An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
Mar 16, 2013 at 2:44 AM Post #2,206 of 9,499
Quote:

Yeah, that seems to be the consensus.  Have you ever had a chance to hear an Ety?  Particularly an ER-4*[*]?

Nope, you should get it. 
evil_smiley.gif
  Look at it this way, there's a finite supply of them out there.  So if you don't get it, someone else will.  And that winds up leaving one less for you.  Are you really gonna let that happen?

Perfect! 
smile.gif
  The less I enjoy these muthas, the better. 

Nope never heard of the Etys

The SE535 just died on me, now I have no money for the HD600 
mad.gif

Mar 16, 2013 at 2:45 AM Post #2,207 of 9,499
I think that's why multi-generational relationships don't work, usually, too many grass roots cultural differences. I'd say that's partly why my marriage is successful, because I never fully grew up and I enjoy new experiences. Don't get that wrong, there's comfort and familiarity with the past, and I'll always feel more at home in the 80s, but there's a part of me that never settled down there.

Tonight we did the Joan Jett & Kurgan thing (since I'm almost Clancy's height and size), she even painted dragons on the sides of my head and everything. Several people got the reference, so it was a lot of fun. I'm hoping they wash off by Monday.

Mar 16, 2013 at 3:54 AM Post #2,208 of 9,499
Is it common enough that you'd simply putt around in it until it dies?  Or does it at least have some kind of collectible value to it?  As you know, I'm still considering a classic as a daily, but I'm just wondering at what point it becomes a waste to use it as a DD.

Yes, the black one would be a fine DD, it would just need a drum to disk conversion on the brakes (at least on the front), not a big deal. With its modern electricals and updated mechanicals, it would be a nice DD for So Cal. I wouldn't call it a beater, but it isn't a hardcore collectible either. OTOH, you have something like this:

That's an all-original, unrestored Concourse winner going up for sale in May. A-1 condition with impeccable records and a fully traceable line of ownership (4 owners). That's not a DD and will likely go for 4-5x more than its black/red cousin. Sure, it should be driven, for events and the nice Sunday outing, but I wouldn't subject it to freeway travel or bumper-to-bumper traffic. It wouldn't handle it well. Gorgeous thing, though, isn't it?

Edit: Oh, and for the record, the new Lambo is pretty much done, but I'm never, ever doing something like that again. Ever. What a giant headache that's been.

Mar 16, 2013 at 4:58 AM Post #2,209 of 9,499
Mar 16, 2013 at 5:18 AM Post #2,210 of 9,499
Quote:
In the 80s, I listened to the same bands I listened to in the 70s - some of them had new music (Aerosmith, Stones, Van Halen, ZZ Top, AC/DC, etc) and some didn't (Led Zep, Beatles, Who, etc) - and some had new music that I wasn't interested in, so I still listened to the older stuff (Yes, Genesis, Black Sabbath, etc). It's now 30 years later, and nothing has changed...
redface.gif

You had a mullet didn't you?  I'm picturing Wayne's World. 
smile.gif

Quote:
Nope never heard of the Etys

You've never heard of Etymotic? 
blink.gif

Quote:

LOL, did you get neck stitches and everything?

Quote:
Yes, the black one would be a fine DD. I wouldn't call it a beater, but it isn't a hardcore collectible either. OTOH, you have something like this:

That's an all-original, unrestored Concourse winner going up for sale in May. A-1 condition with impeccable records and a fully traceable line of ownership (4 owners). That's not a DD and will likely go for 4-5x more than its black/red cousin. Sure, it should be driven, for events and the nice Sunday outing, but I wouldn't subject it to freeway travel or bumper-to-bumper traffic. It wouldn't handle it well. Gorgeous thing, though, isn't it?

It is.  Love the interior, except for the wheel.  Would it really have killed them to leave that thing unpainted?

Quote:

Hey there's an idea Magick... how about a Vette at some point.  You know, just to have.

Mar 16, 2013 at 6:14 AM Post #2,212 of 9,499
Quote:
Quote:
You've never heard of Etymotic? 
blink.gif

No I never listened to Etymotics, wait I have I think I listened to the MC5 once? 

