An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
Jun 18, 2014 at 8:40 AM Post #6,886 of 9,499
Probably around the 150k mark to fix the Fezza.

Related to the workshop Magick, do you often roam around having a peek at what everyone is doing?

All the time. :D

Jun 18, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #6,887 of 9,499
No wonder, it stresses them out and productivity drops. Cut down your visits by 50% and keep an eye on the output. Had a boss like that and he would create a very stressful environment by being around all the time. Maybe hidden cameras might be a better way.

Jun 18, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #6,888 of 9,499
Since your latest comment seems to suggest that current estimates are low, I'm going to go for $175K as an estimate.

Jun 18, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #6,890 of 9,499
"Where there's a whip, there's a way!"

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoAfb3f04mo[/VIDEO]

Jun 19, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #6,891 of 9,499
Okay, the tally is in, after a few small revisions for labor rate (adding in the actual time spent, not what my guys fudged to try and "ease the pain"), and the F12 total bill comes to $193,225.61.

So it has a street value of, say, $355k in current trim, and the price paid was $120k. That's over $313k in it, with a potential of $35k in profit to sell it, if you can find anyone who will to pay that for a salvaged car. The reality is, breaking even will probably be tricky enough. :rolleyes:

Jun 19, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #6,892 of 9,499
OK - but you don't have another F12 in the collection, correct? So, the real answer is that you now have a pristine F12 in your collection and you only paid $313K for it. :)

Jun 19, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #6,893 of 9,499
Okay, the tally is in, after a few small revisions for labor rate (adding in the actual time spent, not what my guys fudged to try and "ease the pain"), and the F12 total bill comes to $193,225.61.

I got closest, but I probably only would've guessed something like $85K had you not said anything about previous guesses being too low.

Jun 19, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #6,894 of 9,499
It isn't mine, at least not yet. We were doing the restoration for someone but it's gone beyond what he wanted to spend. His original target was 250-270k total but frankly he paid too much for it to begin with and we didn't know the extent of the electrical and mechanical issues. Everything had to be stripped, large portions of the upholstery had to be replaced (saddle stains badly) and almost the whole cockpit is wrapped in the same leather. The worst however was them (the former owners) trying to start the car after they thought it had dried out, when in fact there was about half a gallon of water in the exhaust. Then the ECU and all the subsystems shorted out in a cascade. Then it was a million little things that all add up to $thousands but have to be accounted for. It's a Ferrari, not a Ford. However, I know that it's completely like new now, if not better.

I'll personally pay the owner what he has in it, plus interest and finder's fee (to keep him happy), and then donate it to the collection, whom the garage will then bill for the parts and labor. So it all works out pretty well.

Jun 21, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #6,895 of 9,499
I'll personally pay the owner what he has in it, plus interest and finder's fee (to keep him happy), and then donate it to the collection, whom the garage will then bill for the parts and labor. So it all works out pretty well.

First time I have heard of someone making a profit after taking a car in........
tongue.gif

Since it is a salvaged car, gonna put MAWDSSSS in? 

Jun 21, 2014 at 5:31 AM Post #6,898 of 9,499
On the subject of F12, I just watched a fifth-gear programme (don't know how old originally) with VBH having a drive of one.
Reminded me of Magick Man's "BTW, she is my least favorite presenter on any car show, ever. There's just something about her that sets my teeth on edge, and it has nothing to do with gender."

I presume you never saw Top Gear Australia, then. (or Top Gear USA for that matter, or any number of U.S. car shows that air spasmodically over here). (?)

Jun 21, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #6,900 of 9,499
I'm not going to lose money, if I can help it. :xf_eek: No, it's going to stay stock, 740bhp is plenty for that car, already. They did a few ECU adjustments, but nothing major. It's supposed to weigh 3300lbs but it doesn't feel nearly that heavy, more like 27-2800, thanks to Ferrari's suspension trickery and truly massive brakes. Just puttering around yesterday I got a little more than 18 MPG, which is really impressive. On a road trip at constant speed, it would probably do well over 20. It's some amazing engineering. (It's freaking gorgeous too, looks a lot better in corsa red than it did in grey.)

Today we're helping a local children's hospital and giving rides to a couple of boys who are into supercars. I briefly thought about the F12, but the kids specifically mentioned Lamborghini and Koenigsegg (seriously), so we're taking the Aventador and CCXR. One parent was concerned about safety but we convinced her that they're safer to ride in than an Accord.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back