Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
May 10, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #1,246 of 6,061
Quote:
Yes the 4 board B22 has higher output, the single ended b22 = 18W @ 8 ohm, and the balance is 50W @ 8 ohm.

I just happen to prefer the dynalo (gs1) and dynamid (gs X) to the 2 board and 4 board b22 respectively (with the Hd800). I'm sure there'll be others preferring the opposite.

well..i´m really curious about dynalo and dynamid but i agree with you about beta and hd-800

May 10, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #1,247 of 6,061
I bet this would sound excellent with the HE6:

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/tube-carver-black-magic-20-integrated-amplifier-by-bob-carver-special-offering-2013-04-16-integrateds-85260-scottsdale-az

May 11, 2013 at 8:36 AM Post #1,248 of 6,061
Quote:
thanks khaine1711! Does not sound like a lot, but def not too bad either -- on paper. Beta is one of these amps I have been admiring from afar based on others' posts. I hope i have a chance to hear it for myself. 

I'll bring mine to the meet.  You can compare the 4 board B22, the GS-X mkII, the F1J, and the F3.  I hope the Mojlnir will make it there.  

What I've found is that the B22 is severely under rated.  However, yes the HD800 is a better match with the GS-X mkII.  But the B22 is a great all arounder for an amp.  

May 13, 2013 at 6:48 AM Post #1,249 of 6,061
Quote:

I'll bring mine to the meet.  You can compare the 4 board B22, the GS-X mkII, the F1J, and the F3.  I hope the Mojlnir will make it there.  

What I've found is that the B22 is severely under rated.  However, yes the HD800 is a better match with the GS-X mkII.  But the B22 is a great all arounder for an amp.  

AWESOME!! 
Thanks Darryl. I am really looking forward to that.

May 13, 2013 at 8:07 AM Post #1,250 of 6,061
Quote:
AWESOME!! 
Thanks Darryl. I am really looking forward to that.

i´m envious.  U.S.A. is so far
deadhorse.gif

May 13, 2013 at 9:06 AM Post #1,252 of 6,061
Quote:

Perhaps, this is meant as an opportunity for you to fire up your local community... and show them the way. 
wink_face.gif

LOL, you say this because you don´t know my local community
biggrin.gif

jokes aside, U.S.A. is another level, no doubt with this

May 13, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #1,253 of 6,061
Yes. But it can start with a single grass-root effort. And the community here? We got 
smiley_thumb.gif
 your back! Though, admittedly... this could take awhile. 

May 13, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #1,254 of 6,061
Quote:
Yes. But it can start with a single grass-root effort. And the community here? We got 
smiley_thumb.gif
 your back! Though, admittedly... this could take awhile. 

yes, a long long long long long time
biggrin.gif

May 22, 2013 at 3:02 AM Post #1,255 of 6,061
schiit lyr and 3 channel beta 22 cannot drive the he 6 properly. not by a long shot. I've had the he 6 for almost a month and I d'ont use them at all. I use my he 500 instead. when I first received them I was very happy and all but reality has quickly struck me. these headphones need at least twice the lyr power and I am done wasting my time with dedicated headphone amps. the he 6 are ok with the lyr but barely. and these are the only amps I got.

I have a CablePro Vitality Banana to 1/4" Headphone Jack adapter from ttvj en route to my home. and an exposure 2010s2 integrated amp soon to follow. I will plug the he 6 directly.

now I know why some people prefer the he 500 or even say the he 500 sound better than the he 6. it's because they have listened to it or reviewed it with barely adequate amplification.  and most of the headphones amps on the marquet are not adequate at all or barely adequate.

even the hifiman he 6 owners guide that come in the box talk about speaker amplifiers. at page 7 of the guide.

chapter 6 of setup and operation.

and the few amps capable of driving the he 6 adequately on the market are overpriced most of the time.

there is a 720 megawatts hydroelectric central 5 minutes away from my home. I was thinking of hooking up my he 6 to the terminals of that thing. maybe this time it will be enough.

May 22, 2013 at 6:35 AM Post #1,256 of 6,061
Quote:
schiit lyr and 3 channel beta 22 cannot drive the he 6 properly. not by a long shot. I've had the he 6 for almost a month and I d'ont use them at all. I use my he 500 instead. when I first received them I was very happy and all but reality has quickly struck me. these headphones need at least twice the lyr power and I am done wasting my time with dedicated headphone amps. the he 6 are ok with the lyr but barely. and these are the only amps I got.

I have a CablePro Vitality Banana to 1/4" Headphone Jack adapter from ttvj en route to my home. and an exposure 2010s2 integrated amp soon to follow. I will plug the he 6 directly.

now I know why some people prefer the he 500 or even say the he 500 sound better than the he 6. it's because they have listened to it or reviewed it with barely adequate amplification.  and most of the headphones amps on the marquet are not adequate at all or barely adequate.

even the hifiman he 6 owners guide that come in the box talk about speaker amplifiers. at page 7 of the guide.

chapter 6 of setup and operation.

and the few amps capable of driving the he 6 adequately on the market are overpriced most of the time.

there is a 720 megawatts hydroelectric central 5 minutes away from my home. I was thinking of hooking up my he 6 to the terminals of that thing. maybe this time it will be enough.

Have you checked that your amp can handle 1/4 inch to speaker terminals? Most amps will burn out if you use such an adapter. Usually you should use balanced out on the headphone side to keep the ground separate. It is my understanding that amps which can handle 1/4 inch to speakers are rare.

May 22, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #1,257 of 6,061
Quote:
Have you checked that your amp can handle 1/4 inch to speaker terminals? Most amps will burn out if you use such an adapter. Usually you should use balanced out on the headphone side to keep the ground separate. It is my understanding that amps which can handle 1/4 inch to speakers are rare.

I will take the ttvj cable and I will modify it. I already checked the hifiman cable and it is not complicated at all.

May 22, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #1,258 of 6,061
Cross Post:

Quote:
@preproman
Which amps other than the one in your rig that you've enjoyed with HE-6?

The Mjolnir = OK
The GS-X mkII = OK
The BHA-1 = Not good
The Balanced B22 = OK
The Emotiva a-100 = on the better side of OK - pretty good.
Emotiva UPA-1s mono blocks = Good- better than the a-100
Rotel RMB-100 mono blocks = Good better than the a-100 on the same level as the UPA-1s with less of a sound stage.
Beta 24 speaker amp = Good - not as good as either of the mono blocks
Sim Audio Moon 600i / 700i Integrated Amps = The best I've ever heard (went to the audio store)  cost way to much money.
PrimaLuna Tube power amp and integrated amps = Did just OK
Audio GD Master 3 = very good / warm, intimate less airy and open smaller sound stage when compared to the F1J.
First Watt F1J = The best I've heard that I can afford.  Paired with the PWD mkII is really awesome.  

IMO

May 25, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #1,259 of 6,061
Having sold my Bryston BHA-1 because is wasn't able to drive HE-6 at it's best...

At this moment i'm using integrated amplifier to drive HE-6 but I'll hope my new Hifiman EF-6 will get the best out of my HE-6. I think with dedicated headphone-amp I'll enjoy HE-6 even more. Mainly because increase in user-friendliness! I just want to use my integrated amplifier for my speaker-setup. But as said before, the new headphone-amp will have a hard job to beat current setup.

I'll hope I have the answers on my thoughts soon...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back