another cable question
Apr 3, 2008 at 8:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

soul05

100+ Head-Fier
so i got some akg k501s for a deal and i want to rewire them since the stick cable looks very puny.

so im looking into recabling for the first time. im specifically lokoing at redco because ive read nothing but good things about them.
the cables im looking into are:
1. Canare L-4E6S Quad Mic Cable
2. Mogami W2534 Quad Mic Cable
3. Gotham GAC-4 Quad Mic Cable
4. Redco TGS-QD Quad Mic/Line Cable

i can easily find posts on canare and mogami, but has anyone used the gotham or even the redco wire? the redco wire looks interesting to me because its even cheaper than the canare wire. if there are any other suggestions, please feel free to chime in. im looking to spend no more than a dollar per foot. thanks!

Apr 3, 2008 at 9:52 PM Post #3 of 11
the k501s are a worthy headphone to recable. i assume you're going to make them dual cup entry? i recently did mine and it was fairly easy...i used a grado rs1 cable that i had lying around since i had those recabled previously. added some techflex and they're quite pretty, IMO.

i've only used canare and mogami and both are worthy cables, though i prefer the mogami by a bit.

Apr 3, 2008 at 9:54 PM Post #4 of 11
I liked Mogami a bit more than canare (after comparing a few more times, at first it was hard to tell). Considering that at the end of the day, the difference is only a couple of bucks, just get the best one. If you were considering things like Cardas or other boutique cables, then there's a HUGE difference in price, but for this kind, I'd say Mogami is fantastic.

Apr 3, 2008 at 10:03 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the k501s are a worthy headphone to recable. i assume you're going to make them dual cup entry? i recently did mine and it was fairly easy...i used a grado rs1 cable that i had lying around since i had those recabled previously. added some techflex and they're quite pretty, IMO.

i've only used canare and mogami and both are worthy cables, though i prefer the mogami by a bit.

after i bought my k501s, i looked them up on the forum to see if they were being recabled. i found your thread and ive been following it. i even bookmarked it for the pictures when i get around to recabling mine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I liked Mogami a bit more than canare (after comparing a few more times, at first it was hard to tell). Considering that at the end of the day, the difference is only a couple of bucks, just get the best one. If you were considering things like Cardas or other boutique cables, then there's a HUGE difference in price, but for this kind, I'd say Mogami is fantastic.

i was going to get the mogami over the cardas, but i was mainly looking into whether or not people have used the gotham or redco cables. but if theres no one else who use them to recable headphones, im going to end up with the mogamis. maybe some canare or redco for some cheaper sony headphones =P

Apr 3, 2008 at 10:50 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What did you do for the y-split kugino? How did you take it off?

Apr 4, 2008 at 12:19 AM Post #8 of 11
rolleyes.gif

Apr 4, 2008 at 6:30 AM Post #10 of 11
Mogami W2534 is the one to get for the best specifications, while Canare L-4E6S has similar specs but increased durability. As far as I can tell, the Gotham is similar to the Mogami.

Another interesting option would be to use two two-conductor cables (as opposed to a single four-conductor cable). This means that you won't have to worry so much about the Y-split, since you'll already have two well-covered cables. Stuff them in Techflex/nylon/etc. for the rest of the cable's length and it'll be just like having starquad, but with better specifications. Check out Canare DA202 or DA202AT (easier-to-tear foil shield), for example.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 4, 2008 at 7:07 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mogami W2534 is the one to get for the best specifications, while Canare L-4E6S has similar specs but increased durability. As far as I can tell, the Gotham is similar to the Mogami.

Another interesting option would be to use two two-conductor cables (as opposed to a single four-conductor cable). This means that you won't have to worry so much about the Y-split, since you'll already have two well-covered cables. Stuff them in Techflex/nylon/etc. for the rest of the cable's length and it'll be just like having starquad, but with better specifications. Check out Canare DA202 or DA202AT (easier-to-tear foil shield), for example.
smily_headphones1.gif

yeah i was thinking about some 2 conductor wire not too long ago. i might recable my cheapo sonys to some 16gauge speaker wire i have left over from my car audio materials.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back