An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
May 23, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #3,181 of 9,499
The oval track thing is my big complaint with NASCAR but also the Indy cars too. I'd like to see left and right turns in a race. That said, I can understand the yawn factor of nobody being able to pass. I can't even recall the last time I actually watched a whole race on television.

May 23, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #3,182 of 9,499
The oval track thing is my big complaint with NASCAR but also the Indy cars too. I'd like to see left and right turns in a race. That said, I can understand the yawn factor of nobody being able to pass. I can't even recall the last time I actually watched a whole race on television.

Check out GT1 races then, the drivers are much more aggressive...

May 23, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #3,183 of 9,499
The Aussie V8's and the pommie touring car races can get hectic.

Almost to the quarter mile dirt speedway level at times.

May 23, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #3,184 of 9,499
I don't want to turn this into a American Racing vs Rest of the World Racing debate - we ALL enjoy watching cars go fast or we wouldn't be in this thread! I *love* road racing, but I will defend Nascar. Seeing cars go 3 abreast all the way through a turn at 150 MPH+ is anything but boring, and neither is seeing 10 pairs of side-by-side cars with each pair nose to tail within inches of each other. Of course, it is also true that MANY Nascar fans are drunk rednecks that are only there to see the spectacular 20 car crashes that happen at least once or twice EVERY race. I can't defend Indy car racing. All the political battles in that sport ruined it for me. I miss the days when Andy Granatelli would field a turbine car and AJ Foyt could win the race even if all he had available to drive was a golf cart.

May 23, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #3,185 of 9,499
I don't want to turn this into a American Racing vs Rest of the World Racing debate - we ALL enjoy watching cars go fast or we wouldn't be in this thread! I *love* road racing, but I will defend Nascar. Seeing cars go 3 abreast all the way through a turn at 150 MPH+ is anything but boring, and neither is seeing 10 pairs of side-by-side cars with each pair nose to tail within inches of each other. Of course, it is also true that MANY Nascar fans are drunk rednecks that are only there to see the spectacular 20 car crashes that happen at least once or twice EVERY race. I can't defend Indy car racing. All the political battles in that sport ruined it for me. I miss the days when Andy Granatelli would field a turbine car and AJ Foyt could win the race even if all he had available to drive was a golf cart.

I don't care about who's watching what sport ( there are many rednecks watching f1) neither am I a fan of modern (post 2000) f1, but yes seeing the same cars going over the same corner again and again and again is boring.

There's also the fact that f1's pretty much the pinnacle of civil technology, they are amazing vehicles and that accounts for 50% of the reasons why I watch it.

May 23, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #3,186 of 9,499
The Nascar road races are a blast to watch, what few there are (Road America, Sonoma, and Watkins Glen), I always try to catch them on TV. They remind me of what GP racing used to be like and the competition is really brutal, since those races count evenly for Cup points.

My wife drove her `55 Bel Air restomod, and she loves it. Everything adjusts well for her height (she's 4'11"), with a split bench seat that pulls way up, and the shifter is long and within arm's reach for her, which is unusual. I really don't like how much fiberglass is used, but at least it's a factory drop-top and the frame is really solid (the AC works too). I wish it had 4WDB, but there are big disks on the front and the rear drums work well, so the car stops nicely. It has decent power too, thanks to the LS1 crate, and makes ~350hp, which is plenty. Good stereo, but no subs, if she wants it to bump we can add a few in the trunk. She also laid claim to the DB9, surprise, surprise. Damn, that's one drop-dead sexy car, goes like stink, too.

May 23, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #3,187 of 9,499
So which car is the daily driver, for you, and which one is for her? Or do you switch it up all the time?

May 23, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #3,188 of 9,499
So which car is the daily driver, for you, and which one is for her? Or do you switch it up all the time?

I just thought of a NSFW comment to make - but I think I'll keep it to myself... :p

May 23, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #3,189 of 9,499
On the topic of F1 and road courses, I was at the Kohler International Challenge a couple years ago at Road America, and while I was more interested in the restored Can-Am cars from a historical perspective, it was impossible to ignore the screaming coming from some of the vintage F1 cars on the grid during their class's race.

Kohler International Challenge is pretty small compared to Goodwood and all the big classic-car racing festivals, but it's pretty much the only damn place in the Midwest that you'll ever see a real 250GT or a vintage race car of any caliber (outside of the museums in and around Detroit, of course).

May 23, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #3,190 of 9,499

I don't really have a DD, but there are some cars that we drive more than others.

I know one thing, VIR should be used a lot more than it is, what a beautiful road coarse.

