped getting sound in my right earphone unless I wiggle the LOD around and hold it in a certain position.

The person who made it for me no longer makes LOD's, so I was curious if anyone around Head-Fi still makes them, and if they could make one for me. :)

I basically want something similar to this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/IPod-IPhone-Low-Profile-LINE-OUT-DOCK-LOD-OCC-Silver-/180628474669?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item2a0e4bcb2d#ht_2884wt_1045

It'd also be cool if we could get a list going of people who don't mind making LOD's for others, since we could always use some extras. =P

Apr 27, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #2 of 15
What's your price? I know Ray@ RSA makes some very...very nice LOD's. If you wanted to check out the DIY form and you'll see a lot of DIY'rs that will make them for a reasonable price or sell there other LOD's they made.

Apr 28, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #4 of 15
[size=small]I'd ask the same question the OP asked, do any of you assemble and sell high quality LODs? [/size]
[size=small] [/size]
[size=small]$125.00 for a built by hand LOD? That's ridiculous. I understand that running a business costs, experienced labor adds value, and quality parts cost more (those parts bought in quantity shouldn't exceed $8.00). From my fundamental analysis, that's approximately a 75% profit margin (assuming a generous labor price to assemble the cable, $35 - $45 an hour, and revenues to cover the costs of marketing and selling the product).[/size]
[size=small] [/size]
[size=small]I think the LOD market is a niche market, that means demand is low. So that means the incentive to build such products is low. But, I find it hard to believe that profit margins like that wouldn't draw in competition. I'd assume at least a few dozen basement hobbyists that can prove their knowledge and abilities to the market exist.[/size]
[size=small] [/size]
[size=small]I would agree that the Fiio L3 LOD is low quality, therefore its low price. We can set the entry price of the market at around $18.00 (all costs to acquire it) for those who want to ignore the costs of doing small business in the USA. I would point out that price includes a reduced assembled in China labor price. Factories in the USA don't intimidate their workers at the level they do in China (you don't want to work harder and breathe in those poisonous fumes? We beat your wife and children, then you work harder!). Lets be ethical, lets set the entry price into the market at $25.00 (yes, this is the cost of a high standard of living).[/size]
[size=small] [/size]
[size=small]We know $25.00 isn't using decent parts, so the price is probably too low. We also know skilled basement enthusiasts who are willing to supply a niche market can't run a business using economics of scale (mass producing factories), so we need to compensate for the increased costs of doing small business; therefore, we need to increase the price up to $30.00. We also know $125.00 includes an excessive profit margin (but it includes audiophile level parts) so we know this price is probably too high. The market price for an audiophile level LOD cable is somewhere inbetween here. Who is providing it? That's the question. [/size]
[size=small] [/size]
[size=small]Competition would start around $125.00 because that's the marginal high price. Whiplash is setting the price at $89.00 + shipping. Now we know the spread is between $30.00 -  ~$93.00. Who can beat  ~$93.00 using audiophile level parts and provable skilled labor? Whoever you are, you have an opportunity.[/size]

May 3, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #6 of 15
[size=small]Apparently the competitive LOD market, IE not the snake oil LOD market, revolves around eBay at this time.[/size]
[size=small] [/size]
[size=small]I'm still curious why an entrepreneurial assembler hasn't chimed in here? There seems to be plenty of money to be made on these cables if one can surround themselves with a decent business model.[/size]

May 3, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #7 of 15
This looks pretty good, no?

http://cgi.ebay.com/IPod-IPhone-Ultra-low-profile-LINE-OUT-DOCK-LOD-SPOFC-/180655788475?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item2a0fec91bb#ht_3140wt_1073

May 3, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #8 of 15
Yeah. I remember for a while, a ton of people were making LOD's and had a bunch of spare supplies to make extras for other members here. I suppose I'll have to buy one on ebay, although I'd prefer to purchase from someone here instead.

