Any Audio Technica ATH-W100 experts that can help me?
Mar 10, 2005 at 8:31 AM Post #16 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by soupy
ahha, that's funny. If someone has a used w100's purchased from head-fi with a small dent on the right (?) cup, that was mine! A steal on ebay too...for $186 new.

How did I miss a new W100 for $186 on eBay???
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Mar 17, 2005 at 8:07 PM Post #18 of 62
I'm in Love!

1.jpg

The W100's arrived this morning and, at first, I was totally underwhelmed with them fresh out of the box. They sounded nasal, harsh, spitty, thin and (quite frankly) cruddy. I left them playing all day and returned to them some 9 hours later to find the bass and treble has filled out a bit and there is a lot more body to the sound (more meat on the bones) It's way to early to give an impression as I'd imagine these cans will take a fair old while to bed in? The sound, at the moment, is the best I've heard from a headphone with only 9 hours on the clock and that's a VERY promising sign indeed..... can anyone remember the changes to the phones character after prolonged bed in?

The fit and finish is absolutely first rate from the cherry wood earcups to the silk fibre woven cord to the wooden carved Jack plug..... class on a stick... there's not one part of these phones that doesn't say "quality".... I'm in love!

I've done a bit of research and, apparantly, the earcups are made from Cherry wood (sourced from cherry trees on the Japanese island of Hokkaido) and are coated with a traditional Japanese lacquer..... do any of you guys feed the cups with wax or do you just wipe them with a cloth? I know that these "spray on" lacquers don't soak into the wood they just coat it and it's pointless using wax as it won't penetrate the wood due to the lacquer barrier. I know that cherry wood is very good for loudspeakers due to its density so it make sense to use it with headphones.... thing is I'm a great believer in feeding wood and may strip the laqcuer off at a later date and start penetrating the wood with some beeswax or something has anyone tried this?

Anyways enough of my ramblings on feeding wood, I'm off to have a darned good listen to these Japanese beauties
smily_headphones1.gif

A few pics for anyone who likes pics:

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

I certainly won't be replacing this with an aftermarket cable!

7.jpg

8.jpg

10.jpg

Burning in with a WNA MKll..... seems great synergy between the W100 and WNA

Mar 17, 2005 at 8:33 PM Post #19 of 62
Wow, congrats on finally receiving your W100's they're absolutely beautiful. When I received my pair of W100's it was fully burned in and I can tell you that the mids had some depth to it, to me it didn't sound thin at all. Bass extension was also present though not as deep as some of the other cans I own. As for it sounding nasal, some find it to be a problem in all AT cans no matter how much burn in you put on them but to me (maybe it's just me), I didn't find this characteristic in my AT's.

As for feeding the wood enclosures, I don't use any type of wax on it. If the the enclosures get a little dirty or dull I just use a soft damp cloth (tap water) and wipe them down. They don't need wax to make them shine. If you do plan on using wax, I would think your suggestion of beeswax would be the best choice. Sit back and enjoy your new W100's.

Mar 17, 2005 at 8:50 PM Post #20 of 62
Wow...thos elook nice. I have a pair myself and they only had 25-50 hours on them when I bought them. I agree with a lot of what others here have said about mids and bass...although not as much about soundstage. For some reason I really like acoustic guitar on these...wood likes wood I guess
smily_headphones1.gif

Either way, you've got a nice pair of cans there...enjoy!

Mar 17, 2005 at 9:35 PM Post #21 of 62
Cheers guys,

I've been listening for a couple of hours now and these phones will not be going back to the retailer like so many before them have.... these babies are keepers for sure, they sounded like ***** fresh from the box but they're responding to every hour of bed in they get and, as I said before, that's a very good sign.

Will report back.

Mike.

Mar 17, 2005 at 11:10 PM Post #22 of 62
My feet are tapping along to the music and I've got an insatiable urge to moonwalk and dance around like a nutter....... these are goooooooood! It's been many years since I've felt like drumming on my knees or dancing about like a lunatic <note to self "remember to unplug headphones before attempting a moonwalk"> these phones are pure FUN! <grabs crotch and shrieks like MJ> yeeeeehaw!

I think they're bedding in nicely
tongue.gif

Mar 18, 2005 at 9:48 AM Post #24 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
My feet are tapping along to the music and I've got an insatiable urge to moonwalk and dance around like a nutter....... these are goooooooood! It's been many years since I've felt like drumming on my knees or dancing about like a lunatic <note to self "remember to unplug headphones before attempting a moonwalk"> these phones are pure FUN! <grabs crotch and shrieks like MJ> yeeeeehaw!

PinkFloyd,

Amen to that. And congratulations!

In my experience, the W100 needs lots of burn-in to sound right and lose the initial brightness, hundreds of hours. But after that, it turns into the most musically enjoyable headphone I ever listened to. It's not the most detailed headphone, nor the most analytical, but it communicates musical emotion like no other.

Hirsch,

What's the amp you like with the W100, the "right amp"?

Mar 18, 2005 at 11:54 AM Post #25 of 62
Those look absolutely gorgeous
smily_headphones1.gif

So, any more news on how they are progressing? I'm thinking baout maybe getting a pair, as I already have two open pairs (HD600 and MS-1), so I could sell one, and get these closed ones.

Also, I see you have some HD600's... Would you care to comment on how they compare, or is it too early to tell?

Thanks,

Dave.

Mar 18, 2005 at 2:24 PM Post #26 of 62
Cool, the W100's always seemed to appeal more to me than the W1000's
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, unless you can stretch for the L3000's
icon10.gif

Mar 18, 2005 at 3:02 PM Post #27 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomcat
Hirsch,

What's the amp you like with the W100, the "right amp"?