May 24, 2013 at 2:04 AM Post #3,191 of 9,499
It appears the Nissan Skyline I was looking at is a scam of some sort. I told him if he brought the car to me I'd buy it for the price he wanted, provided it's in the condition he stated. Well, then he said he needed a deposit, so I agreed to place 50% in escrow, but that wasn't good enough. He wanted me to send $20k via Western Union. I was born at night, but it wasn't last night. I declined, but told him I'd keep the offer on the table if he changed his mind. He contacts me again saying the escrow was fine, but he'd need $3000 for "travel expenses" to deliver the car. I told him that was unreasonable, but I'd gladly reimburse him $1500 for his time and trouble, once he arrived with it (whether I bought it or not). That wasn't good enough either. He fired back, demanding $3000, plus the money in escrow, or the deal was off and he was selling to someone else who was willing to pay half of the price of the car, up front. See? That's the back-breaker. Why wouldn't he just go with the guy who was offering to send him the cash immediately, instead of still trying to wring $3000 from me? I went ahead and forwarded the entire conversation to my lawyer, he'll deal with it.

May 24, 2013 at 2:22 AM Post #3,192 of 9,499
I think it is a horrible shame that road races never seem to last in America. One of the best days of my life was the day I went to Laguna Seca when I was in college. I saw a vintage race, an Audi sedan race, and open wheel race (Formula 3000? Something like that) and a GTU race. I owned an RX-7 at the time, and it just so happened that in 1982 the RX-7 was the dominant car in GTU. Seeing those GTU rotary cars belch fire going into the turn and then scream like angry hornets down the straight was AWESOME! In a box somewhere in my garage, I have a picture of this same car that I took on that day. I really need to find that box...

May 24, 2013 at 2:29 AM Post #3,193 of 9,499
I would stay away from that Skyline guy. Something definitely ain't right. Combine that level of shady with the questionable title aspects of a Skyline - and I would be out. I suppose it's possible that he's just a yokel that doesn't understand how these types of deals are done - but if that's the case, then he should just put an ad in his local Craig's List and not try to sell to it to someone several states away. Maybe he expects you to fly down and buy the car face-to-face?

May 24, 2013 at 2:56 AM Post #3,194 of 9,499
Quote:
It appears the Nissan Skyline I was looking at is a scam of some sort. I told him if he brought the car to me I'd buy it for the price he wanted, provided it's in the condition he stated. Well, then he said he needed a deposit, so I agreed to place 50% in escrow, but that wasn't good enough. He wanted me to send $20k via Western Union. I was born at night, but it wasn't last night. I declined, but told him I'd keep the offer on the table if he changed his mind. He contacts me again saying the escrow was fine, but he'd need $3000 for "travel expenses" to deliver the car. I told him that was unreasonable, but I'd gladly reimburse him $1500 for his time and trouble, once he arrived with it (whether I bought it or not). That wasn't good enough either. He fired back, demanding $3000, plus the money in escrow, or the deal was off and he was selling to someone else who was willing to pay half of the price of the car, up front. See? That's the back-breaker. Why wouldn't he just go with the guy who was offering to send him the cash immediately, instead of still trying to wring $3000 from me? I went ahead and forwarded the entire conversation to my lawyer, he'll deal with it.

That's too bad......but better safe than sorry. Maybe this was a sign to go for the F7.....lol.

Quote:
I think it is a horrible shame that road races never seem to last in America. One of the best days of my life was the day I went to Laguna Seca when I was in college. I saw a vintage race, an Audi sedan race, and open wheel race (Formula 3000? Something like that) and a GTU race. I owned an RX-7 at the time, and it just so happened that in 1982 the RX-7 was the dominant car in GTU. Seeing those GTU rotary cars belch fire going into the turn and then scream like angry hornets down the straight was AWESOME! In a box somewhere in my garage, I have a picture of this same car that I took on that day. I really need to find that box...

Laguna Seca is a cool track layout....I'd love to see a race there someday.

May 24, 2013 at 3:59 AM Post #3,195 of 9,499
I would stay away from that Skyline guy. Something definitely ain't right. Combine that level of shady with the questionable title aspects of a Skyline - and I would be out. I suppose it's possible that he's just a yokel that doesn't understand how these types of deals are done - but if that's the case, then he should just put an ad in his local Craig's List and not try to sell to it to someone several states away. Maybe he expects you to fly down and buy the car face-to-face?

I suppose so. Something is definitely rotten, so I'm out of that one.

On a more positive note, with the new engine tune, injectors, downpipe, larger IC, and exhaust *ahem* optimization ("hand me that cutting torch"), the Golf R is now making 418hp/443tq at the crank on E85 (also removed the limiters). That's a nasty pocket rocket, right there. The heat numbers look really good too, my mechanic drove it around in traffic doing some errands, flogging it where he could, and it never came close to overheating. More testing is needed, but he said that's about as far as we can go, unless we want to rework and upgrade the whole drivetrain. Next we'll look at the suspension.

That's too bad......but better safe than sorry. Maybe this was a sign to go for the F7.....lol.

I'm going to go ahead with the F7, I get the feeling they may not be around for too long, so I may not have another chance to buy one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back