Analog Squared Paper Discussion Thread.
Aug 17, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #1,726 of 3,813
Personally I feel it is best you find your own sound combination, what suites your ears. For my tastes from your list I like pretty much equally the Phillips/Siemens, Sylvania/Tungsram Phillips/Telefunken, Mullard/Tungsram combo's. Each has its strengths but at the end of the day all those create beautiful music I feel.

Truth be told all the ones you have are top notch and part of the fun is exploring them for yourself to see which is the ideal combo for you, there truly is no right or wrong or best/ worst on this!

Aug 17, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #1,728 of 3,813
Quote:
Personally I feel it is best you find your own sound combination, what suites your ears. For my tastes from your list I like pretty much equally the Phillips/Siemens, Sylvania/Tungsram Phillips/Telefunken, Mullard/Tungsram combo's. Each has its strengths but at the end of the day all those create beautiful music I feel.

Truth be told all the ones you have are top notch and part of the fun is exploring them for yourself to see which is the ideal combo for you, there truly is no right or wrong or best/ worst on this!

agree!

Aug 17, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #1,729 of 3,813
Quote:
valvo df91 red label, lorenz dl92 but both rare as gold nuggets with diamonds inside.

I have none of them !! 
frown.gif
    Other suggestion based on the tube THAT I HAVE ? 

PS:  GG, I got my Tungsram 1T4T from Robert Losonci ( info@tubeprofi.com ) : http://www.tubeprofi.com/shop/

Aug 17, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #1,730 of 3,813
GG, I just went through your photo tutorial, absolutely fascinating, thank you so much for showing us this procedure, my respect for your skills has increased even more!

I am cutting and pasting the post into the tube rolling post as I feel it is important reference material and needs to be easily seen!

Aug 17, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #1,731 of 3,813
Okedoke, the "sticky" post number 3 now has GG's modification as well as the tube rolling.. Which reminds me, I must get round to adding my thoughts. Anyone else who cares to add their thoughts on tubes they have rolled please PM me with them and I will add them to post #3!

Here is the post as it stands now..
http://www.head-fi.org/t/632518/analog-paper-2-discussion-and-appreciation-thread#post_8794450

Aug 17, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #1,732 of 3,813
Methinks there is too much discussion about amp modification and tube rolling.

So let the music play!

Cheers,
Andy.

Aug 17, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #1,733 of 3,813
GG you are right, I forgot that there is at least 1 to 2 meters of cable between the TU-05 and the headphone cups, so.... + 10 cm internal wiring will not make a big change.  Good point !   I think I will also make this 1/4 change like you.  I just need to decide from the start which cable I will use internaly to replace the stock cables.

on another subject: I need to find a very good CLOSED headphone that DO NOT LEAK sound outside for when I listen in the bed...close to my wife.   Obviously my TH-900 leaks too much sound... :frowning2:

Any suggestion for the BEST non leaking cam  (best sound + least leak) to go with our TU-05 ? 

I have in mind for example : Beyerdynamic T5p, Edition 8 , Signature PRO... ? 

In addition to these (i.e. as a second set of cans) you might want to consider the DT48E (25 Ohm) for voice and piano. It also has the advantage of almost total isolation!

Aug 17, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #1,734 of 3,813
Bmichels. I must admit as well as far as headphones go personally I have yet to hear an Ultrasone that sounds natural. Not sure what it is but they just seem to put an artificial smear on music to my ears. When I went for the T5P's I tried the Juliette limited edition version of the ED8's and for my tastes the T5P were a country mile ahead of them in terms of a natural sound reproduction. In fact the only thing the ED8's beat the T5P's on were the extra $1000 in cost! :blink:

And to let you know, I tried both with my amp and directly out of my 801 and the results were the same.

Aug 17, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #1,735 of 3,813
Quote:
GG, I just went through your photo tutorial, absolutely fascinating, thank you so much for showing us this procedure, my respect for your skills has increased even more!

I am cutting and pasting the post into the tube rolling post as I feel it is important reference material and needs to be easily seen!

had a look at your index page, you really have cut and pasted all the section links. great!

Aug 17, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #1,736 of 3,813
it is the first time for me, but after an again only destructive post with no own effort to write related posts and the hidden opinion and attitude to have the right to be the or to act as group moderator i have added one for me now former thread participant to my block list.