I use the W100 at work, which means that I need to use it with an amp that's small enough to carry back and forth, since my office is probably not as secure as it should be. I'd been really happy with the Earmax Pro, but I recently switched over to a Xiang Sheng 708A and haven't looked back. The Xiang Sheng seems to do for a W100 what a HAP-03 does to Sennheisers. You don't get great detail, but there's a lot of "air" and some really punchy bass. Staging is wide open. It simply plays music.

I actually tried putting some high quality tubes in the 708A, and got an improvement in detail, but a drop in musical enjoyment. There's a lesson in there somewhere. I had been thinking about putting in better caps, but there's a risk that improving the components could lose the sound I've been getting.

Mar 18, 2005 at 5:22 PM Post #28 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch
(...) It simply plays music.

I actually tried putting some high quality tubes in the 708A, and got an improvement in detail, but a drop in musical enjoyment. There's a lesson in there somewhere. I had been thinking about putting in better caps, but there's a risk that improving the components could lose the sound I've been getting.

Hirsch,

Thanks for the quick reply! I had never heard about the XiangSheng 708A. Nice.

"It simply plays music." That's the trick with all improvements: do they improve what's important? I always felt that more detail isn't necessarily a good thing: it can be indicative of a component's inability to make sense of it all. Detail can be artificial, it can mean the destruction of the signal's cohesion. If something "simply plays music", it does what it's supposed to do, I believe.

Mar 18, 2005 at 6:22 PM Post #29 of 62
I found the W100's to be so rolled off at the top as to be objectionable, even out of a Benchmark DAC1 (a bright source/amp). Just didn't sound natural to my ears *shrug*.

On an overall brightness scale from 1 to 10, with 1 being "Dull/Extremely Rolled Off & Lacking Detail", and 10 being "Way Too Bright & Fatiguing", I'd rate the Audio-Technica Woodie lineup (that I've heard) at:

W100 - 2.5
W2002 - 4.75
W1000 - 7.5

The W2002's can be woken up. The W1000's can be toned down. The W100's are like trying to wake up someone the morning after a St. Pattie's Day binge
wink.gif

Mar 18, 2005 at 8:01 PM Post #30 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
I found the W100's to be so rolled off at the top as to be objectionable, even out of a Benchmark DAC1 (a bright source/amp). Just didn't sound natural to my ears *shrug*.

On an overall brightness scale from 1 to 10, with 1 being "Dull/Extremely Rolled Off & Lacking Detail", and 10 being "Way Too Bright & Fatiguing", I'd rate the Audio-Technica Woodie lineup (that I've heard) at:

W100 - 2.5
W2002 - 4.75
W1000 - 7.5

The W2002's can be woken up. The W1000's can be toned down. The W100's are like trying to wake up someone the morning after a St. Pattie's Day binge
wink.gif

Either your ears were bunged up with wax OR the source / amp you were listening through were overly warm OR these phones have got a hell of a lot of bedding in to do before they tone down to "dull" sounding. At the moment (30 hours on the clock) they are bright and "very" revealing. there's no way I'd call them Dull (at this stage of the bed in) heck, I even rolled two OPA 627's into the WNA earlier (in place of LM6171) in an attempt to warm the sound up a bit.... the OPA 627 sure sounds a bit darker but the W100's are nowhere near as warm as others have reported (yet!)

There's also the possibility that the sonic character of these phones can vary from phone to phone... you must remember that these phones use wooden earcups and no two trees will be identical or possess the same density.... even in this day and age man can't control nature so every W100 earcup will be different in character (unique even) unlike the plastic equivalents which will sound much the same from phone to phone.

I was commenting earlier on the treatment of the wood as this will have a pronounced effect on the characteristics of the sound.... if the wood dries out this will affect the sound... if the wood is fed with wax this will also change the characteristics... there are so many variables when you use wood in acoustics.... any violinist will know that no two Stradivarius violins will sound the same... the age of the wood, the patina, the conditions they have been stored in all play a part in making each violin sound unique. Similarly, IMO, no two headphones with wooden earcups can be said to sound identical to one another.... nature doesn't work that way.

My phones "could" be sounding brighter due to the fact they have been kicking about unused in a Japanese warehouse for the past six years.... it's possible the wood has dried out a bit? As I said earlier.. I'm a great believer in feeding wood so watch this space for a "Feed your W100 tweak" thread a few months down the line
tongue.gif

Out of interest has anyone taken these phones apart and, if so, is the inside of the earcup smooth and laqcuered or is it rough and untreated? I ask as this would be the ideal place to feed the wood and it would mean you wouldn't have to strip down the lacquer on the exterior of the earcups.....

Another alternative to feeding with beeswax would be to use Damar varnish (highly respected natural varnish that loudspeaker builders sometimes use to treat paper cones and cabinets) I've used it to great effect on midrange driver cones and cabinets back when I was into building loudspeakers..... another possibility (I'm sure there are plenty of articles re: damar varnish on the web if you search)

The beauty of these phones is you can tweak from the inside and if you make a pigs ear it won't be visible
tongue.gif
just another thought....... it may also be worthwhile altering the shape of the earcup chamber (from inside) to break up standing waves...... even a simple thing like aralditing a small piece of granite onto the inside of the earcup would make a difference....... more complex things like mini deflex panels or honeycomb structures wouldn't be too hard to incorporate..... hell, a good old coating of bitumen may even work wonders.

These phones have got me salivating..... when there's wood involved you can always tune it to your own taste.

Mike.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back