android overtaking apple is what linux should have done to windows back in the day
Mar 16, 2010 at 12:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

uzziah

Headphoneus Supremus
it is, can't you smell it?

ok, so clearly the iphone isn't be "overtaken" yet. it's still kickin ass. but android is catching up. android is got some serious steam behind them. just think about what would happen if google started pulling its appls from the iphone??? damn

but then google would become the next microsoft, instead of apple which IS already the next microsoft, and ****............

let's just hope google doesn't loose its morals. its "be kind" philosophy. i truly believe they mean that. let's just hope to god they hold onto it. because ****, with the power they already wield, and with how the conqueur EVERTHIGN they touch for one simple reason: everything they do, they do it better than anyone else!!! every ****in thing. jesus that's impressive. form search to image search to maps, to calender, mail, ****ing everything

anyway, my contract with ATT is up in three months. i'm thinking of dropping ATT and going to get a droid on verizon. or rather, what i'll probably do is wait maybe 6months from now and see if a better android phone comes down, maybe by HTC

anyway, i'm lovin android. i've wanted to support linux forever. and i do in my old ibm x30 laptop i use aas my writing laptop. it's perfect for that. just run xubuntu, with a P3-M1.2ghz, 512mb ram , 40gb hdd and wifi.................tiny form factor with no optical drive, and it's a good old solid IBM thinkpad, no lenovo ****, and what's best of all for writing: the KEYBOARD is ****ing heaven on earth. i tried out a macbook keyboard in the apple store the other day; OK, but can't hold a candle to a real thinkpad board

peace

Mar 16, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #3 of 18
let's wait and see what happens with this lawsuit Apple filed against HTC for patent infringement. they definitely have Android and Google in their crosshairs.

Mar 16, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #5 of 18
But Linux isn't a money making cooperation like google... There lies the problem.

Mar 16, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #6 of 18
Go look at orkut if you think google conquers everything they touch. Helps if you read portugese, though. For some reason.

I like my G1 but it's not for everyone. The iphone has a more slick UI and a lot of people like it, and that's fine by me.

I have an older brother living in singapore who tells me that if his iphone 3gs didn't also let him watch recorded tv shows and read email he wouldn't like it as a phone. His complaints have nothing to do with 3g signal availability - that whole island has good coverage.

Mar 16, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #7 of 18
Don't count out Apple or Microsoft just yet - Windows Phone 7 looks fantastic.
Plus Google is not good, Google has been more honest in the past than previous corporations but make no mistake that they're a business and their sole concern is money.

Mar 16, 2010 at 8:17 PM Post #8 of 18
My contract with AT&T for my iphone is up in a few months too. I'll be looking at the new iphone very carefully. If it's the best phone on the market when it launches, I'll support it again for another 2 years. I don't care who makes my phone, I just buy the best available at the time of purchase. Personally, I wouldn't mind getting away from apple and their "our way or the highway" closed systems, and support something open like android, but unfortunately nothing has been able to better the iphone yet (overall).

Regarding linux... as with a few years ago, there are still too many driver issues for the impossibly large combination of hardware, IMO, and this is holding them back. I've tried installing linux (mostly ubuntu) on several machines, and on some it works great, on others I get plagued with a driver issue that I just can't seem to resolve, whether it's a video card problem, or something stupid like getting smooth mouse use from a trackpad on certain laptops. It generally drives me insane and back to windows. Now with windows 7, I see less reason than ever to switch tbh.

Mar 16, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #9 of 18
Oh, I should point out for clarity: There is a lot more linux on cell phones than just Android. It's far more common than most people know, and has been for at least 10 years.

There are likely more phones running some form of linux than there are iphones. Possibly by a wide margin.

People just don't notice the embedded linux - but there are several times more embedded systems running linux than PC systems.

Mar 16, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #10 of 18
I disagree. The only reason Android has taken over the phone platform market is because it's the only one. Linux is too segmented a market for domination (Different distros, package management, filesystems, etc.)

Mar 16, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #11 of 18
If Linux were easier to get working with my programs designed for Windows, I would have been using it years ago.

The reason I use Windows? Compatibility. No brand loyalty, no preference in visuals and I hate what Vista/W7 did to my sound options. The only nice thing about Windows is that I can get it from Microsoft for cheap from our partnership.

On a more relative note, I couldn't care less about the iPod Touch/Phone OS. Good for Android/Google for fighting against a won market, I'm looking forward to seeing more of their mass take over and alternatives to the old school giants.

Mar 16, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by revolink24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I disagree. The only reason Android has taken over the phone platform market is because it's the only one. Linux is too segmented a market for domination (Different distros, package management, filesystems, etc.)

I'm confused. Are you unaware that Android is Linux with an application running on top of it?

Mar 16, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
let's wait and see what happens with this lawsuit Apple filed against HTC for patent infringement. they definitely have Android and Google in their crosshairs.

Nokia are suing Apple for the same thing.

Apple isn't the second coming of christ the way some folk round here like to believe.

Mar 17, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by revolink24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

As mentioned above Linux dominates the phone market - Symbian and Android are Linux based.
Linux on the desktop is great but I don't think it's quite there - in my book Linux runs behind the scenes and its successes are in phones, servers and other embedded devices.

Mar 17, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzer1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nokia are suing Apple for the same thing.

Apple isn't the second coming of christ the way some folk round here like to believe.

Not quite. Nokia are required by law to provide licences to their phone patents, otherwise nobody would be allowed to make a mobile/cell phone at all. However, with Apple they refused unless Apple also licensed their iPhone patents to Nokia, so Apple told them where to go.

Considering how grotesquely awful most phone UIs are, it's a good thing Android is becoming popular. However, it looks as if the phone carriers are screwing it up already. It's a good example of the reason Apple so tightly control things, as they know that the phone companies and malicious people will make things ugly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back