Analog Squared Paper Discussion Thread.
Mar 28, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #3,287 of 3,813
at the moment i use the 6.3mm out to connect the c4 to the tu-05:

So that's 6.3 to 6.3 Jack connection? What type of lead is that called which does that? I'd this best for sound quality...as I guess this still uses the c4's sac and the 05 is just the amp...sorry if I'm being misinformed here?!
Ps do you notice sound improvement like this?
Pps Are you also using the th900's?
Thanks

Mar 28, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #3,288 of 3,813
  @bonitomio Thank you. They are Telefunken tube diamond base. If i mixed the tube when using the ak240 they sound imbalance pretty badly. After longer listening I started to like the ak240 + tur06. They sound more engaging and fun, noticeably faster too. imo ak240 sounds a bit dull by itself.

updated: out of the blue I just found my #1 setup: ak240 + tur06 (telefunken diamond base) + grado sr60i stock. they are perfect to my ears.. (the buzzing noise are hardly heard on this setup). They play the vivaldi concerto in D minor opus 4 no.8 allergo amazingly good. (bonus dsd file from the ak240).

?? Few posts back you said "ak240 + tur06 using lineout (max volume) they are too loud even on very low volume on the tur06".  So, can you clarify if the "line-out" of the AK240 is appropriate or not (too loud) for the sensibility of the TUR-06 ?

Mar 28, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #3,289 of 3,813

?? Few posts back you said "ak240 + tur06 using lineout (max volume) they are too loud even on very low volume on the tur06".  So, can you clarify if the "line-out" of the AK240 is appropriate or not (too loud) for the sensibility of the TUR-06 ?

on my tur06, shikada was made it to match the impedance of my first gen ak100.
he mention this on his email:

"About #004,
I tried to use the attenuator of the current type.
The sound is better than voltage type.
However, it is not will be a mute.

(up to -50~-70dB)"

"I made a higher gain. If you want less quietly, Put a resistance of 10Ω to the output terminal as connected in series."

i am not sure whether this is the case or not. perhaps GG can explain a bit more,

ak240 has more power output than the ak100. on my last setup i was using the pandora hope vi which has only 8 ohm impedance. and yes on very low volume it is too loud to my ears. and causing the buzzing sound at the low volume as well (set line out / max volume on the ak240).

But when pair the ak240 + tur06 + higher impedance headphone at least 30 ohm (on my grado) or above the sound are more controlled and less noise background.
ak240 + tur06 can drive my beyer880 250 ohm very beautifully and loud at maximum volume on the tur06. I think it will be best to pair them with 32 to 300 ohm headphones, less then that it is better to drive the headphones direct to ak240.

so these are my best setup so far:
ak240 + tur06 + ms1i mod. 

I fell in love with grados. they never heard so good before.  they sound like a home speaker set up. not too much surgical details present or super airy high, they just simply play music beautifully to my ears.
So next i will be in search of higher end grados like gs1000 or rs-1. or maybe trying out the lcd xc or x.

note: you need a good interconnect maybe some pure occ quality wire to make the best of the combo.

Mar 29, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #3,290 of 3,813
So that's 6.3 to 6.3 Jack connection? What type of lead is that called which does that? I'd this best for sound quality...as I guess this still uses the c4's sac and the 05 is just the amp...sorry if I'm being misinformed here?!
Ps do you notice sound improvement like this?
Pps Are you also using the th900's?
Thanks

a2p - tu-05 - some unsorted thoughts:

- i can't think of the time before i got this amp, the improvement in sound quality is so large, a step back impossible.

the amazing quality of this amp is that it really improves ALL sound properties and (with my dream set lorenz df96 - tung-sol ken red dl92) now to a level i had never dreamed of.

- not to speak about the cayin ha-1a, i never spent time for finding good tubes for it so this amp never got a chance to show it's best.

- also not to speak of the dared mp5, i use it as desktop amp / dac in the office and it's okay as it is.

the headstage arrow 4g is nearly unused because sounding rather boring neutral like a wire with amplification but most important for me not to use it is that it destroys the great soundstage of the colorfly or any other player.

fiio e6 and e11 are just some minor 'bought wrong' mistakes as my shure se 425 are.

the alo continental v2 gives you an improvement in soundstage and imaging, sweet tube sound, but at the cost of bass quality and deep bass extension.

the vorzüge amp duo is the opposite, great bass quality, precise, clear, but not the soundstage and sweet highs of the continental v2.

