An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
Jun 15, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #3,436 of 9,499
Quote:
These guys are the real deal...

Somebody should build 20 of those period cars, as close to original tech as is safe, and have a series....5 F1 drivers , 5 NASCAR, 5 rally car, and 5 of something else competing. I know there was a race of that type before with current tech cars, but let's see how they do with these cars!

Jun 15, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #3,437 of 9,499
I think it took cajones the size of bowling balls to go flat out around a twisty race course in a 1920s T35. It would be bad enough to do it *once* - but to do it for years - yikes. For example, one of the greats from those days was this guy: http://www.targaflorio.info/costantini.htm
Bugatti driver, endurance driver, and before that he was a WW I flying ace in a SPAD VII. This dude makes today's racing drivers/spokesmodels look like girly-boys.

Jun 15, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #3,438 of 9,499
Quote:
I think it took cajones the size of bowling balls to go flat out around a twisty race course in a 1920s T35. It would be bad enough to do it *once* - but to do it for years - yikes. For example, one of the greats from those days was this guy: http://www.targaflorio.info/costantini.htm
Bugatti driver, endurance driver, and before that he was a WW I flying ace in a SPAD VII. This dude makes today's racing drivers/spokesmodels look like girly-boys.

Yeah well back in the day you lived off prize money so you ran as much as you possibly could. Any ride any race for a payday. And you weren't getting there in your 150 foot hundred million dollar yacht
wink.gif

Years ago Lee Trevino made a comment I really liked. He was talking about how his era worked for the prize money and said simply. Take all the pressure of making a living off, guarantee me a million or more before I even tee it up, and watch how well I play.

Jun 15, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #3,439 of 9,499
Oh yeah, but I think the second is a girl. Hardcore, nonetheless. :D I checked and it can be titled as a 1928 T-35B, so I'm chuffed to bits. This is a departure from my usual acquisitions, aside from the Morgan, but should be a lot of fun. Not to mention a cracking investment, it wasn't much more than a regular replica and a lot less than the "restored from scraps" supposed originals (not be confused with actual originals). He has had it to >110MPH, in a race, so it's no stranger to competition.

Jun 15, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #3,440 of 9,499
Now that's funny! I grabbed the picture and didn't even realize it is Hellé Nice

She was even thought to have been a lover of Jean Bugatti, the son of Ettore Bugatti. Pretty sad story of what happened to her racing career and the rest of her life.

Jun 16, 2013 at 6:50 AM Post #3,441 of 9,499
Wow, they should make a modern film about her, with Cate Blanchett or Gwyneth Paltrow, it could be amazing (and sad). They could cast Billy Zane as the aristocratic jerk who ruins her career out of jealousy and fear that she could defeat him, and use lots of cool period-correct Alfas and Bugattis in intense race scenes. I see a lot of potential here. :cool:

Jun 16, 2013 at 7:03 AM Post #3,442 of 9,499
Quote:
Wow, they should make a modern film about her, with Cate Blanchett or Gwyneth Paltrow, it could be amazing (and sad). They could cast Billy Zane as the aristocratic jerk who ruins her career out of jealousy and fear that she could defeat him, and use lots of cool period-correct Alfas and Bugattis in intense race scenes. I see a lot of potential here.
cool.gif

You should totally do that 
size]
 You already have half the cars 
size]
  You should also find an unknown but talented director and producer 
size]

Jun 16, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #3,443 of 9,499
Wow, they should make a modern film about her, with Cate Blanchett or Gwyneth Paltrow, it could be amazing (and sad). They could cast Billy Zane as the aristocratic jerk who ruins her career out of jealousy and fear that she could defeat him, and use lots of cool period-correct Alfas and Bugattis in intense race scenes. I see a lot of potential here. :cool:

Billy Zane or get Sacha Baron Cohen to resurrect Jean Girard... :p

Jun 16, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #3,444 of 9,499
Quote:
Billy Zane or get Sacha Baron Cohen to resurrect Jean Girard...
tongue.gif

John Frankenheimer died trying to get financing to make the sequel to Grand Prix. A serious auto racing movie is toxic to Hollywood types. Witness Driven, Days Of Thunder, Ricky Bobby thats what moviemakers think of auto racing.

You'd be stuck with Lindsey Lohan in the lead.

Jun 16, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #3,445 of 9,499
Violetta Morris would make a better story - at least that is what Hollywood would think.
http://theselvedgeyard.wordpress.com/2009/09/29/fast-women-in-history-auto-racings-tough-female-pioneers/

Jun 16, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #3,446 of 9,499
This is cool. My daughter came in and brought me a Papa's day present this morning, it was cute. She walked up and handed me a gift wrapped box and said, "See Papa? See?" After that there was some dirt in my eye, or something like that. :wink: I don't wear shirts that use them very often, but these sure are some nice AM cufflinks.

Violetta Morris would make a better story - at least that is what Hollywood would think.
http://theselvedgeyard.wordpress.com/2009/09/29/fast-women-in-history-auto-racings-tough-female-pioneers/

I believe she was an actual Nazi, though.

During WWII when France was occupied by the Nazis in the 40s, Morris joined the Parisian Gestapo and worked with the notoriously brutal “rue Lauriston” interrogation squad.

Jun 16, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #3,447 of 9,499
Quote:
This is cool. My daughter came in and brought me a Papa's day present this morning, it was cute. She walked up and handed me a gift wrapped box and said, "See Papa? See?" After that there was some dirt in my eye, or something like that.
wink.gif
I don't wear shirts that use them very often, but these sure are some nice AM cufflinks.

I

Those are tres chic. The daugher has been brought up with good taste (either that or is angling for an E type come driving age, assuming the D is right out of the question here)
biggrin.gif

Jun 16, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #3,448 of 9,499
Those are tres chic. The daugher has been brought up with good taste (either that or is angling for an E type come driving age, assuming the D is right out of the question here):D

She's only 16 months old. My wife handed her the box to bring to me of course, but it was still extremely adorable, because she was all dressed up for church in a white dress with bonnet and tiny slippers. For a few moments I felt like I'd been propelled back in time 80 years.

Jun 16, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #3,450 of 9,499
This is cool. My daughter came in and brought me a Papa's day present this morning, it was cute. She walked up and handed me a gift wrapped box and said, "See Papa? See?" After that there was some dirt in my eye, or something like that. :wink: I don't wear shirts that use them very often, but these sure are some nice AM cufflinks.

I believe she was an actual Nazi, though.

Yes - exactly! That's why I think Hollywood would prefer that story - especially the ending where she get's taken out by French resistance fighters in Sonny Corleone style.

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJU2cz9ytPQ[/VIDEO]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back