Quote:
[size=small]Apparently the competitive LOD market, IE not the snake oil LOD market, revolves around eBay at this time.[/size]
[size=small] [/size]
[size=small]I'm still curious why an entrepreneurial assembler hasn't chimed in here? There seems to be plenty of money to be made on these cables if one can surround themselves with a decent business model.[/size]

May 3, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #9 of 15
it's not really a money making operation.  

I mean, even though you can buy the materials in bulk, the kind of people here who are doing these things usually already have jobs.  This is just a hobby.  And if you're making a cable or two, it's fun.  When you're making 50 LODs a week as a business, it's incredibly tedious, boring, and not at all fun.  And I seriously doubt anyone could live on the revenue provided by making LODs, unless they were in North Dakota.  If you want to pay for Western (american, european) labor costs, you pay $125+.  If you want to pay $50 or less, you need to go to the Asian market.

May 12, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #10 of 15

Qusp made this one and I traded it back for one a bit longer...I am going to have to contact him for another one because my main amps now have a center input and the cable gets in the way of the headphone input.

Not sure if he is still making them, but I hope he is.  It will be almost twice your budget, though.

Make sure you get an LOD that has the correct pin-out configuration for the iPhone, though.  

I got one of those inexpensive FIIO LOD that are bigger but you can plug different cables into plus a mini USB to help charge...my iPhone kept popping up a message that said it "was not an approved iPhone accessory and may cause interference" then it told me to put the phone into Airplane mode.  Very annoying.

Also, the first LOD qusp sent was even more snug in the phone.  He does some work to also expand the connector for a better fit.

Be sure to ask him for a snug fit.  Mine is getting looser.

May 15, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #12 of 15
Thanks for the info, CEE TEE! I'll shoot him a PM. :D

Quote:

Qusp made this one and I traded it back for one a bit longer...I am going to have to contact him for another one because my main amps now have a center input and the cable gets in the way of the headphone input.

Not sure if he is still making them, but I hope he is.  It will be almost twice your budget, though.

Make sure you get an LOD that has the correct pin-out configuration for the iPhone, though.  

I got one of those inexpensive FIIO LOD that are bigger but you can plug different cables into plus a mini USB to help charge...my iPhone kept popping up a message that said it "was not an approved iPhone accessory and may cause interference" then it told me to put the phone into Airplane mode.  Very annoying.

Also, the first LOD qusp sent was even more snug in the phone.  He does some work to also expand the connector for a better fit.

Be sure to ask him for a snug fit.  Mine is getting looser.

May 15, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #13 of 15
^Oh, the one on eBay exits the other side from the one that I have.

Which side do you want the cable to exit from?

(I might meet up with you to show you the one I have and if you like it, it could help me fund the "next one" with center output into straight plug...I could probably sell at your budgeted amount.) 

Take a look at your rig and possible amps to figure out what you need from qusp...he will tailor it to your request.

May 15, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #14 of 15
Hmm. I'm not sure. My portable stuff is at home right now, so I can't check. I'm sleeping over at my girlfriend's house tonight because I have to take her to some marathon thing at 5am. =(

I don't plan on switching or upgrading my DAP or portable amp anytime soon, so I just need it made for the iPod Touch + Headstage Arrow. I'll check tomorrow and report back. :)

Thanks for the help, CEE TEE. I met you at the meet last time, but I don't think I mentioned my user name on here. hehe.

Quote:
^Oh, the one on eBay exits the other side from the one that I have.

Which side do you want the cable to exit from?

(I might meet up with you to show you the one I have and if you like it, it could help me fund the "next one" with center output into straight plug...I could probably sell at your budgeted amount.) 

Take a look at your rig and possible amps to figure out what you need from qusp...he will tailor it to your request.

May 15, 2011 at 2:00 AM Post #15 of 15
I would like to match the inline-4 (avatar) with the Head-Fier, ha!

Lemme know if my LOD might work with your rig.

Otherwise, we'll both be contacting qusp for a "qustom" LOD soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back