another recommendation thread...
Feb 20, 2004 at 10:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

zachary80

1000+ Head-Fier
Looking for an open 'phone that would mate well with a pimeta.

Right now I am thinking about the hd580 (can try it locally, ~$160 at amazon) or the sr225 ($200 at headphone).

Basically, I listen to pretty much everything. My number one and two would be Rock (from alternative to metal) and Jazz. I may start listening to more classical once I buy some new CDs (don't have any now but like it).

edit: Oh and my price range is definitely under $250, preferably under 200. I don't like the dt770's (I thought they were uncomfortable, but I didn't listen to them with my own amp), and I find the er4p/s to be extremely uncomfortable. I liked my hd497's, and I found the mdr7509 to be the most comfortable headphones I have worn except one pair of AKG's (don't remember the model)

Feb 20, 2004 at 11:38 PM Post #2 of 24
I would guess that you'd prefer the HD580, if you liked the 497s. I discovered that I personally don't like the sound of Grados, unless they start with RS and cost big bucks. The Senns should also be more comfortable than the Grados. Before you tell me to see your sig over at the [H], I got to listen to HD600s and Grado SR-325s, so similar models but not exactly what you're looking at.

I was WAY more impressed with the Senns than the Grados (even RS-2) for jazz. The Senns sounded like you were sitting in a small, intimate jazz club while the Grados sounded like the musicians were standing around your table blasting their instruments at you. The Senns were just a lot smoother and better balanced for jazz, IMO. I liked the Grados fairly well for rock (listened to a Joe Satriani disc and some crappy P.O.D.). They did really well with electric guitars and sounded more exciting than the Senns. With rock the Grados felt like they were encouraging me to get up and dance or sing along, while the Senns said "Sit back, relax, and enjoy the show!"

Either would probably be ok, but if jazz and classical will be listened to frequently and you are interested in comfort, the Senns wil probably be a better choice. Also if you don't mind used, you might want to keep an eye on the FS/T forum here as I've seen several pairs of HD600s going for ~$200 give or take in the last 2 months.

Feb 21, 2004 at 4:12 AM Post #3 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by Elec
Either would probably be ok, but if jazz and classical will be listened to frequently and you are interested in comfort, the Senns wil probably be a better choice. Also if you don't mind used, you might want to keep an eye on the FS/T forum here as I've seen several pairs of HD600s going for ~$200 give or take in the last 2 months.

Yes, I had my own thread, but I decided I would rather have the hd580's for a couple reasons.

1)I would prefer something new

2)I was under the impression that there was not much difference between the 600's and the 580's

Feb 21, 2004 at 9:36 AM Post #4 of 24
1) I have no problem with that. It can be quite satisfying to unwrap something brand new and know that you're the first person to ever use it
smily_headphones1.gif

2) That's the general opinion. I can't really say for sure because I've never heard the 580s. I imagine the difference is minor unless you have a really serious system behind it. If new is your preference and you don't already have a killer system, then the 580s probably are a better value than the 600s

Feb 21, 2004 at 9:51 AM Post #5 of 24
580s $149 at Audio Advisor at the moment. 600's $249. At that price difference I'd go with the 580s and upgrade cable or amp upgrade. More bang for buck.

Mar 24, 2004 at 10:21 PM Post #6 of 24
Well, I still havn't quite decided what to get. So, I am bumping it with some more details.

My music distribution is probably 60% Rock, 30% Jazz, and 10% Classical. Classical may increase proportionally with time, if anything will. I am going to be using my mrd7509 in addition to the whatever I buy, if that matters at all. I also own a pimeta. Once again, I am looking for a brand-new pair under $250.

Mar 24, 2004 at 10:50 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
Intriguing comment about the Dt770 comfort. What didn't you like about them?

They were clamping too tight on my head (maybe it was the Pro? I always get them mixed up). I don't remember exactly, but I didn't like the sound as much and I didn't see what was so special about the bass.

