Analog Squared Paper Discussion Thread.
Aug 19, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #1,757 of 3,813
GG, 1T4SF are 1T4T's in Europe, I believe the "SF" is Japanese domestic market naming.

I really want to get some Japanese tubes, by all accounts and now looking at Anak's post they are some very special tubes!

Aug 19, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #1,758 of 3,813
GG, HUGE thanks! Tube cleaning kits have arrived. 

As an aside, really enjoying the modding/tube rolling pics/impressions, etc.

On topic, I continue to enjoy my '05 on a nightly basis. Looking forward to other's impressions.

-wc

Aug 20, 2013 at 6:10 AM Post #1,759 of 3,813
I think i nearly have worked through all possibly compatible tubes, so the last for now is the DF92 pin compatible to the DF91, don´t know the anode voltage, but to test them i ordered

4 x Mazda-France 1L4 (DF92) battery tubes, NIB, vintage’1958, “Horseshoe”-getter

Aug 20, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #1,762 of 3,813
Guys, here's the sample of the TU-05G.
According to Shikada San, the final one will be a bit paler to match the "Champagne-Gold" color.

Now, paler would be nice but I could easily live with this version as well. The gold really suites this amp I feel, makes it feel even more like the Japanese exotica that it is!

Aug 20, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #1,765 of 3,813
You should get your amp coated while it is being repaired!

Don't think I did not think about it! But having the green LED's has added another couple of weeks to the time line and I am on edge now not having it. Still, I console myself with a few facts.

One, it is nearly end of summer (yay, it is my least favourite season, don't do heat well!) and that means windows can be closed soon which means the PF's can be allowed their full reign with the amp! Another is just to do with seasons, I seem to enjoy my music more with the advent of Autumn, I am an Autumn birth and it is always a time I associate with the classical music season starting again so live music to be followed by listening again at home to the same piece, love doing that!
And then there is the imminent arrival of the AK120 which should be here Thursday so all of these things add up to enjoying the amp even more!
The last thing is Shikada san's full order book, I don't really want him to be taken away too long from building new amps both for his economic reasons and for those who are waiting.. But it was tempting! :D

Aug 20, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #1,766 of 3,813
Don´t forget you can collect the whole line - Black TU-05b, golden TU-06, wooden Desktop version!

Don't forget silver... Though if you had two you could go dual mono!!!

Aug 20, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #1,768 of 3,813
Quote:
Now then, try them with Phillips DL92's and Mullard DF91's, I think you will find you will strike a balance of bass depth and warmth with detail and texture, let me know what you think!

at the momemt i do listen to this combo but need more time before writing about my impressions!

edit:

after one hour of listening to paul simon - songs for the capeman and paganini - violine concerts:

the first ten minutes i found the combo lifeless and to warm sounding with my DIY grado style headphone and the t5p - then i recognized that the impedance was set to low - much better sounding in the 16 -120 ohm position.

great combo, nice texture, but miss some bite, sparkle, highs, too relaxing at the moment, but only at the moment.

to have something to play with i bought an AKG K240 MKII today and must say that the combo sounds absolutely great with the akg, warm, detailed and adds a lot of space.

but listening to the fad piano forte viii with the mullard df91 - philips dl92 - never heard the pf viii playing that good, what a great match, started listening to paul simon and forgot to stop.

Aug 20, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #1,769 of 3,813
Quote:
Ok now I will try to bring some input on tube rather than just asking for advices :)

As you know I have 2 Lorenz df96, but they are of 2 different types. However I tried them:

- tried :  Lorenz df96 + Tung-sol ken rad dl92  
- and tried : Telefunken DF904 / Tung-sol ken rad dl92

and did not likes it either of them...  

So, So far I much prefer  Telefunken DF904 / Philips DL92  or  Lorenz df96 / Philips DL92 

--> Looks like Philips of much better to my ear than Tung-sol ken rad dl92 ?

But: I found that the Telefunken DF904  is very sensitive to titling !  

it's great that there are different tastes and opinions, so much to discuss. would be great if you describe your impressions and opinion more in detail.

btw, which impedance setting do you use, which headphone (i assume the fostex), what are your sonic preferences?

Aug 20, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #1,770 of 3,813
Already a successor to the AK120 !!    http://www.post76.com/wordpress/?p=43207

FYI - founder of A&K James Lee talked about the successor of AK120 with an even higher price tag plus a larger screen. No further details at the moment. Estimated HKD 12000 !!!! mean around 1500 to 1600 dollar....

So I may wait a little for my RWAK120....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back