Oh, well the MC5 isn't that far off from the Ety I'm considering, at least up to 10kHz.  And let's be honest, the measurements after 10kHz are probably all woo-oo-oo anyway.

So, do you remember if the MC5 was "dead neutral" or not?  Also, I threw your SE535 in just for comparison's sake.

Mar 16, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #2,213 of 9,499
Quote:

Oh, well the MC5 isn't that far off from the Ety I'm considering, at least up to 10kHz.  And let's be honest, the measurements after 10kHz are probably all woo-oo-oo anyway.

So, do you remember if the MC5 was "dead neutral" or not?  Also, I threw your SE535 in just for comparison's sake.

I forgot how the MC5 sounded like, I heard it for 10 seconds before pulling it out :p
If I'm honest to my ears my XBA 3 sound more neutral then the SE535. 

Mar 16, 2013 at 6:56 AM Post #2,214 of 9,499
Quote:
I forgot how the MC5 sounded like, I heard it for 10 seconds before pulling it out :p

Hmm, that "neutral" eh? 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
If I'm honest to my ears my XBA 3 sound more neutral then the SE535. 

Oh BTW, sorry to hear about the demise of the SE535.  If I may make a small suggestion?  KILL THAT TOOL!  Or at least try modding it or something.

Mar 16, 2013 at 7:00 AM Post #2,215 of 9,499
Quote:

Hmm, that "neutral" eh? 
biggrin.gif

Oh BTW, sorry to hear about the demise of the SE535.  If I may make a small suggestion?  KILL THAT TOOL!  Or at least try modding it or something.

I like neutral stuff ^^ I love my KNS 8400 :p
I feel like killing that tool but I may need it for warrenty so I shall hold back for now.....if not then I will have to reshell and not get the HD 600 
wink.gif

But honestly for a universal the W4 dosent do anything badly (besides for being a bit boring and dry as well as a tiny tiny bit muddy) ohh and the QC isn't great

Mar 16, 2013 at 7:33 AM Post #2,216 of 9,499
And what's with the detailing of the Lincolns?  Is that like a luxury brand or something?  :p   What do Mercury owners get, an ass-kicking?

Actually the service manager told me he'd get an ass-kicking if he sent a Mercury over to the Lincoln shop for a detailing/wash, even if it was coming from a recognizable Lincoln owner. Go figure. :rolleyes:

It is somehow disturbing that when I read your "BTTF", I knew immediately what it meant. That bothers me...

That isn't disturbing at all...I'm actually more disturbed that there's a reasonably large portion of people out there (some of whom were actually alive in the 1980s) who would have no clue...:rolleyes:

You had a mullet didn't you?  I'm picturing Wayne's World.  :smile:

I was actually picturing the scene in Joe Dirt when he's like "hell naw man, Def Lep, Stones, AC/DC - that ain't queer!" and Dennis Miller shoots back with "don't lie man..." :tongue_smile: (Although I guess he did have a mullet too...:devil_face:).

Can't find a clip, or I'd post one. :veryevil:

Mar 16, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #2,217 of 9,499
My wife, havin' fun with PS:

Mar 16, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #2,219 of 9,499
Magic - I was just watching The Song Remains the Same on VH1 Classic, and it just occurred to me that you might be missing an interesting angle to take your car collection:
http://phscollectorcarworld.blogspot.com/2012/06/classic-cars-of-led-zeppelin.html

Hot Cars and Rock & Roll go together very well! :D

Mar 16, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #2,220 of 9,499
If I had a more than mediocre amount of talent with instruments, I would have went that way. Fact is, I was in 3 bands before I was 21 but didn't have the talent to make it beyond bars and parties, and rather than flail about in obscurity, I decided to take a different path. I still love playing though (can't sing very well), even if my hands grumble about it.

The whole owning Page's house is a weird thing, he lived there for like 5 years. It was his primary residence during that time, and parts of HotH and Physical Graffiti were recorded on the hill behind it, so that's a little chilling, really. He, Plant, and Bonham would jam for weeks on end in the living room... chilling is the right word. :blink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back