- hey, this is a portable amp!!!!

hope the new tubes sound really good so i will have a tube set that nearly doubles the run time of the amp.

- have to be more carefull with the tube sockets, due to all the tube rolling the insertion force needed gets lower and lower, don't want to damage the sockets, don't know for how much insertion cycles the sockets were designed.

really love the gain level the amp is designed or delivered with, it is a perfect match for the colorfly c4, just the right range even for some of the telarc recordings (both colorfly and amp set to maximum volume).

- this amp is really dead silent even with my ue tf10, akg k3003, fad pf viii

- no hum to hear, never ever again

I WANT A DESKTOP VERSION !!!

This is what i posted some time ago about the sound of the colorfly c4 and the tu-05.

Mar 29, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #3,291 of 3,813
HOW IRONIC : I have more than 100 tubes, and while doing some more tube rolling tests I came to a combo that liked a lot: RCA 1U4 / Raytheron 3S4

Going back to my notes, I realised that... it is the "stock" Combo that came with my TU-05 a year ago.... and that it is the second time that I come back to it !

So.... 1 year of tube rolling and one hundred of tubes tested, to finally come back to the original tubes ! 
eek.gif

I will do 1 Last try:  Telefunken diamond base berlin df96 + Kobe Kogyo Corp. "Ten" (if I find some).  Last chance to escape from the fatality....
biggrin.gif

All this to come back to the original tubes !!! 
wink.gif

Mar 30, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #3,292 of 3,813
HOW IRONIC : I have more than 100 tubes, and while doing some more tube rolling tests I came to a combo that liked a lot: RCA 1U4 / Raytheron 3S4

Going back to my notes, I realised that... it is the "stock" Combo that came with my TU-05 a year ago.... and that it is the second time that I come back to it !

So.... [COLOR=B22222]1 year of tube rolling and one hundred of tubes tested, to finally come back to the original tubes ! :eek:  [/COLOR]

I will do 1 Last try:  Telefunken diamond base berlin df96 + Kobe Kogyo Corp. "Ten" (if I find some).  Last chance to escape from the fatality....:D

All this to come back to the original tubes !!! :wink:

Wow! All that & back to square one? At least you kept notes & enjoyed the journey! I'm pretty interested in this little amp although I have no idea if it will be a good match for my Q701's. What's the time frame for getting one of these lately?

Mar 31, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #3,297 of 3,813
got my colorfly c4 back today, was modified and sent back within 5 working days! the first hour was a nightmare to listen to, much too harsh, but after six hours of burn in everything settled nicely.

i must say that this modification with better parts and Op Amp is worth each cent! the improvement and gain in clarity, precision and detail is remarkable!

listening to the c4 without and now with the tu-05 the soundstage depth is not only improved but it is much more easy to locate each object, the coherency is excellent, you need definetely a lower volume level to listen without missing anything, instead the clarity, the air and body around everything is improved and so ... realistic. the bass is another point really improved, more precision, lees boomy if you could call the bass boomy before.

so i am absolutely happy, my c4 is back, the chain gets better and better, this modification by HIFIWERKSTATT hoer-wege is highly recommended!

Mar 31, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #3,299 of 3,813
got my colorfly c4 back today, was modified and sent back within 5 working days! the first hour was a nightmare to listen to, much too harsh, but after six hours of burn in everything settled nicely.

i must say that this modification with better parts and Op Amp is worth each cent! the improvement and gain in clarity, precision and detail is remarkable!

listening to the c4 without and now with the tu-05 the soundstage depth is not only improved but it is much more easy to locate each object, the coherency is excellent, you need definetely a lower volume level to listen without missing anything, instead the clarity, the air and body around everything is improved and so ... realistic. the bass is another point really improved, more precision, lees boomy if you could call the bass boomy before.

so i am absolutely happy, my c4 is back, the chain gets better and better, this modification by HIFIWERKSTATT hoer-wege is highly recommended!

Wow, that was brave...well done for that alone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back