Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Jun 11, 2016 at 6:33 AM Post #4,592 of 6,061
Great impressions! I am really pleased with the Xindak PA-M (II) with the HE-6 and have always been curious about its more powerful sibling. Always nice to actually audition gear prior to purchase. Noticed the Xindak is twice the weight of the other two.

I read about the PA-MII before I went in, but I wanted something in the ~100wpc range. It was really lucky that I got to audition them and have the place to myself while I did. Once I told the dealer I'd buy 1 of the 3 he was pretty agreeable :wink:

And yeah, the Xindak is so much heavier because it's actually got 2 power transformers in it; 1 totally dedicated to the left channel and 1 totally dedicated to the right channel. That's really cool and very audiophile, but until the rubber met the pavement I couldn't say if it had an advantage. The fact that the amp weighs more than my wife is certainly a conversation piece now :)

Jun 11, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #4,593 of 6,061
I read about the PA-MII before I went in, but I wanted something in the ~100wpc range. It was really lucky that I got to audition them and have the place to myself while I did. Once I told the dealer I'd buy 1 of the 3 he was pretty agreeable :wink:

And yeah, the Xindak is so much heavier because it's actually got 2 power transformers in it; 1 totally dedicated to the left channel and 1 totally dedicated to the right channel. That's really cool and very audiophile, but until the rubber met the pavement I couldn't say if it had an advantage. The fact that the amp weighs more than my wife is certainly a conversation piece now :)

That reminds me a hell a lot like the Behringer A500 im thinking of getting. Rather than screwing with individual gain knobs, probably get a line level control like the Emotiva Control Freak or Micca Origen+ so its much more convenient in that sense

Jun 11, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #4,595 of 6,061
That reminds me a hell a lot like the Behringer A500 im thinking of getting. Rather than screwing with individual gain knobs, probably get a line level control like the Emotiva Control Freak or Micca Origen+ so its much more convenient in that sense

If you don't mind me asking, how did any of that remind you of the Behringer A500? You can't be talking about A600 being similar in name to A500, and then everything else being different, are you....? Are you?

They're totally different amps. Internally the Behringer is most similar to the Shanling A3.2, but everything else about the Shanling is better. Get the Shanling, it has a remote so no need for the additional dial/potentiometer.

Speaking of the A500. Would it be good for the HE6? Its 300wpc and class AB, but i dont have the adapter box to prevent the high load from destroying my phones

Maybe don't get a 300wpc amp if you don't need it? Like what's the angle? If it's not free, if you haven't heard it and know how to put it together, if it's not over at your friend's place, then why go bananas? Get something in the <150-200wpc range? Better yet, get the HiFiMAN HE-Adaptor box, then go test at HiFi shops first hand?

Jun 11, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #4,596 of 6,061
If you don't mind me asking, how did any of that remind you of the Behringer A500? You can't be talking about A600 being similar in name to A500, and then everything else being different, are you....? Are you?

They're totally different amps. Internally the Behringer is most similar to the Shanling A3.2, but everything else about the Shanling is better. Get the Shanling, it has a remote so no need for the additional dial/potentiometer.
Maybe don't get a 300wpc amp if you don't need it? Like what's the angle? If it's not free, if you haven't heard it and know how to put it together, if it's not over at your friend's place, then why go bananas? Get something in the <150-200wpc range? Better yet, get the HiFiMAN HE-Adaptor box, then go test at HiFi shops first hand?

The individual volume knobs reminded me of that

Jun 11, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #4,597 of 6,061
Seriously guys, if you're starting off with speaker amps then stick with something near 50W (rated at 8ohms). Heck, my first was a 20W Nuforce Icon (about the size of a paperback book) which had more than enough headroom and sounded far better than the numerous full-fledged power amps I tried afterwards.

Jun 11, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #4,598 of 6,061
Seriously guys, if you're starting off with speaker amps then stick with something near 50W (rated at 8ohms). Heck, my first was a 20W Nuforce Icon (about the size of a paperback book) which had more than enough headroom and sounded far better than the numerous full-fledged power amps I tried afterwards.

Glad finally someone said it.

Jun 11, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #4,599 of 6,061

Is the NuForce a Tamp like my SMSL?

Jun 11, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #4,600 of 6,061

I've been saying it for years
rolleyes.gif

Is the NuForce a Tamp like my SMSL?

Class T amps are simply a subset of class D, the T in this case referring to the Tripath brand of chips used in the circuit.

The Nuforce amps are class D, though they do not use off-the-shelf components and design their own in-house.

Jun 11, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #4,601 of 6,061

Well, if I had the choice at the time, I would go with the A600 as well. 80 WPC seems to be a pretty nice number for the HE-6. However, I am still surprised at what the 20 WPC P-AM (II) is capable of. 

Jun 11, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #4,602 of 6,061
I've been saying it for years :rolleyes:

Class T amps are simply a subset of class D, the T in this case referring to the Tripath brand of chips used in the circuit.

The Nuforce amps are class D, though they do not use off-the-shelf components and design their own in-house.

Is the Nu Force Icon a headphonw amp dac? Or do they have a speaker amp version too. Cause all im getting on Amazon is the amp dac

Jun 11, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #4,603 of 6,061
Is the Nu Force Icon a headphonw amp dac? Or do they have a speaker amp version too. Cause all im getting on Amazon is the amp dac

All their Icon family is small in size, confusingly named, and long discontinued.

Icon and Icon2 = combined dac and speaker amp, has analog ins, also has headphone output on the front, and aux output on back for subs
Icon Amp = power amp only
Icon HDP = dac (usb/optical/coax) and headphone amp, has analog ins
Icon iDo = dac/headamp compatible with apple devices
Icon DAC = newer dac/headamp, compatible with android
Icon Dia = power dac
I'm probably forgetting some

Jun 11, 2016 at 5:16 PM Post #4,604 of 6,061
All their Icon family is small in size, confusingly named, and long discontinued.

Icon and Icon2 = combined dac and speaker amp, has analog ins, also has headphone output on the front, and aux output on back for subs
Icon Amp = power amp only
Icon HDP = dac (usb/optical/coax) and headphone amp, has analog ins
Icon iDo = dac/headamp compatible with apple devices
Icon DAC = newer dac/headamp, compatible with android
Icon Dia = power dac
I'm probably forgetting some

Oh okay i see. The power amp is avaliable on Amazon Canada for 200 but im sure its cheaper on ebay. I got the SMSL SA98e in gold for $100can. I need to replace the power cable, because it came with a UK plug, but thatll only be another6 bucks

Jun 11, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #4,605 of 6,061

I also don't get this... You're the one who recommended you get a 300wpc amp, then try to deal with the excess power... Anyway, seems we're off that idea now, so we're safe.

I second the idea of finding a nice NuForce amp. I always thought their gear was very competitive in all areas. If that's the right price for you and you can find one, have a go. Besides it though, there's certainly no limit to what not crazily powered speaker amps will work with the HE-6. Just go snap one up and try it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back