Any anime series that you've been enjoying?
Oct 10, 2008 at 5:50 AM Post #1,846 of 6,444
Really Liked:

Death Note
Samurai Champloo
Afro Samurai
Last Exile

And I always search for new animes to see.

Oct 10, 2008 at 8:33 PM Post #1,847 of 6,444
I really liked 新海 誠's work
which includes Voices of the distance star, the Land of the Promise place, and 5centimeter per second.
All of them made me feel a bit sad inside after finish them, but there are still good.

As of this season...
I am watching
Gundam 00 Season 2
キャシャーン Sins
Tales of Abyss
Toaru_Majutsu_no_Index (love the novel)

also, anyone heard of Eve no Jikan
I just watched the newest episode, absolutely love it, I recommend anyone that can stand non action anime to watch it

Oct 10, 2008 at 9:43 PM Post #1,848 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottyyy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shakugan no Shana

This series was such a disappointment after watching Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha.

The first few episodes started out well, with plenty of the same over-the-top magical action that I so loved from Nanoha. But it quickly devolved into a mind-numbingly boring school-drama slice-of-life phase, and continued on this thread for several episodes. I was unable to finish watching.

When Shakugan no Shana 2nd came out, I was excited, because I had heard from many people that it contained a lot more action and focus on the primary supernatural parts of the plot than the school-drama. I don't know what the hell they were smoking. The entire first half was totally devoid of anything resembling magical mayhem and destruction.

I'm seriously doubting that another studio will be able to make a magical-girl anime better than Nanoha.

Oct 10, 2008 at 9:44 PM Post #1,849 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikoLayer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quote:

Clannad AS

It was just like another Clannad episode - same great drawing, Sunohara antics and whatnot. Everyone seems to be getting about an even amount of exposure, although this is supposed to be Nagisa's arc. Tons of moments worth taking screenies if anything
wink.gif
I get a feeling they would do a round sweep covering all major female crew, since all "alternate endings" would be mutually exclusive, right? That makes me puzzled as they already covered Tomoyo's part once in the OVA (good stuff, btw)

I hope they do this as well. I still need to catch AS and the Clannad Movie, which seem to bring the focus back on Nagisa primarily and I also need to catch that Tomoyo alternate Ending OVA. Personally, if they did another alternate ending OVA, I hope it focuses back on Kotomi Ichinose (although she and Fuko Ibuki did get rather long personal arcs in the main series).

Oct 11, 2008 at 7:41 AM Post #1,850 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by DSlayerZX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really liked 新海 誠's work
which includes Voices of the distance star, the Land of the Promise place, and 5centimeter per second.
All of them made me feel a bit sad inside after finish them, but there are still good.

As of this season...
I am watching
Gundam 00 Season 2
キャシャーン Sins
Tales of Abyss
Toaru_Majutsu_no_Index (love the novel)

also, anyone heard of Eve no Jikan
I just watched the newest episode, absolutely love it, I recommend anyone that can stand non action anime to watch it

I will give due props to Shinkai Makoto, visually there is nothing quite like his - and he does this all by himself I heard? To be honest though, I was not very impressed with the main themes, or how he chose to develop them in his stories as far as the first two you mentioned go. Yet to watch the last one, but I am not to excited about it other than for eyecandy.

Now that someone mentioned Shana, I am a bit worried Index may turn out to be another Shana - gracefully done visuals and animation, loveable characters and I've music - nothing to dislike about other than the original being subpar to begin with. I will have to grudgingly agree with synaesthetic that the drama or slice-of-life part is the weakness of the show. In my case though, action is just something I wouldn't mind seeing occasionally, not a must-have ingredient; rather, I am more intrested in seeing a drama well-done, not half-assed. Shana felt too corny and hopelessly slow, sometimes even absurd in that regard. All this relates back to the novel being ho-hum and dissapointing to begin with (to me anyway).

I did like the first episode of Index very much, but same happened when the first Shana came out, which prompted me to purchase few volumes of the light novel version. Only then I realized the author wants his novel to be percieved as an action-heavy fantasy, which I did not have much interest in other than ever-so-beautiful Ito Noiji illustrations.

That being said, I do believe Index is very promising, will likely become of my favorites from October along with Kemeko Deluxe.

DSlayerZX, I take the light novel version of it is good stuff? It is a shame that it was out of print at the bookstore where I was doing one of my routine mass-purchase for light novels
frown.gif
What other novels would you compare it to?

Still trying to get a hold of the first eps of Eve no Jikan in HD format. Preview did look mighty interesting, and most everyone seemed to think it is something different, in a good way.