Aug 18, 2013 at 4:27 AM Post #1,737 of 3,813
Chaps,

What I had intended to follow up with last night before my internet dropped out was a recommendation for Naim Label recordings, hence the `so let the music play reference'. 

http://www.naimlabel.com/

As HD Tracks have effectively blocked overseas customers, finding high quality Jazz and interesting new music is quite a challenge in the UK. Naim Label have assembled an eclectic bunch of artists and maintain the highest recording standards, so check out their website to discover great music. 

I can particularly recommend - Meet Me In London (192kHz Super Hi Def Edition) - by Antonio Forcione & Sabina Sciubba. It's a superb recording and sounds wonderfully lifelike.  

Cheers,
Andy.

Quote:
Methinks there is too much discussion about amp modification and tube rolling.

So let the music play!

Cheers,
Andy.

Aug 18, 2013 at 4:38 AM Post #1,738 of 3,813
Destructive post?!? How is expressing an opinion and exhortation to listen to music somehow destructive? 

Regrettably I know nothing about electronics and cannot contribute to the modifying element of this thread, but have commended you in the past for your ingenuity and obvious engineering skill.

Again, you've misconstrued my post and have interpreted it as a personal slight, which it definitely was not. Anyway, have a pleasant weekend even though you won't read this.

Andy.

Quote:
it is the first time for me, but after an again only destructive post with no own effort to write related posts and the hidden opinion and attitude to have the right to be the or to act as group moderator i have added one for me now former thread participant to my block list.

Aug 18, 2013 at 5:12 AM Post #1,739 of 3,813
Quote:
on another subject: I need to find a very good CLOSED headphone that DO NOT LEAK sound outside for when I listen in the bed...close to my wife.   Obviously my TH-900 leaks too much sound... :frowning2:

Any suggestion for the BEST non leaking cam  (best sound + least leak) to go with our TU-05 ? 

I have in mind for example : Beyerdynamic T5p, Edition 8 , Signature PRO... ? 

I would consider putting the Edition 8 back into your list of headphones to try for the criteria that you set. It does an amazing job of isolating/not leaking sound outside when you listen in bed close to your wife. And if you are lying on the pillow, it stays nicely on your head and very comfortably. Regarding the price, if you keep your eye out in the classifieds, you should be able to find a pair at a decent price, maybe around $700. At that price, I think they are definitely worth an audition. That's my opinion. I use mine as my go to portable, so isolation and comfort are very important factors for me, and for me, they are very hard to beat for these reasons. Here is Hong Kong, I do not drive so they need to be VERY good at those two things to withstand transportation on the underground, buses, and especially trams.

I am interested in getting the TH900. I've had a brief listen with them at a local store but I need to give it a longer listen before putting myself into danger territory with the wife since I would need to get a dac/amp too (thinking of the Audio GD NFB-11.32).

Aug 18, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #1,740 of 3,813
ianmedium - at the moment i am listening to my now repaired t5p with the axmann axiom 4 wire pure silver cable and the 8 wire grado cable.

as posted i had cut the cable and soldered a 3.5mm neutrik jack where the y split was.

i would call the grado cable more homogenous with more body but slightly less sparkle and detail, you have to turn the volume slightly louder, while the axmann cable is slightly brighter sounding, but with great detail and more clarity.

something really weird and funny happened:

firstly - when starting to listen to the t5p i missed some soundstage and bass, i thought maybe i have again to get used to the sound of the t5p after a long time nearly only listening to my DIY grado style headphone, but then i noticed that soldering the jack i did accidently something wrong - left is right and right is left. no wonder music sounds something wired.

so i just rotated the headphone 180 degress left on my right ear and right channel on my left ear, now everything should be ok, but again, the drivers are angled, so now with an angle placed emitting the sound from behind the ears, but once again a 'but' and

secondly - it sounds great !!!!

if you listen to the t5p in its normal position it is like sitting far away, rotated 180 degrees you are sitting much nearer, everything is nearer, bigger, more sitting first row - and much better soundstage to my ears! also more bass, because the drivers are know working more indirect, not directly transmitting the sound into the ears. the very small loss of detail is really no problem for the t5p as it is really a detail master.

i definetly will make a dedicated y split with a switch to reverse left and right channel!!!

nevertheless now listening to the t5p  in this unplanned position, i again start to love the sound - what a great headphone - and with that switch even more universal as i then can select between the normal presentation and the more grado like first row sound.

so i am nearly the first time happy i did somerhing wrong!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back