Analog Squared Paper Discussion Thread.
Jul 14, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #961 of 3,813
Oh my Goodness Boringer, I think you take the roll now off Tube Roller extrodinare! It sounds like your smuggling contraband rather than tubes.. Very cold war, which is appropriate seeing as pretty much all of these were made in that time!

Now, tell us what brands you have amongst all of those!

Jul 14, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #962 of 3,813
Hahaha... Very well said Ian. 
size]

Btw, I think the amount of these tubes are still less than yours and GG's inventory.

Frankly speaking I lost counts and I'll get back with the list soon. 
I have to trace back the orders and cross check with the items received.
Clumsy.. clumsy me... 

Jul 14, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #963 of 3,813
the stock tubes my amp was delivered with are rca 1u4 and GE 3s4. had to look for a picture on ebay to compare it to my tubes, the printing on the ge's is nearly unreadable.

i am not that careful with my tubes, at the moment all of them are out of their card boxes, to be honest, i spent so much time this weeks in preparing everything for the amp, experiments, taking photos, posting my impressions, listening to different tube sets, that my one room apartement at the moment looks like the combination of a hidden galvanic alchemist cave and a electronics, hobby and tool store (with exceptional good hifi departement of course) during the end of year inventory check everything lying around, and the workbench of a radio repair service.

i mostly agree with what you posted about your opinion of tyll hertsens headphone reviews, in general he seems not to be a fan of brighter sounding headphones and having listened to headphones like the sennheiser momentum or the philips fidelio 's i often can not agree with his ratings (but for example i also found no way to get used to the hifiman he500 sound).

i posted the link because i had the plots of the midcentric frequency range in mind instinctively thinking of the midcentric fad pf's.

never red the innerfidelity review of the t5p, will have a look at that!

Jul 14, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #964 of 3,813
Quote:
Hahaha... Very well said Ian. 
size]

Btw, I think the amount of these tubes are still less than yours and GG's inventory.

Frankly speaking I lost counts and I'll get back with the list soon. 
I have to trace back the orders and cross check with the items received.
Clumsy.. clumsy me... 

my tube count will be 47 after the ken rad's have arrived!

Jul 14, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #966 of 3,813
Quote:
to complement my postings about the different tube sets here are pictures of all sets not posted up to now (for the photography fans: out of camera, olympus E5, zuiko digital macro f3.5 35mm, camera set to high saturation and contrast to better see the printings on the tubes, WB set to 2700 kelvin, only resized, unedited):

lorenz:

valvo:

ultron:

telefunken:

siemens:

stock tubes:

all tubes together: 

p.s. while preparing everything for the photo shoots i got an impression of real tube rolling two lorenz tubes rolling from the desk falling down onto the floor, but good luck no damage.

I have had the problem of 'real tube rolling' before. It can be a heart stopper. I enjoyed browsing your very nicely organized tube shots. Now I feel compelled to get my mess of scattered tubes/boxes in order. But I'd rather go listen instead.

Jul 14, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #967 of 3,813
[
quote name="GermanGuy" url="/t/632518/analog-paper-2-discussion-and-appreciation-thread/960#post_9615408"]ianmedium - how much time does the amp need to get fully charged after beeing empty based on your experience?
[/quote]

I must admit I have never timed it but I think around three hours..now, this is important! Shikada san advises never to allow the battery to drain fully. Partly for battery life but also it may trip the protection circuit and shut down the amp. If that happens simply plug in the amp and it will reset it.

Interesting to see the stock tubes have changed, I feel for the better though if I did it over again I would order sans tubes.

Jul 14, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #968 of 3,813
sorry for the typos..typing from my luddite cell phone..I loathe phones!

Jul 14, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #970 of 3,813
nothing else to do so i started to make a protective carrying pocket for the tu-05, player and some additional parts (charger, cables).

today i made the protective inner part:

it is made out of cutted pieces of felt 8mm thick. i used a special glue based on rubber that is flexible and heat resistant up to 120 degrees celsius (made to repair clothes).

i cut all the holes needed to fully use the amp into the felt:

as next steps i will

- cut the felt into shape
- put some leather around it and
- provide a pocket for the player
- provide some side pockets for chargers and cables
- provide a carrying strap

Jul 14, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #971 of 3,813
Is there no end to your skills GG, I am in awe of your capabilities! It looks wonderful.

Jul 14, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #972 of 3,813
Quote:
Is there no end to your skills GG, I am in awe of your capabilities! It looks wonderful.

thank you very much for your statement and your appreciation for this construction.

how to say, sometimes i wish i had only one skill where i am really perfect instead of dozens where i am just good, it would be much easier to stay focussed and beeing successfull in one area than always sitting between 10 things you are interested to do at the same time.

Jul 14, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #973 of 3,813
Hmm, judging by your actions here GG I think your selling yourself short!

The great thing about really good replay equipment, the whole point of it in fact is that one desires to explore music more.

To that end I do not think there is a week goes by that I am not purchasing something from HDTT! I love their attention to detail in transfering historic recordings either from tape or LP to high definition digital. One forgets that your listening to digital as the music is so intoxicating.

My latest purchase is downloading as I type and this is the review for it!

http://audaud.com/2009/07/handel-preis-der-tonkunst-schubert-salve-regina-d-386-mozart-exsultate-jubilate-k-165-laudamus-te-from-mass-in-c-minor-k-427-teresa-stich-randall-sopranosaar-chamber-orchestrakarl-ri/

Jul 14, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #974 of 3,813
GG: your dedication and production skills are impressive, to say the least.

Ian, I haven't recently purchased from HDTT (or other hi-res sites, other than HDTracks), but you are tempting me.

I find this to be the embodiment of the Tu-05's black background, (ironically in the foreground here):

Jul 14, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #975 of 3,813
That is a stunning picture Woodcans, that is going to be my new desktop!

I really recommend HDTT, wonderful classical music!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back