Oct 11, 2008 at 10:38 AM Post #1,852 of 6,444
well.. he did done the first one all by him self on a Mac Pro....
From what I know, he actually quit his job o.O stay at home for 7 months and created "voices of the distance star"
And I agree, his art work is amazingly beautiful

as for Toaru_Majutsu_no_Index
I am sorry to tell you that, from what I read so far, Toaru_Majutsu_no_Index the novel has a pretty heavy action element in it too, even though the character development is also very good.

I can't find Eve no Jikan in HD, not sure if there really is any, since from what i know, they only play on one station. Lets just say, its different, there is a lot of thinking in there.

Oct 12, 2008 at 1:58 AM Post #1,853 of 6,444
Just got back from Anime USA in VA. Ironically I don't spend much time watching anime at the cons anymore, but some new ones I caught an episode or two of that were pretty enjoyable were:

Natsume Yuujinchou
Zettai Karen Children
Da Capo II SS
Nabari no Oo
Sekirei
Onari-sama

Oct 12, 2008 at 4:09 AM Post #1,854 of 6,444
I think Wagaya no Oinari-sama is quite enjoyable. A fox spirit and a miko go live in the city to protect two boys. There is a lack of a serious storyline though so most of it is slice of life. It has some funny moments.

Oct 12, 2008 at 4:15 AM Post #1,855 of 6,444
Just started watching Soul Eater today. It's pretty good except that the animation is pretty pathetic considering the quality of other recent animes (macross frontier, code geass, etc.). I guess I just expect more from a studio like Bones. I'll definitely watch the show though because the animation doesn't bother me very much.

edit: I'm on episode 8 right now and the animation really has grown on me and I'm starting to enjoy it a lot more.

The new Gundam 00 season just started so I'll be watching that.
I also just started watching Blade of the Immortal (Mugen no Juuin).

Past animes I've watched:
-Berserk (9/10)
-Bleach (stopped watching the anime 20-30 episodes back, still read the manga)
-Naruto (stopped watching the anime 20-30 episodes back, still read the manga)
-Code Geass (8.9/10)
-Macross Frontier (9/10)
-Darker than Black (9/10)
-Black Lagoon (9.4/10)
-Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (9.8/10)
-Trigun (9.7/10)
-Wolf's Rain (7.5/10)
-Rurouni Kenshin (10/10
-Yu Yu Hauksho (9.8/10)
-Tenjo Tenge (this could have been a very good anime had it been longer to allow for proper story and character development) (7.5/10)
-Eureka Seven (9.6/10)
-Fullmetal Alchemist (9.7/10)
-Full Metal Panic! (9/10)
-Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu (8.8/10)
-Full metal Panic! The Second Raid (8.8/10)
-Blood+ (9.6/10)
-Cowboy Bebop (9.8/10)
-Samurai Champloo (9.2/10)
-Death Note (9.1/10)
-Monster (if this was shortened to ~50 episodes it be an easy 10/10, otherwise 9.7/10)
-Gantz (I read the manga, which is really good, but I've only watched about half of the episodes because it's pretty bad)
-Elfen Lied (I've read the manga, which is really good, but I've only watched about half of the episodes because it's pretty bad).
-Dragonball (Z and GT)

edit: almost forgot:
-Gun X Sword (9/10)

**The number after the decimal is a rough estimate really. I made these up off the top of my head but I'm firm on the number before the decimal.

Oct 12, 2008 at 7:02 AM Post #1,856 of 6,444
Demon, i'd recommend D.Gray-man. It's up to 103 episodes so the catch up will be steep, and the first 40-50 episodes are slow going, but boy does it ever pick up and reward the last half of the 100.

I agree with your ratings for the most part of what I've seen from your list, but I really don't get the anime community's love for Trigun. I watched it and really tried to like it, but it seemed to have zero flow and I just couldn't get into it. On the other hand, Cowboy Bebop was basically an animated sitcom, but the character types completely won me over. I didn't really feel enlightened by the series, and the whole drama thing in the end seemed odd in such a 'light' series, but I enjoyed the ride and I would certainly give this a perfect 10.

Samurai Champloo, while being absolutely stunning in visual quality and style, the story seemed to much like a sitcom, and I felt unsatisfied at the end. I'd probly drop it to an 8, visual quality and style by themselves making it worth the watch.

Another suggestion: Witch Hunter Robin. Interesting series, nothing groundbreaking, but enjoyable with a decent story and good characters. I'd put it around a 8.5, with nothing in particular carrying the rating.

Gungrave, Gunslinger Girl, and Noir (one of my personal favorites) also great animes, if you are into the mafia/hitman type story. Gunslinger Girl in particular is quite sad.

Btw, if I could rate Death Note a 20 on a 1-10 scale it would deserve it. Clearly the highest quality anime in recent times, every episode felt like a 2 hour movie.

