An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
Jan 25, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #9,436 of 9,499

I think that'd be a worthy purchase for sure.  While I have things to nitpick about regarding the original Orpheus, having recently auditioned the new one, I'd have to say that it is flawless.

Well I'll be durned. Look who popped by.:)  Do you have to turn in your mod superpowers when you become a Sponsor?

Congrats by the way.  The Cavalli gig must be a full on riot.

You did not get a chance to hear Fangs Shangri La Mark Whatever it is, did you?  I have been waiting for an honest to goodness report on that. I don't believe the pundits who are saying it's a New Orpheus Challenger for some reason.
wink.gif

Jan 25, 2016 at 10:12 PM Post #9,437 of 9,499
Yup, it's meeee!  
smile.gif
  Yeah, I've surrendered my account enhancements.  But to be honest, I didn't use them much at all anyway.  My moderation style was always very hands-off as threads usually work themselves out within a page of yelling or two.

Thanks!  I'm having a ball right now.  Don't get me wrong, it's a ton of work, but it's FUN AS HECK!

I actually know people that think the new Orpheus is crap compared to the Shangri-La.  I can't say anything comparatively as I haven't heard the Shangri-La yet.  But for me, the new Orpheus is easily leagues above the best stat rigs I've heard - old Orpheus, 007mk1, 009 included.

Jan 25, 2016 at 11:17 PM Post #9,438 of 9,499
I think we must know the same people. I would be surprised if the Shangri La came off that well. I think different tastes come into play here
biggrin.gif

Jan 26, 2016 at 12:10 AM Post #9,439 of 9,499
I've met people who prefer the Koss ESP/950s over anything Stax has ever made, so tastes definitely vary.

Jan 26, 2016 at 12:18 AM Post #9,440 of 9,499
I've met people who prefer the Koss ESP/950s over anything Stax has ever made, so tastes definitely vary.

I'd be one of those, with the caveat that you have to let me pick an amp other than the stock Koss offering. (well maybe not over Lambdas)

Anything new and exiting in Magickland?

Jan 26, 2016 at 1:26 AM Post #9,441 of 9,499
I'm fine, will be back home from Kissimmee tomorrow. We got another Ruf CTR (this one's a 964) and a pair of 1st gen NSXs. Not too bad.

Have they ever said what the Shangri La-La is going to cost? Is there just one version?

Jan 26, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #9,442 of 9,499
Great Scores on the Ruf and NSX's. Are you planning on doing any tuning to the Acura's

Just conjecture on the Shangri La pricing is all I have seen so far.  Warren might be able to enlighten us on that one.

Jan 26, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #9,443 of 9,499
I'm more hyped about getting an actual Yellowbird. Rufs are hateful, noisy, difficult cars that are always trying to kill you, and it smells like driving a gas can with wheels, but the raw feeling and excitement while driving is like nothing else. It's like being in love with a beautiful woman, she'll hurt you and break your heart sometimes, but you wouldn't trade her for anything.

We're keeping the NSXs stock, in fact they've both been fiddled with a little already (nothing major), and we're going to take them back to factory specs, except tires (the OEMs were crappy). I already have an example that is far past the point of no return with mods, with a modified Stage 3 LoveFab setup making >700whp. There's no reason to mess with the others, I'd rather preserve them.

Jan 26, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #9,444 of 9,499
It's a Group C car. It's supposed to be brutal, and fast. Is it one of the complete Ruf builds or a customer provided chassis?

I suspect the NSX is going to go the way of the Toyota 2000 in the next couple of years. A stellar first go from a Japanese automaker who never could re-aquire the magic that put it all together.

Jan 26, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #9,445 of 9,499
  I think we must know the same people. I would be surprised if the Shangri La came off that well. I think different tastes come into play here
biggrin.gif

Yes, I think so, though I can't say for sure until I hear the Shangri-La.  
smile.gif

Have they ever said what the Shangri La-La is going to cost? Is there just one version?

Just conjecture on the Shangri La pricing is all I have seen so far.  Warren might be able to enlighten us on that one.

I don't think anything has been confirmed as of yet... but none of the rumors I've heard could be classified as, um, affordable.  Just rumors though.

Jan 28, 2016 at 11:20 PM Post #9,446 of 9,499
I'm more hyped about getting an actual Yellowbird. Rufs are hateful, noisy, difficult cars that are always trying to kill you, and it smells like driving a gas can with wheels, but the raw feeling and excitement while driving is like nothing else. It's like being in love with a beautiful woman, she'll hurt you and break your heart sometimes, but you wouldn't trade her for anything.

Though the two cars are very different, that description is precisely how I feel about the 289 FIA Cobra that an acquaintance from my restoration days owned. Just a brutal, unmanageable car that you can't help but lust after. I never had the pleasure of experiencing a 427 car, but there's good reason that most serious Shelby collectors focus on the 289 models, from what I've heard.

Jan 29, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #9,447 of 9,499
RM has put up the video of the Arizona auction, it's very educational (and by that, I mean it's shocking). Called it.

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8YpA7_pQL8[/VIDEO]

Jan 29, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #9,448 of 9,499
RM has put up the video of the Arizona auction, it's very educational (and by that, I mean it's shocking). Called it.

You know you're in for a raping when a flippin LandCruiser goes for 75 grand right off the pop.

When did Sotheby's acutioneers become so outright offensive? No wonder the tele and internet bids are becoming more prominent. I hate the idea of selling to someone who is not actually there, but with such a doorknob on the gavel I cannot really blame people for not wanting to be there in person.

Jan 29, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #9,449 of 9,499
Right now I wouldn't enter the world of collector cars for anything. $450k for a `52 Allard J2X at the Gooding auction. RM Sotheby's auctioneer is a tw*t, I've seen people at the auctions actually give him the finger.

Jan 29, 2016 at 9:57 PM Post #9,450 of 9,499
Right now I wouldn't enter the world of collector cars for anything. $450k for a `52 Allard J2X at the Gooding auction. RM Sotheby's auctioneer is a tw*t, I've seen people at the auctions actually give him the finger.

I can believe it. I'd be sorely tempted to throw something hard at him. I'd take the lifetime ban for that.

Is this real pricing or is it inflated some just because it's Sotheby's?

Orpheus MKII looking like a bargain all of a sudden:)

PS. The dealer I bought my last pair of ESP 950's from tells me Koss does not make the extension cables anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back