Anedio D2 DAC release
Aug 8, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #901 of 1,416
The final version of my U2 mod.  The output reclocking circuit is now sipping power from the input LC filter.  I need to cut a trace on the PCB in order to do that.  I also added a small non-magnetic inductor to further block out noise from that section of the circuit.  The end result is that this U2 is now pretty independent of USB cable used
biggrin.gif

Aug 8, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #902 of 1,416
Quote:
The only problem is the long wait before their webstore opens again for D2 sales
frown.gif

This, but you can get on a list, so they'll email you when it pops up for sale again, thats where i am

Quote:
The final version of my U2 mod.  The output reclocking circuit is now sipping power from the input LC filter.  I need to cut a trace on the PCB in order to do that.  I also added a small non-magnetic inductor to further block out noise from that section of the circuit.  The end result is that this U2 is now pretty independent of USB cable used
biggrin.gif

So how does it compare to the Legato now? or is the legato still loads better?

Aug 8, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #903 of 1,416
Quote:
biggrin.gif

Nice. Do you still see an advantage to having something like the SoTM card or a Vaunix provide the Vbus line instead of a regular motherboard port?

Aug 9, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #904 of 1,416
Quote:

This, but you can get on a list, so they'll email you when it pops up for sale again, thats where i am

So how does it compare to the Legato now? or is the legato still loads better?

The only problem now is that Anedio is not replying to emails
frown.gif

It sounds about 85-90% of that of the Legato.  Legato still throws a slightly larger sound stage and the sound is tiny bit more dynamic.

Aug 9, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #905 of 1,416
Quote:
Nice. Do you still see an advantage to having something like the SoTM card or a Vaunix provide the Vbus line instead of a regular motherboard port?

I was looking at the SoTM card and I see that they are also using loads of LC filters to remove noise from the PC's power supply.  I don't know how it compares with SoTM, since I don't have one to test.  I was using SBT+EDO.  But when I switched USB cables from a Furutech GT2 to a $2 PC USB cable, the sound of the modded U2 was about the same.  Before the mod, changing the cable would change the sound quite noticeably.

Aug 9, 2012 at 4:14 AM Post #906 of 1,416
Quote:

I'd think D2 is the better one, after all, this is the Anedio D2 thread
biggrin.gif

Ok, seriously, by looking at the internal pics, D2 is using much higher quality components.  Better DAC chip, better clock module, etc.  Also, D2's published specs measured spectacularly, including the headphone section.  The only problem is the long wait before their webstore opens again for D2 sales
frown.gif

This is what stopping me from purchasing, waiting.....

Ok, can anyone give a link to a detailed review of D2? Better if it would be comparisons with another DACs, please.

Aug 9, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #908 of 1,416
I'm trying to figure out why it is taking so long for Anedio to manufacture the D2.  I don't think James is doing all the SMT soldering himself.  Most likely, he has this done by a contract manfacturer, but performed some final soldering himself (the Crystek clock is one such manually soldered component on D2).

Then I saw the Toslink receiver module he used.  It is a Toshiba TORX147PL.  This part is no longer manufacturer by Toshiba due to the destruction of the Toslink factory in last year's Thailand flood.  Most major online electronics store do not have stock on this part and even substitute part by Everlight Electronics is all sold out.

Looking at netcomponents.com, they still list this part being available, but in limited quantites in various countries.  Maybe James need to take a look if this is in fact the part that is causing the hold up.

BTW, anyone got any luck in contacting Anedio?  No one there seems to be replying to emails anymore.  And they don't list a phone number on their website.

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #909 of 1,416
Does anyone know of a way to directly select an input on the D2 w/o having to cycle through them. I'd like to program my D2 into my Harmony One remote and set macros so specific inputs can be selected. any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Aug 11, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #910 of 1,416
Quote:
I'm trying to figure out why it is taking so long for Anedio to manufacture the D2.  I don't think James is doing all the SMT soldering himself.  Most likely, he has this done by a contract manfacturer, but performed some final soldering himself (the Crystek clock is one such manually soldered component on D2).