Oct 12, 2008 at 7:34 AM Post #1,857 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxvla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Demon, i'd recommend D.Gray-man. It's up to 103 episodes so the catch up will be steep, and the first 40-50 episodes are slow going, but boy does it ever pick up and reward the last half of the 100.

I agree with your ratings for the most part of what I've seen from your list, but I really don't get the anime community's love for Trigun. I watched it and really tried to like it, but it seemed to have zero flow and I just couldn't get into it. On the other hand, Cowboy Bebop was basically an animated sitcom, but the character types completely won me over. I didn't really feel enlightened by the series, and the whole drama thing in the end seemed odd in such a 'light' series, but I enjoyed the ride and I would certainly give this a perfect 10.

Samurai Champloo, while being absolutely stunning in visual quality and style, the story seemed to much like a sitcom, and I felt unsatisfied at the end. I'd probly drop it to an 8, visual quality and style by themselves making it worth the watch.

Another suggestion: Witch Hunter Robin. Interesting series, nothing groundbreaking, but enjoyable with a decent story and good characters. I'd put it around a 8.5, with nothing in particular carrying the rating.

Gungrave, Gunslinger Girl, and Noir (one of my personal favorites) also great animes, if you are into the mafia/hitman type story. Gunslinger Girl in particular is quite sad.

Btw, if I could rate Death Note a 20 on a 1-10 scale it would deserve it. Clearly the highest quality anime in recent times, every episode felt like a 2 hour movie.

Thanks for the suggestions. Gungrave was next on my list. I've also been thinking about watching D.Gray-man. Have you seen Samurai Seven? If so, how is it?

I'm probably being kinda harsh on Death Note but I haven't watched it since '06 but I agree that it is very good. I agree that the story of Samurai Champloo is pretty shallow and was somewhat unsatisfying but I gave it a 9 because I absolutely love the animation/art direction, music and the style and design of the show.

Oct 12, 2008 at 7:40 AM Post #1,858 of 6,444
Samurai 7 is good. The whole CG robots thing is a bit out of place, even though it seemed to be designed to look like that. I'd give it somewhere around a 7-8. The only really interesting part of the series is the rise to power (you'll see if you watch it). Don't mean to give anything away so I'm being generic.

If you like gun shows like black lagoon, you will completely love Gungrave, Gunslinger Girl and Noir. Gunslinger Girl in particular is in my top 10 all time. Gungrave has a bit of unreal feel to it that makes it hard to grasp early on, but the ending is one of the best I've ever seen. Noir is just solid top to bottom. Great music, good action, brutal cold blooded girls killing. I love it!

Oct 12, 2008 at 8:06 AM Post #1,860 of 6,444
As to what I'm personally watching now:

Naruto/Bleach: its really just become the series you can't stop watching cause you've invested so much time already)

Soul Eater: Graphic quality and style are amazing. Characters are fun, though could be better developed.

D. Gray-man: one of the best semi-monster of the week shows, but in the end has a decent storyline with TONS of backstory to discover later in the series. one of my current favorites.

Edit: I'm also working my way through (in story chronological order) the Macross dynasty of series. I'm about halfway through Macross 7, which has been kinda lame, but seems to be getting better. I actually haven't watched this in a couple weeks. I need to get back on it, so I can finish Macross Frontier I started a couple months ago.

New season releases last couple weeks:

Casshern Sins: Slick style, beautiful landscapes. Storyline is nonexistant in the first episode so I can't comment on that. Looking forward to more exposition.

Shikabane Hime: Aka: Pure monster of the week. This could be good and also could get old REAL fast. I'll give it a bit more time.

Toaru Majutsu no Index: Interesting first episode. The bouncing of serious and funny is addictive. Interplay between rather stale character types is fairly well refreshed. Definitely will be watching more of this.

Kurosh(i)tsuji: Of all the new animes this week this one is my favorite. The style is nicely different than typical anime, and the board game and ensuing events are nicely executed. The interplay between staff and butler is a bit over the top, but still entertaining.

Gai-re-zero: Eh.. This is like a bad bad bad version of ghost in the shell mixed with a typical monster of the week show. I don't see how this title will be able to sustain 26 much less more episodes. The first episode itself has more plot than most animes have in 10 episodes. While some may find this good with all the filler in stuff like bleach/naruto, it's quite bad and leaves a hollow feeling. Might watch a few more if I get bored, but unlikely.

Yozakura Quartet: Concept is old, character types are old, but something about this show makes me want to keep watching. The chemistry between the 4 main characters and a few supporting characters is fun. I'll give it a decent run unless it really throws me off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back