An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
Jun 14, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #3,421 of 9,499

Word is the build quality is quite poor, worse than other small boutique supercars. Isn't this the car Hammond went to test, after his scathing remarks about Mexicans?

Very hard to choose! I think either this one ($1.8M for a daily driver sounds about right!):

Or maybe one of the Type 35 - they look fun and I love the boattail:

Here, found this one, it's a Pur Sang build with several original parts: http://www.collectioncar.com/detailed.php?ad=25636&category_id=1&lang=en

Jun 14, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #3,422 of 9,499
Quote:
Word is the build quality is quite poor, worse than other small boutique supercars. Isn't this the car Hammond went to test, after his scathing remarks about Mexicans?

Nope, that was the Mastretta MXT that he drove. The link that he gave talks about the VUHL 05, completely different from the Mastretta.
Sure the quality seems very poor but it's still a very, very brand new brand with zero foreign input. I really don't expect them to have stunning build quality but the idea of the Mastretta sure is bright. It can be a hit, provided if it was a bit more cheaper.

Jun 14, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #3,423 of 9,499
Argh! I stand corrected. :xf_eek: I still want to see some more external data and info, I'm still understandably quite wary, given their inexperience.

Jun 14, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #3,424 of 9,499
Magick, do you ever check in on BringATrailer? I feel like you'd like what they find if you're not already following them.

Jun 14, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #3,425 of 9,499
Yeah we scour them on a regular basis, that's where I found the E28 M5 and the Carrera RS replica. I've noticed people really hit the "good stuff" fast on there, unless it's priced a little high. That's a testament to their following.

Jun 14, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #3,426 of 9,499
Quote:
Yeah we scour them on a regular basis, that's where I found the E28 M5 and the Carrera RS replica. I've noticed people really hit the "good stuff" fast on there, unless it's priced a little high. That's a testament to their following.

Yeah, they have a huge reader base. The site was down two days ago, and they say they received 700 emails about it. That's insane for an enthusiast site of any sort, let alone something in a blog format like BaT.

I caught their crew at some classic rallies where they field cars; they're fun people.

Jun 14, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #3,427 of 9,499
I saw these two at the Mullin Musuem:
http://www.mullinautomotivemuseum.com/car-12-1926-bugatti-type-37a-grand-prix.html
http://www.mullinautomotivemuseum.com/car-11-1925-bugatti-type-35c-grand-prix.html

The story on the 1926 37A is a hoot:

THIS BUGATTI was sold new to Basle Karrer of Zurich on March 26, 1926. [COLOR=FF0000]Little more is known about this car until 1958 when it was discovered by Bugatti collector Guy Huet near the Swiss-German border, where it was being used as part of a circus act.[/COLOR] To that purpose, the body of the car had been altered and extra seats had been welded to the rear. Huet purchased the car, along with several Type 37 engines, from the circus owner. Returning to Amsterdam, Huet restored the Type 37 with the parts he had, installed motor number 23, and added a supercharger. As a result, the car was upgraded to a Type 37A, a common and accepted practice of the day.
In 1975 Huet sold the car to James How of Bexley, England who commissioned Dick Crosthwaite to rebuild it. Peter Mullin purchased the car in 1991, and has driven it in vintage car events throughout the United States.

BTW, you also have to read the story on this one:
http://www.mullinautomotivemuseum.com/car-10-1925-bugatti-type-27-brescia-torpedo.html

It is amazing what people will do to avoid paying taxes! :p

Jun 14, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #3,428 of 9,499
I had a really nice talk with the Pur Sang Type 35B owner, for over an hour, and (along with the front axle, gearbox and rear axle) part of the frame and many of the body panels are originals from a T35, as is the steering wheel and some of the cosmetics. With that I believe I can get it titled as a 1928 T35B here in the States, where if you have a good bit of the frame you're okay. The drivetrain has been updated in small ways to be more reliable, it still has a magneto and essentially functions the same, but uses a more modern electric fuel pump and has bigger brakes. The seller really grilled me over my intentions for the car, making sure I wasn't buying it to "flip-flop", or that it would sit idle in the garage and never used. I assured him that I'm a licensed SCCA driver and plan on driving it in classic Pre-War events. He asked about my other cars and service facilities, so he's adamant that it go to a "good home". Also he wouldn't accept "American dollars", only pounds. :rolleyes: It's all good to go, though, and I'm looking forward to getting it.

---------------

Yeah, that's an extraordinary length to go to just to have your car sink to the bottom of a lake. :D It's a shame it can't be restored, but at least it's a museum piece. That 37A is pretty awesome, given these weigh only ~750kg, 150-170bhp is quite a lot. Back in their day, it must have felt like being in a Veyron.

Jun 14, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #3,430 of 9,499
Buying a Bugatti in British pounds has a very European ring to it.

Well, the seller is in England, probably doesn't want to get nailed with an exchange fee and/or go through the hassle.

Jun 15, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #3,433 of 9,499
It's a barchetta, I wear an aviator's cap and smoke a pipe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back