Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Jun 1, 2013 at 7:50 AM Post #1,291 of 6,061
Quote:
Yeah, he has a pre-amp somewhere as well that he's not using. He loves buying toys as much as some women love buying shoes. :p

I still have no idea what that last amplifier is. Tried googling and the closest was the Belles "Soloist", but no dice (i think?) There's a car in front of the amplifier, so I couldn't really squeeze around the back.

Fun times ahead.  Please keep us posted.

popcorn.gif

Jun 1, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #1,292 of 6,061
Quote:kevin gilmore
Finished testing the VSSA amp from diyaudio with the allfet dual today.
Sounds great and is about as simple and as cheap as you can get.

Sounds like just the thing for the HE-6.

Jun 1, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #1,293 of 6,061
Quote:
source is master 7 dac, doubt that is the issue. While cable may make a difference, i seriously doubt that can bridge the major gap between my 2 amps for He-6, IMO. I am using Norse audio reign 4 cable running balanced on master 8 for he-6 and the original cable running SE on the mini torii, so no added advantage for running balanced and better cable in this case, purely amplifier-headphone synergy.

I heard major improvements to the HE6 by replacing it's cable with the Toxic Silver Poison. It made so much difference in energy, definition, speed and dynamics that I recenly purchased 3 Toxic Silver Widow cables for my HE6,LCD2.2's and HD800's!!

The Silver Poison elevated the HE6 from being my 3rd best phone to my favourite above the Beyer T1 and LCD2.2, it literally made a big difference.
I had borrowed a balanced Norse cable to try before purchasing the Toxic cable and noticed only very minor changes, not even sure they were improvements. The SP was far better IMO.

Clearly your source won't be a problem, unless it is voiced very close to the Ref series dacs, which as far as I am aware it it not..
I have heard the Ref 5 and it made the HE6's sound similar to what it sounded with the stock cable even while using the SP.

All I know is that something is causing what you hear and what I hear to be very different with similar gear.

Jun 1, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #1,296 of 6,061
Quote:
Or maybe like he said, there's an actual performance gap between the Mini Torii and the Audio-gd amp ....

Unlikely when,if I am reading it right, froger seems to prefer the Audio-gd with the HD800's.
wink_face.gif

However it is not the point as to which is best.
I could understand if froger preferred the MT to the Audio-gd but his Audio-gd sounds almost the opposite than my Audio-gd does in a similar system (our dacs are very close relatives).

The way he descibes the sound is a lot closer to how my HE6 sounded with the stock cable than mine does now.

Jun 1, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #1,297 of 6,061
Quote:

I didn't need a cable to come to this conclusion.  With everything stock, The HE-6 was still my #1..
biggrin.gif

It's all about personal taste.
I recenly bought the HD800's as well and I am pretty stunned about how good they sound as well given almost everything I read about them for rock/metal music.

Jun 1, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #1,298 of 6,061
Unlikely when,if I am reading it right, froger seems to prefer the Audio-gd with the HD800's. :wink_face:

However it is not the point as to which is best.
I could understand if froger preferred the MT to the Audio-gd but his Audio-gd sounds almost the opposite than my Audio-gd does in a similar system (our dacs are very close relatives).

The way he descibes the sound is a lot closer to how my HE6 sounded with the stock cable than mine does now.
I mean He-6 is still very good on master 8, just does not feel as dynamic and full sounding on the mini torii, that's why I said the amp matches better, but of cos it is just my preference, though Skylab did mentioned he enjoyed the combination as well. On the contrary, I thought hd800 (on original cable) sounded worse than he-6 on the master 8 amp. While the sound was smooth and the soundstage was big and natural and the bass was tight, I thought the voice really lacked the body to sound realistic. The hd800 music sounded like hi-fi sound, but I didn't feel that musicians/singers are in my room with me compared to LCD 2 with master 8 and he-6 with mini torii combination.

Jun 1, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #1,299 of 6,061
Quote:
I mean He-6 is still very good on master 8, just does not feel as dynamic and full sounding on the mini torii, that's why I said the amp matches better, but of cos it is just my preference, though Skylab did mentioned he enjoyed the combination as well. On the contrary, I thought hd800 (on original cable) sounded worse than he-6 on the master 8 amp. While the sound was smooth and the soundstage was big and natural and the bass was tight, I thought the voice really lacked the body to sound realistic. The hd800 music sounded like hi-fi sound, but I didn't feel that musicians/singers are in my room with me compared to LCD 2 with master 8 and he-6 with mini torii combination.

I wonder if there is a difference in SQ or sound character between the Master-8 and Master-6 because my Master-6 sounds very full bodied and scarily dynamic with all my phones.

I have never heard the mini Torii so maybe it is even more full bodied (quite possible given it's a tube amp) & dynamic but to feel that the Master-8 is lacking body & dynamics with the HE6's is strange to me because I consider both to be strengths of the NFB7/master-6 combi.

But at the end of the day we all hear differently.

Jun 1, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #1,300 of 6,061
Quote:
Hello,

I had buy a Audiomat Prelude Reference. It's an integrated tube amplifier.
Can I run my HE6 without the HE adapter directly on speaker tap ?

Regards

Does it have transformer coupled outputs? I would use an adapter to be on the safe side. 

Jun 1, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #1,301 of 6,061
I wonder if there is a difference in SQ or sound character between the Master-8 and Master-6 because my Master-6 sounds very full bodied and scarily dynamic with all my phones.

I have never heard the mini Torii so maybe it is even more full bodied (quite possible given it's a tube amp) & dynamic but to feel that the Master-8 is lacking body & dynamics with the HE6's is strange to me because I consider both to be strengths of the NFB7/master-6 combi.

But at the end of the day we all hear differently.
I will not go to to the extreme to say that he-6 lacks the body and dynamics on master-8, as I mentioned it still sounds very good. It is hd800 which I thought lacks the body, but of course, I agree we all hear things differently. I just wish I am able to hear Hd800 sounding as spectacular as what others describe, on other gears, to make a better comparison.

Jun 2, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #1,303 of 6,061
Then use an adapter that has resistors in parallel with the headphone load. The HiFiMan one has 10ohm resistors in parallel. 

Jun 5, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #1,304 of 6,061
Just an update, after almost 100 hours burn-in time, my combo Hifiman HE-6 and EF-6 let's my music sing :). Very detailed, spacious and layered sound with plenty of power. I fully recommend this amp to HE-6 adepts....

Although not that universal in use as dedicated speakeramp, this amp is worth investing! Maybe my impression is premature, but i did really try a lot of amps for HE-6 listening. And EF-6 does focus on key-qualities of HE-6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back