HOWEVER

I went in looking for semi-protable, closed headphones that didn't require an amp, and I am sure this impaired my open-mindedness. I was newer to hi-fi (only a year and a half so far, and that is if you count hd497's), and because of this I probably wasn't listening the same as I do now. The equipment I was listening with was supposed to be my CD player, but it died, so I had to use their CD Player, and their mixer. I don't know if anything was properly amped or not, but it was a nice CD player with my CD.

If I end up going to Montana this summer (headroom anyone?), who knows what kind of pain my wallet will feel
evil_smiley.gif
Until then, I am dealing online or at Sweetwater (recording studios).

edit here are some quotes that I find relevant:

Quote:

Originally posted by aerius
I own both the Grado 225 (often called the best rock 'phone) and Senn 580. I've now owned the Grados for almost 2 months and have finally gone through all my CDs, including a lot of Black Sabbath, Metallica, Slayer, and other rock & metal.

The Grado 225s are better on Metallica & Slayer, they make those 2 bands sound raw, evil and aggressive in a way that the Senns can't match. With the rest of my rock it's a toss-up, but I think there's a general pattern that goes something like this. If the recording has a good spacious mix (Tea Party, Pink Floyd) the edge goes to the Senns, close-miked or grungy recordings without much of a soundstage (Ramones, Offspring) are better on the Grados.

The Senns don't have the raw feeling of energy and drive which the Grados do, but they can still kick ass on rock.

Quote:

Originally posted by fewtch
For me, this is the primary reason why I don't like Senns with rock nearly as well as even a pair of Sony V6. I need that raw energy and drive to get emotionally involved in guitar-oriented hard rock (e.g. early Rush). I listen to very little heavy rock these days anymore, so it's not a big deal.

From just these two posts, it seems like the mdr7509 (upper of the V6) and the hd580 would compliment each other quite well.

Mar 25, 2004 at 10:27 PM Post #9 of 24
It was the DT770 PRO that I tried

Mar 25, 2004 at 10:33 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by zachary80
It was the DT770 PRO that I tried

Did you use any type of amp with them? If not, there's no way you could expect them to live up to their representation as bass monsters.

Mar 25, 2004 at 10:41 PM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by Shurenuff
Did you use any type of amp with them? If not, there's no way you could expect them to live up to their representation as bass monsters.

They were un-amped as far as I know, like I said above. It was running through a mixer which had a volume control, but I don't know how good it was.

Mar 25, 2004 at 11:09 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

They were un-amped as far as I know, like I said above. It was running through a mixer which had a volume control, but I don't know how good it was.

Then I don't think this is a fair assessment...

Quote:

I don't remember exactly, but I didn't like the sound as much and I didn't see what was so special about the bass.

Mar 25, 2004 at 11:14 PM Post #13 of 24
dont' spend more than 150 on a pair of hd580's

they are well worth more than that, but with patience you sould be able to grab some for at the very most 150 usd.

they rock, i love them. they're great for rock, jazz, classical ect.

I think that with a PiMeta, the 580's do rock very nicely. at least to my taste.
i'm listening to my morning jacket with them right now!
600smile.gif

Mar 25, 2004 at 11:59 PM Post #14 of 24
I would highly recommend Grado's over the HD580 for rock. I got some HD580's a couple months ago and they still seem WAY too laid back-even through my JMT amp. Comfy but too laid back. I would describe the Grado sound as being in the front few rows of a live concert. On that comparative baseline the HD580's put me in the balcony rest room. 580's are fine for listening to soft background music while trying to concentrate on writing, but way too sedate for rock. I find myself grabbing my cheaper Grado SR80's for jazz most times as well. I just I just prefer the Grado sound (except that the aluminum SR325's sound harsh to me).

Jon

Mar 26, 2004 at 12:07 AM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by Shurenuff
Then I don't think this is a fair assessment...

I didn't expect it to be, that is why I said it in every post that I even mentioned the dt770's. But the part about them being uncomfortable is most likely do to me having listened to the Pro, not the regular. And like I also already said, I wasn't listening all that close seeing as they were not what I was looking for then.

sleepkyng, I have no problem spending an extra $10, including shipping, but if you could point me in the right direction that would be great
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, do you guys think it is fair to say that the mdr7509 would make up for what the hd580 is not good at? I plan on keeping them, at least for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back