Announcement: The Edition 6 is Dead
Apr 10, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #256 of 314
Talk about $6K worth of headphones with drivers dying repeatedly. With their customer service lately, I wouldn't be comfortable trusting them with that kind of money at all. They really need to go back on the pricing to under $3K if they want to stand a chance at selling these. Otherwise it'll be such a waste.

Apr 10, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #258 of 314
  Talk about $6K worth of headphones with drivers dying repeatedly. With their customer service lately, I wouldn't be comfortable trusting them with that kind of money at all. They really need to go back on the pricing to under $3K if they want to stand a chance at selling these. Otherwise it'll be such a waste.

in their defense.it probably prototype not a finish product.but i could sense V2 going to come around after the release this headphone.like let's say....6 months. but don't worry there's always beta user upgrade programs for the very loyal of hifiman owner

Apr 10, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #259 of 314
I've been very vocal about my dislike for how HFM treats its loyal customers over the past year or so, but that being said I think the mentality and cultural difference between the mainland Chinese buyers, who are hungry and will sweep up anything "latest and greatest" and consumers elsewhere in the world is at play here (remember Fang resides in Tianjin China so he's more absorbed into the Chinese market compared to elsewhere) What happened over the past months have led Fang to a better understanding of what his clients outside China thinks.

I had a short conversation with him a month or so ago, where I did not held back my tongue in showing my displeasure. He did admitted that he have learnt a lot and he now understand the international market much better now. I was rather unhappy with the quality of some of my HFM gears (both my RE-600 broke, and my HM901 dock broke after a couple of months) and he assured me he's working hard to have better conyrol with the QC of his contract manufacturers.

Give us a more reliable gear at a more realistic price and I'm sure he will win over a lot of fans. It might not look too good right now but he need to work hatd to turn this around. In the meantime count me in as a very keen and interested observer.

All these can sound hollow to us consumers who paid a lot of money for his gears but I genuinely believe if he's able to get the QC side of things under control, his gears are actually pretty top notch.

That said, I ain't gonna pay the $6K asking price for his Susvara nor the $2K asking price for his RE-2000 no matter what he thought it might be worth.

Apr 10, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #260 of 314
They really should have 400S for $199, the 400i for $299, the 560 for $399, the Edition X for $499 (comparable to a used LCD-2), the HE1K for $1499, and the Edition 6 i mean susvara for $2999. Through the EF-6, I would still give the edge to Utopia.

Then, their Shangri-La would be less offensive.

Apr 10, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #262 of 314
  It did have a rather large soundstage, I think, though there were no genuine classical orchestral recordings on their piece of schiit portable player for me to verify that on.

That's a shame, a large strings section struggling to be heard over the brass is also a good test of tuning, and whether there's one of those horrid upper-mid suckouts that so many headphones suffer.

Oh well, if the drivers are so frail that they regularly die at shows, and the thing costs more than either Abyss or Utopia, it's largely academic anyway. Sasquatch is looking like quite a poor bet.

Apr 10, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #263 of 314
  RIP

Susvara / EF1000 died at CanJam SoCal 2017

what a terrible loss for all those that came to hear it in action,

hope it will soon be able to "blow us away", as it did itself

Did this happen after the show or right before closing? I listened to it on Sunday about an hour before closing and it was working fine, and sounded the same as it did the day before.

Apr 10, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #264 of 314
I guess dem speaker amp watts were low quality

Apr 11, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #267 of 314
I mean check my sig. But I found it more spacious and clinical than the HE-6 (both driven out of the EF-6). Nevertheless, I preferred Utopia, Ether E, SR-009, K1K, etc. 

I might've even preferred HD800, but wasn't able to A/B.

Apr 11, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #268 of 314
Excerpt

Quote:

I did get a little intel that Dr. Fang Bian will likely increase the time between updates on his headphones, to keep consumers happy.

For what its worth.

I mean check my sig. But I found it more spacious and clinical than the HE-6 (both driven out of the EF-6). Nevertheless, I preferred Utopia, Ether E, SR-009, K1K, etc. 

Can you elaborate on that?
If you heard the HEKv2 what was the FR like in comparison? Or the FR of the Susvara vs SR-009?

Apr 11, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #269 of 314

Said without a hint of sour grapes?

Apr 12, 2017 at 12:47 AM Post #270 of 314
Their music selection was so poor that I was unable to draw wide conclusions. As I say, heard no authentic orchestral music of the classical genre. If they had let me cart it over to the Ragnarok or upstairs to the WA33 I could say something interesting about it. But the EF-6 is such a mediocre amp (and their selection so limited—I think they had 4-5 "classical" tracks, of which only two were genuinely classical and those were both solo instruments.

As I say, their incompetence and user hostility is stunning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back