Android-fi!
Nov 26, 2011 at 9:30 AM Post #31 of 904

Quote:
^ I've been reading up on smart phones and as this is my first, I wonder if the android system might be too complicated. Otoh, I think the smaller screen on the iPhone will be a turn off.

Android phones come in all shapes and sizes. Some have much smaller screens than iPhone, and some much larger. I find that for my eyes, a 3.2" screen is large enough, but for some people it may be too small. 

I've got some friends and family who are complete technophobes. They have managed to figure out Android just fine. I think you'll be ok.

Nov 26, 2011 at 9:38 AM Post #32 of 904
+1 the above comments.

In terms of usability, iOS is still a bit ahead of Android in terms of ease of use (I'm an Android fan myself, but there's no denying that the learning curve's a bit steeper).

Nov 26, 2011 at 9:39 AM Post #33 of 904

Quote:
Android phones come in all shapes and sizes. Some have much smaller screens than iPhone, and some much larger. I find that for my eyes, a 3.2" screen is large enough, but for some people it may be too small. 

I've got some friends and family who are complete technophobes. They have managed to figure out Android just fine. I think you'll be ok.

Two things:

1. Nice profile pic. Wonder why it looks so familiar, though?

2. I find it interesting that a technophobe (if that was literal and not hyperbole) would go anywhere near an Android phone in the first place. Just idle curiosity :p

Nov 26, 2011 at 10:29 AM Post #35 of 904

Quote:
Quote:
^ I've been reading up on smart phones and as this is my first, I wonder if the android system might be too complicated. Otoh, I think the smaller screen on the iPhone will be a turn off.

Thanks, I'm also a technophobe (and habitual late-starter). 

Nov 26, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #36 of 904

Quote:

2. I find it interesting that a technophobe (if that was literal and not hyperbole) would go anywhere near an Android phone in the first place. Just idle curiosity :p

I wondered about the same thing when two of my friends - both completely not into tech stuff - decided to buy Android phones.

I warned them multiple times about possible battery life issues compared to their dumbphones, but still they bought those phones (SE Neo v for the lady and Arc S for the guy).

They are extremely happy with the media features too.

Nov 27, 2011 at 9:40 AM Post #37 of 904

Quote:
Two things:

1. Nice profile pic. Wonder why it looks so familiar, though?

1) Thanks. It's from the album "Songs to Burn Your Bridges By", from the group "Project 86".

2) I wondered the same thing. I guess people see all the commercials for new phones and such, and they just want to buy. Most of them are surprisingly pleased with their new smartphone, except of course for battery life. Plus it is getting more and more rare to find a basic flip-phone - ask your friends, or go into a store, and you'll see that almost all phones out there are some type of smartphone. I guess people don't want to feel left out.

Nov 27, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #40 of 904

Quote:
**** basic phones, get android.

Depends. If it were up to me, I'd carry around an SLR, a HM-801, and a 3g-enabled netbook/tablet (plus a basic phone) if I had enough money and pocket space XD

Speaking of, I really miss the ol flip phones. In terms of pure style, I actually much prefer my old Motorola RAZR2 v9 compared to my i9000. Specs won out in the end XD

Dec 2, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #43 of 904
I am currently on a HTC thunderbolt. I am switching over to sprint but not sure what I am getting as of yet.

sent from my thunderbolt using tapatalk pro.

Dec 7, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #44 of 904
Galaxy S2 is easily one of Sprint's top android phones and the specs are definitely good enough for another year or so.  I'm actually a little bit disappointed with the Nexus Prime, once other phones start getting the ICS update it's probably not going to stand out so much.  

Honestly I feel like right now isn't the best time to get an Android device.  The current top devices are great but have already been around for a while, the Galaxy S2 has been around since spring, I don't know why it took forever for the US to get it.  Almost everything is still all on gingerbread and are generally dual core ~1.2-1.5ghz, just like they've been for the past year.  The Galaxy S2 was released like late spring but for some reason it just took forever for the US market to get it.
I'm sure by January 2012 there will be Tegra 3 devices and maybe a few other quad core models that probably won't cost that much more than the top models out now.

Dec 7, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #45 of 904
Well, I gave up waiting on ICS.  I'll have to wait for the Nexus, an overpriced phone w/ specs I don't want.  I'll have to wait for the other phones to get ICS.  I'll have to wait to see if ICS will allow for the phone to serve as a USB digital transport.  I'll have to pay higher monthlys to subsidize the new phone.  Microsoft Win Mobile is getting better but still wants to make me their bitch.  Apple is, well, not part of my universe.

Grabbed a Nokia N8.  

Minuses-Symbian is discontinued.  Screen isn't 4.5" of HD goodness, it's actually smaller than my outgoing touch pro2 by 0.2".  Not the fastest hardware.  Not the newest toy.  No bragging rights. 

Pluses-Bought on sale BF.  No OS glitches yet, runs smoother than I thought w/ its specs.  Awesome Zeiss 12MP camera w/ geotagging.  Digital audio out via USB2go.  Built like a tank, nice design, button layout, card/port access.  Cheaper plan, same features.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back