Then I saw the Toslink receiver module he used.  It is a Toshiba TORX147PL.  This part is no longer manufacturer by Toshiba due to the destruction of the Toslink factory in last year's Thailand flood.  Most major online electronics store do not have stock on this part and even substitute part by Everlight Electronics is all sold out.

Looking at netcomponents.com, they still list this part being available, but in limited quantites in various countries.  Maybe James need to take a look if this is in fact the part that is causing the hold up.

BTW, anyone got any luck in contacting Anedio?  No one there seems to be replying to emails anymore.  And they don't list a phone number on their website.

That could be part of it, but I also know they were flooded with orders from all over the globe. And as a family run operation there's only so much time in each day to build the units, test them, pack them, ship them, answer emails, and still maintain some free time. That's not to mention time spent designing (an eventual replacement for the A1 amp is the obvious goal). Plus James spends a lot of time doing volunteer work in his community, and places that as a high priority. 

I imagine if he did away with all other activities and just worked on Anedio stuff 12 hours a day 7 days a week, he could make a lot more money. That doesn't seem to be his goal though. 

Quote:
Does anyone know of a way to directly select an input on the D2 w/o having to cycle through them. I'd like to program my D2 into my Harmony One remote and set macros so specific inputs can be selected. any help would be appreciated.

thanks

I don't believe there are discrete codes for each input. If there is, it's a hidden feature that only James would know about. But I doubt it since the original remote did not have supporting keys. 

Aug 13, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #912 of 1,416
Quote:
thanks for the response. I did email Anedio but didn't get a response. I imagine they are overwhelmed at the moment

No problem. I know it is probably frustrating for them, because they want to offer great service. But when they are faced with a huge number of orders, it makes more sense to focus on getting the devices built rather than soliciting new customers. Each batch has sold out very quickly so there's got to be a focus on getting more of them ready. Still, it's not ideal for them nor is it ideal for someone who is thinking of buying. Hopefully they can figure something out to remedy the situation. 

Aug 13, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #913 of 1,416
Hi friends... I have received this email from Anedio.. What do you think?

August, 05 2012

Hello Edgar,

How are you.
Thank you for your inquiry.

Our estimated offer of next batch will be within few months but do not yet have the exact date (our estimated release is end September)
I would like to tag your email and send you a pre-notification when I receive this exact date.

Thank you.
Elisabeth
Customer Service
Anedio LLC

Edgar Puglisi

Aug 13, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #914 of 1,416
Hi...

Following the review about Ar-t Legato that made Viper2001, I wrote a e-mail to Pat ([Mod Edit: Email address removed]to get more info about your oncoming USB DAC... Down is his answer to my email:

Code:
[color=rgb(42, 42, 42)] At 03:57 PM 8/12/2012, you wrote: >Hi Analog Research-Technology friends. > >I am a novel mastering engineer. My name is Edgar Puglisi. I live in  >Maracaibo - Venezuela. > >I am searching a good dac converter for my studio. I have read  >pretty good comments and reviews about your Legato USB to SPDIF  >converter with asynchronous transfer. > >I have checked other DACs but the prices are too expensive. Yes, they are. >The only one that has a good price/features relation is Anedio D2,  >but users are saying that its USB implementation is only decent.  >Legato could be a good option but is only 16/44.1 khz. For good reason. >In relation a Veloce, I can't see any reviews about it. Because we are not making it. Problem getting parts. We are either  going to redesign it, or just not make it. At this point, I am not sure. >I am seeing in your web site that soon will be available your new  >complete 24/96 USB DAC. I hope that it has both rca and balanced XLR output No, unbalanced only. > and the audio quality is extraordinary. Well, the clock(s) will be good. >If you have any news about it let me know please. Two models are planned. One will do 24/96, but only with USB inputs. The other will do 44 kHz only, but will also have a SPDIF input. In all cases, the 44 kHz only models will have better clocks. Long  story, but let's say the laws of physics are to blame. Thanks, Pat [/color]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back