An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
Feb 4, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #5,776 of 9,499
Some new stuff.

We flew out to Lebanon (I love that, now I can hop all over the place), my mechanic, our detailing guy, and I, to check out the Lotus and Volvo. The Volvo is in a state, it runs okay but the rust is bad in places, I'd give this a "project" condition, not even a lowly 4. He'd said 12k for it, but it's not worth more than half that, the Elan +2 was even worse. The Elite was nice, however, I give it a solid 3+. It drove well too, its engine came out of a Lotus Cortina rally car, so it does have some pep to it (160hp hauling around only 1200lbs, you can imagine). We ended up haggling a bit and we worked out a package deal price of 52.5 for the both (and a set of 16" Fuchs wheels). I can live with that.

Better news is, we made a huge find. My 250GT Ellena doesn't have its original engine, however after a lot of digging we found out where the one in it came from, a same-year (58) LWB Boano. With even more digging by my minion, she found out its serial number, where it is, and a previous owner. After that, she followed the chain of ownership to the person who has it now, a dealership in Copenhagen. It had been in really bad shape, left for a long time in a garage after a wreck, so someone took it and tried to part it out. Well, a mechanic at that aforementioned dealership bought the car, worked on it, restored it, drove and enjoyed it for a while, and some time back put it up for sale with the car dealer he works for.

Here's the deal, however, it's not a sought after model (we talked in the past about these "lost" Fezzas), though very rare they don't have the value of a TdF or a Cabrio. Also it doesn't have its original engine (obviously), and that hurts it too, so despite being a looker it doesn't have very much real collectibility. Most of the big auction houses probably wouldn't have much to do with it, so the price he was asking wasn't too bad, ATC. Acting like a garden variety, self-indulgent, American wanker, I lowballed them. No need to let them know how badly I want it, right?
wink.gif
To my surprise, they practically met me in the middle, and as of this morning we've worked it out from there. I'm fit to be tied.
biggrin.gif

Ok now you have me confused. 52.5 for both Lotuses? Are you giving or getting the Fuchs? All of a sudden those rims seem to be en vogue again.
I'd be in no screaming hurry for any P1800. There are a lot of them around in perfectly acceptable condition for his asking price. Might want to look toward Texas or Arizona for one that did not see any wintering though.

The plan for the Ferrari is to reunite it with it's original powerplant? 

Feb 4, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #5,777 of 9,499
Some new stuff.

We flew out to Lebanon (I love that, now I can hop all over the place), my mechanic, our detailing guy, and I, to check out the Lotus and Volvo. The Volvo is in a state, it runs okay but the rust is bad in places, I'd give this a "project" condition, not even a lowly 4. He'd said 12k for it, but it's not worth more than half that, the Elan +2 was even worse. The Elite was nice, however, I give it a solid 3+. It drove well too, its engine came out of a Lotus Cortina rally car, so it does have some pep to it (160hp hauling around only 1200lbs, you can imagine). We ended up haggling a bit and we worked out a package deal price of 52.5 for the both (and a set of 16" Fuchs wheels). I can live with that.

Better news is, we made a huge find. My 250GT Ellena doesn't have its original engine, however after a lot of digging we found out where the one in it came from, a same-year (58) LWB Boano. With even more digging by my minion, she found out its serial number, where it is, and a previous owner. After that, she followed the chain of ownership to the person who has it now, a dealership in Copenhagen. It had been in really bad shape, left for a long time in a garage after a wreck, so someone took it and tried to part it out. Well, a mechanic at that aforementioned dealership bought the car, worked on it, restored it, drove and enjoyed it for a while, and some time back put it up for sale with the car dealer he works for.

Here's the deal, however, it's not a sought after model (we talked in the past about these "lost" Fezzas), though very rare they don't have the value of a TdF or a Cabrio. Also it doesn't have its original engine (obviously), and that hurts it too, so despite being a looker it doesn't have very much real collectibility. Most of the big auction houses probably wouldn't have much to do with it, so the price he was asking wasn't too bad, ATC. Acting like a garden variety, self-indulgent, American wanker, I lowballed them. No need to let them know how badly I want it, right?
wink.gif
To my surprise, they practically met me in the middle, and as of this morning we've worked it out from there. I'm fit to be tied.
biggrin.gif

That's a Ferrari I've never seen or heard of, but I like the look.... body styling, color scheme,  and even the wire wheels! 

Feb 4, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #5,778 of 9,499
Fascinating tidbits about the coach builders.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/ferrari-250-gt-boano.htm

I read something that seemed to say that production of the Boano was increased starting in 1958? Pre-1958 are the most rare, is that correct?

Here's a bunch of detailed pics of a 1957 Boano:
http://www.fantasyjunction.com/cars/695-Ferrari-250%20GT%20Boano-3.0%20Litre%20V12

What is this thing?

Feb 4, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #5,779 of 9,499
Ok now you have me confused. 52.5 for both Lotuses? Are you giving or getting the Fuchs? All of a sudden those rims seem to be en vogue again.
I'd be in no screaming hurry for any P1800. There are a lot of them around in perfectly acceptable condition for his asking price. Might want to look toward Texas or Arizona for one that did not see any wintering though.

The plan for the Ferrari is to reunite it with it's original powerplant? 

