An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
Jun 13, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #6,871 of 9,499
That's very cool, and I have a cool video to post too:

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMaDhkNJA2g[/VIDEO]

And this is also very cool...

http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/13/inside-the-cockpit-of-bloodhound/

Jun 13, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #6,872 of 9,499
The Bloodhound cockpit made me think: How come we don't hear about more unmanned land speed vehicles? It seems to me that a few laser designators or DGPS receivers and an autopilot could do a better job than a driver. Even if it didn't count toward the record it would still be the best way to test the vehicle.

Edit: A few googles later and I have my answer. We don't hear about unmanned land speed records because the boys at Holloman Air Force Base have that one sewn-up tight: 6,453 MPH (Mach 8.5). The vehicle hit 157 g's!!

http://www.holloman.af.mil/library/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=6130

Jun 13, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #6,873 of 9,499
The Bloodhound cockpit made me think: How come we don't hear about more unmanned land speed vehicles? It seems to me that a few laser designators or DGPS receivers and an autopilot could do a better job than a driver. Even if it didn't count toward the record it would still be the best way to test the vehicle.

Edit: A few googles later and I have my answer. We don't hear about unmanned land speed records because the boys at Holloman Air Force Base have that one sewn-up tight: 6,453 MPH (Mach 8.5). The vehicle hit 157 g's!!

http://www.holloman.af.mil/library/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=6130

Solves your guidance problem too when put the sucker on rails:)

Jun 13, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #6,874 of 9,499
The fact sheet talks all about the benefits and practical applications of the sled for military technology, but you know that the only thing on the minds of its engineers at the time of the project was shattering the world record.

Jun 15, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #6,875 of 9,499
$3.5M Hemi `cuda today... screw me. :blink: That's just crazy, IMO. Yeah, okay, McLaren F1s go for >2x more than that, but they're McLaren F1s, to this day they're still an amazing feat in automotive engineering and one of the fastest cars in the world. So while Hemi `cudas of that era are rare, it's just another big-block muscle car, IMO.

Jun 15, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #6,876 of 9,499
That's just WRONG.

By a factor of 10X
rolleyes.gif

Jun 15, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #6,877 of 9,499
It's 2006 all over again. I thought prices on the 'Cudas and 'Vettes might not come back from their pre-recession record highs, but I guess I was wrong.

Jun 15, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #6,878 of 9,499
Personally, I don't see the big appeal of the Chrysler muscle cars. Sure, they have fire-breathing hemis - but the rest of the car is really pretty crummy. I'm not just talking about the suspension (which is horrible), but also the overall fit & finish. The interiors suck, the steering is simply horrible and they rattle & creak like an empty beer can that's about to be crushed by a redneck.

Edit:

Here's a quote from a Motortrend review of a '68 Charger. No matter how much money I had, I would never want to be this kind of collector:

So what's it like to drive a '68 Hemi Charger? Unfortunately, rare torrential SoCal rain showers derailed our visit with Dave Mikkelson's pristine $100,000-plus restoration, so we didn't get any meaningful seat time. The rain wouldn't have melted Dave's Charger like the Wicked Witch, but with its factory undercoating (exactingly reapplied during the refurbishment by Restorations by Julius), clinging road grit from a rainy excursion requires painstaking extraction by toothbrush. Sadly or happily -- depending on your point of view -- this restoration-fresh example is just too crisp for exposure to the real world.

http://www.motortrend.com/classic/roadtests/1105_1968_dodge_charger_rt_426_hemi_first_drive/interior.html

Jun 16, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #6,879 of 9,499
Back to head-fi - have you seen this?
http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/16/earin-cordless-earbuds

According to the video, it's got a BA driver. Of course, the battery life still sucks.

Jun 17, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #6,880 of 9,499
Do we know anything about the wireless connection? I don't quite trust most wireless tech yet when it comes to SQ.

Jun 17, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #6,881 of 9,499
What frequency do they use? Is it encrypted? I can't imagine they'd last too long in the real world, given how tiny the batteries have to be.

---------------------

Here's a challenge. Guess how much the total bill to repair the F12berlinetta is (the one that sat in >half a meter of water for 5 days), let's see who gets closest without going over. :)

While the cat's away the mice will play, I was expecting that they would have slacked off completely while I was gone, but I think they may have gotten more done than if I'd been there. Am I one of those bosses that actually gets in the way and slows things down? Geez. :xf_eek:

Jun 17, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #6,882 of 9,499
What frequency do they use? Is it encrypted? I can't imagine they'd last too long in the real world, given how tiny the batteries have to be.

Here's a challenge. Guess how much the total bill to repair the F12berlinetta is (the one that sat in >half a meter of water for 5 days), let's see who gets closest without going over.
smily_headphones1.gif

While the cat's away the mice will play, I was expecting that they would have slacked off completely while I was gone, but I think they may have gotten more done than if I'd been there. Am I one of those bosses that actually gets in the way and slows things down? Geez.
redface.gif

I'm going to guess around 105 grand at the half metre mark. A 1 metre dunking would be much more expensive.:)

Dunno about those earphones eating batteries. Hearing aids last forever on the little lithiums and they draw more I'm certain.

Jun 18, 2014 at 1:28 AM Post #6,884 of 9,499
The article on the wireless 'phones said that they last 3 hours, and they come with a "storage tube" that has a larger battery that will recharge them while they are in your pocket. I think that's kind of dumb - what the heck am I supposed to listen to while they are in my pocket? The article also said they use bluetooth for the wireless.

For the F12... Hmmm... I'll say $50K in parts + $40K in labor to make it stop smelling like old moldy Italian cheese = $90K

Jun 18, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #6,885 of 9,499
Okay, one small bit of info, would it change your estimates if you found out that salt water ("brackish") rose above the exhaust and heads?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back