An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
May 10, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #2,956 of 9,499
BTW, the Audi R8 is done, will post some pics later. Just stunning.

May 10, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #2,957 of 9,499
Probably a 599GTB, GTOs are very rare. Still very pretty cars.

It certainly could have been. I'm really not good at car ID games for more recent cars. I think it looked a lot like this - and I remember yellow disc calipers.

May 10, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #2,958 of 9,499
It certainly could have been. I'm really not good at car ID games for more recent cars. I think it looked a lot like this - and I remember yellow disc calipers.

They're pretty, no doubt about it. Though finding a manual is tricky, I've seen 2 for sale and both were gone by the time I contacted the seller.

http://www.dupontregistry.com/autos/search/DRauSearchAdditionalPhotos.aspx?itemid=1012149

I think I'll hold out for a GTO manual, if such a bird exists (some claim they do). In other news, I was offered a chance to "jump forward in line" to get a LaFerrari, if I had cash on hand. Most peculiar. :confused:

May 10, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #2,959 of 9,499

Better or worse than the Weinermobile? lol

Very best, 

May 10, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #2,961 of 9,499

Better or worse than the Weinermobile? lol

Very best, 

Better, much more character.

Pics tomorrow, didn't get to take her out and get any shots today. Tomorrow we're going into the mountains, so that'll be good.

May 11, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #2,962 of 9,499
May 11, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #2,964 of 9,499
May 11, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #2,965 of 9,499
I'm really not digging that ^^ - it looks too much like a Spaceman Spiff toy that would make a revving sound and shoot sparks from ray guns - especially with the orange-tinted glass. :xf_eek:

May 11, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #2,966 of 9,499
In that picture, it's quite decent looking but in IRL, it's absolutely horrendous.
I mean that canopy is just the thing that kills it (and the stupid tinted orange glass) which reminds me of the Citroen Karin.

Actually, from the back it looks very good. And it'll look even more bad ass if it was an open top without the canopy glass. It'll look like a mad KTM X-Bow.

Lamborghini, you're trying too hard. We know that your design language will please 9 year olds but most of the people who buy Lamborghinis have a middle life crisis.

May 12, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #2,967 of 9,499
Oh God, that's really and truly awful. Yikes. :blink: Yeah, Lambo is trying waaay too hard.

How coincidental that you're posting hot VW hatches. I went by the local Audi place this morning, to pick up the R8 floor mats that I'd ordered, and I saw this:

2012 Golf R; AWD, 260bhp, great manual tranny, fully adjustable electronic dampers, and drives like a GTI on crack. Awesome, awesome little hot hatch. I had to buy that sucker. :D I might turn it into my little race car, but it would make a great, inconspicuous DD. Guys have been fiddling with these and getting 400hp w/o breaking a sweat, I think that would qualify as a sleeper.

Oh, R8 mugs:

So, it's fast, but what's more amazing is the AWD system. Perfect balance, it has it. I believe it's the most agile and surefooted car we have, just spectacular. Powerwise, it's a modification to the Heffner Audi V10 pack, optimized for E85, with boost variable from 3-10 PSI. 470-905bhp on tap, with 5 driver-selectable presets and full magnetic adjustable suspension. Acceleration is very smooth, it gradually builds power until you get it to ~5500 RPMs, then it unleashes the hounds of Hell and crushes you into the seats. :wink: At the lowest tune isn't bad either, very "polite", around town it's pretty much like driving any other Audi coupe, and get this, it gets 21-25MPG. Seriously. :eek: I'm thrilled with it, what a slick car.

May 12, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #2,968 of 9,499
No AWD understeer? That's pretty sweet. It's a nice looking car also.

As for the Golf, (and that one above does look like fun) my uncle had a base model 2-door one years ago as a company car, that he ended up buying from them when he moved on. He was approaching the 300k mile mark on it before he sold it, but at that point all the little things were breaking. Only one outside door handle worked (passenger side, of course) only one window would go down (yup, passenger side) HVAC fan was either on full blast or not at all, etc., etc. He actually was sad to let it go but all those parts were too expensive to justify on such a beat-down car.

May 12, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #2,969 of 9,499

As for the Golf, (and that one above does look like fun) my uncle had a base model 2-door one years ago as a company car, that he ended up buying from them when he moved on. He was approaching the 300k mile mark on it before he sold it, but at that point all the little things were breaking. Only one outside door handle worked (passenger side, of course) only one window would go down (yup, passenger side) HVAC fan was either on full blast or not at all, etc., etc. He actually was sad to let it go but all those parts were too expensive to justify on such a beat-down car.

All those problems and it only had 300K miles on it?? Well, cross VW off my list!! :p

This is what that orange canopy reminds me of...

May 12, 2013 at 1:27 AM Post #2,970 of 9,499

Yeah, it's dead-on neutral, and it isn't that hard to get the tail to kick out, despite what I've heard test drivers claim, just a little steering flick and some generous throttle with the TC off (maybe they didn't turn off the TC?), and away she goes.

The Golf R is a great little car, and seriously fun to throw around. I'm sure the Focus ST is nice, but that VW is crazy, I can't think of another "driver's car" that's that good for $35k.

Yeah billy, that's what the hideous Lambo canopy reminds me of, a cheesy Hot Wheels car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back