That's for the 1800S and the Elite, I have no interest in the Elan. Absolutely I want to make it complete, that will increase the value of it dramatically, and I'm picky that way. :)

Fascinating tidbits about the coach builders.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/ferrari-250-gt-boano.htm

I read something that seemed to say that production of the Boano was increased starting in 1958? Pre-1958 are the most rare, is that correct?

Here's a bunch of detailed pics of a 1957 Boano:
http://www.fantasyjunction.com/cars/695-Ferrari-250%20GT%20Boano-3.0%20Litre%20V12

What is this thing?

You're gonna laugh, that's the heater box. No, I'm not joking. There are so few surviving Boanos that the year isn't really an issue. Of the 74 that were built only half are still in one piece, due to them being scavenged for parts or chopped to make fake or replica Californias and TdFs. The Ellena is even more endangered, since there was only 50 of those to start with.

Feb 5, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #5,780 of 9,499
That's for the 1800S and the Elite, I have no interest in the Elan. Absolutely I want to make it complete, that will increase the value of it dramatically, and I'm picky that way.
smily_headphones1.gif

You're gonna laugh, that's the heater box. No, I'm not joking. There are so few surviving Boanos that the year isn't really an issue. Of the 74 that were built only half are still in one piece, due to them being scavenged for parts or chopped to make fake or replica Californias and TdFs. The Ellena is even more endangered, since there was only 50 of those to start with.

Why no interest in the +2?
How are you shipping the Elite? They were diabolically fragile in the coachwork department.

How's the real estate going. Has the mess next door moved on yet?

Feb 5, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #5,781 of 9,499
No big thing, the undercarriage rust was awful and it isn't worth the amount of money it would cost to restore it, and I'm not that into it. My guys are going with a covered trailer to get the other 2.

I didn't check on it today, but we're going forward with buying the note so I'm not too concerned. Tomorrow I'll get my spy to wander over there and see what's up.

Feb 5, 2014 at 1:37 AM Post #5,782 of 9,499
No big thing, the undercarriage rust was awful and it isn't worth the amount of money it would cost to restore it, and I'm not that into it. My guys are going with a covered trailer to get the other 2.

I didn't check on it today, but we're going forward with buying the note so I'm not too concerned. Tomorrow I'll get my spy to wander over there and see what's up.

Might want to buddy up to the local gendarmes for a bit as well. Money trouble, Death in the family or Losing a home is a guaranteed trigger for erratic and unpredictable behavior. Having a cruiser slide by every couple of hours might be a good idea.

Same about the +2 sounds like it's on the way to becoming a parts car.

Tie that Elite down every where underneath thats metal and will let a rope be looped around it:) Way to pretty a vehicle to be bruised in any manner.

How are your guys at taking body molds from a vehicle? I'm a little anal about back ups:wink:

Feb 5, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #5,783 of 9,499
Got some more stuff, but a question first, what's the deal with "Bronies"? I don't get it. :confused:

Feb 5, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #5,784 of 9,499
Feb 5, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #5,785 of 9,499
Got some more stuff, but a question first, what's the deal with "Bronies"? I don't get it.
confused.gif

I have been lurking this thread for ages, but this was so random I felt I had to reply haha. I use the word "pony" in one of my internet/forum aliases since the late 90's, imagine my surprise when this whole thing gained traction and people started making assumptions about me.... needless to say I do not use that alias much these days.

There is a movie on Bronies on Netflix I think, I didn't see it, but from the synopsis it looks like a documentary thing, if you're feeling curious you might want to check it out..... and if you do maybe you can tell us what it's all about because I have read the wiki and I still don't quite get it.

Feb 5, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #5,786 of 9,499
Like the current beard fad among twenty-somethings, it started as an ironic community making fun of something, and eventually people lost the irony as it gained traction and all that's left is a creepy subculture.

Feb 5, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #5,787 of 9,499
I was at the mall getting a gift for someone and I see a couple guys walking by holding hands. That's cool with me, love is grand, but they had pink and purple pony tails attached to the seats of their pants, with same color shirts that read "Bronies for Life" with MLP characters flying around, with rainbows shooting out of their butts. :blink: My daughter, who was completely fascinated, tried to run up to one of them and pull his "tail". I have no doubt in my mind that she wants a tail now, too.

Feb 5, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #5,788 of 9,499
Got some more stuff, but a question first, what's the deal with "Bronies"? I don't get it.
confused.gif

I don't either. I was told,"Just watch a couple episodes and you'll understand!" and all I got out of it was the urge to slit my wrists.(ok, a bit of an exaggeration, but it makes the point)

Same here....especially after seeing pictures from one of their conventions where they all dress up. 
eek.gif

Feb 5, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #5,789 of 9,499
Bronies are just another fetish for adults. Ridiculous in my opinion but if people like it then well....

On a related note, test drove the C63 AMG. Very capable and entertaining to drive.

Feb 5, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #5,790 of 9,499
I was at the mall getting a gift for someone and I see a couple guys walking by holding hands. That's cool with me, love is grand, but they had pink and purple pony tails attached to the seats of their pants, with same color shirts that read "Bronies for Life" with MLP characters flying around, with rainbows shooting out of their butts.
blink.gif
My daughter, who was completely fascinated, tried to run up to one of them and pull his "tail". I have no doubt in my mind that she wants a tail now, too.

Oh dear! Last thing you want her parading around with at the next Mecum auction.
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back