Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Feb 3, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #3,721 of 6,061
Well, there is no accounting for taste... This certainly shows that. I've never previously seen anyone describe the HeadAmp gear as ugly either. While the aesthetics of lots of other gear here is plenty polarising (the HE1000 a good example), opinion on the HeadAmp gear in terms of both sound and looks is some of the most highly conserved feedback you'll find on Head-Fi. To each their own...

Feb 3, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #3,722 of 6,061

You are, what may be the only one on Head Fi that thinks the GS-X mk2 is ugly.  The mk2 - not the first one?  If this is the case do you also thing the BHSE is ugly as well?

It's personal preference I guess, GSX mk2 looks like home made product to me, I think someone showed me the red one and I had to tell him it looks beautiful just to make him feel better.

Thing I really don't like about his design is the ugly screw in front panel, that just doesn't look professional to me.  audioGd, HPA8C for the same reason, screws are showing everywhere, should have clean panels. BHSE I have no idea, I cannot afford that kind of amps, at that price range I buy real estate.

That's just me, my opinion should not matter to anyone. just my opinon. 

Feb 3, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #3,723 of 6,061
Just about anything with 845 tubes in it is going to look good, and the Italians know a thing or two about style.

Stunning bit of kit.

I'm told that it sounds as good as it looks too (I think Frank did a review @ part time audiophile)?

Feb 3, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #3,724 of 6,061
I have heard it with audeze. I am not a fan of their headphones generally but the sound was stunning with the viva. I am hoping that they have it again at the Capitol audio fest and hopefully with the he1000.

Feb 3, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #3,725 of 6,061

I know a lot of people complain about Audio-GDs aesthetics, but I think the look of those power amps is darn beastly.

I really wish AudioGD to improve the physical appearance. I am sorry but no matter how good the product is if it looks ugly (like gsx amps) I will never buy.
You are already paying high price so expect the good looking device. :) just me, but AudioGd is one fine product.

Although that's very true, you also "get what you pay for". If Kingwa added a fancy enclosure to his products, the price would jump $200 for most of them. Or he could go farther and come up with something like the dark star. A $200 amp in a $2000 enclosure. I think he's just aiming at value. 

Feb 3, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #3,726 of 6,061
:D
Although that's very true, you also "get what you pay for". If Kingwa added a fancy enclosure to his products, the price would jump $200 for most of them. Or he could go farther and come up with something like the dark star. A $200 amp in a $2000 enclosure. I think he's just aiming at value. 

Feb 3, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #3,727 of 6,061
I dont care about looks as long all the money goes into quality in built and quality interior...i prefer top notch interior over any flashy looking (and mostly expensive) exteriors...as its how it sounds what matters...am glad that some brands think same as me....putting quality built insides over any beautiful exterior to keep price as affordable as possible for what it delivers soundwise :wink:

Feb 3, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #3,728 of 6,061

It's personal preference I guess, GSX mk2 looks like home made product to me, I think someone showed me the red one and I had to tell him it looks beautiful just to make him feel better.

Thing I really don't like about his design is the ugly screw in front panel, that just doesn't look professional to me.  audioGd, HPA8C for the same reason, screws are showing everywhere, should have clean panels. BHSE I have no idea, I cannot afford that kind of amps, at that price range I buy real estate.

That's just me, my opinion should not matter to anyone. just my opinon. 

Just about anything with 845 tubes in it is going to look good, and the Italians know a thing or two about style.

Stunning bit of kit.

I'm told that it sounds as good as it looks too (I think Frank did a review @ part time audiophile)?

I dont care about looks as long all the money goes into quality in built and quality interior...i prefer top notch interior over any flashy looking (and mostly expensive) exteriors...as its how it sounds what matters...am glad that some brands think same as me....putting quality built insides over any beautiful exterior to keep price as affordable as possible for what it delivers soundwise
wink.gif

The vast chasm separating opinions of what is "value" in an amp clearly illustrates one point:  it is not a simple issue.

While an analogy is never perfect, it may be helpful to use one here just to put some distance between ourselves and the topic we tend to be a tad emotional about.

Let's take the case of a restaurant:  Many folks feel that food is the only thing that matters.  On the other end of the spectrum are folks who believe that the whole experience is important, food, service, decor and ambiance (music, noise level, people, etc...). I do feel a bit sorry for the audio-gear makers.  It is a  very difficult task to design a product that appeals to a crowd with such a vast difference in preference:  put all the money into maximizing the sound or strike a balance between the ears, eyes and touch, etc.,i.e. the whole experience?   

A case in point is the Apex Peak/Volcano (~$2,100).  Most of the money went into the sound--and the Peak/Volcano does sound fantastic--with little left for the look and built of the chassis.  Some reviewers were less than kind to this choice, especially when moderately-priced gears like the Schiit and Burson (at half the price) seem to strike a better balance between sound and cosmetics.  Finally, there are the Woo products which clearly attempt to appeal to all your senses and even your pride of ownership while also leaving a deep hole in your pocket book.  Which approach delivers the best value?  The answer is even less clear to me now than when I began to pound on this keyboard..     

So, what does this have to do with amps that can drive the HE-6?  Perhaps very little.  My apologies.

Feb 3, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #3,729 of 6,061
if you are a purist, sound is all that matters. some of the most ugly headphones are also considered amongst the very best in sound quality. sennheiser hd 800 will not win beauty contest. speaking of not sobeautiful stuff that sound good, I am happy to report that the headphone socket of the hegel h160 integrated will drive he-6, but hegel hd12 is not optimal. with hd 800 it is sublime.

Feb 4, 2015 at 7:56 AM Post #3,730 of 6,061

if you are a purist, sound is all that matters. some of the most ugly headphones are also considered amongst the very best in sound quality. sennheiser hd 800 will not win beauty contest. speaking of not so beautiful stuff that sound good, I am happy to report that the headphone socket of the hegel h160 integrated will drive he-6, but hegel hd12 is not optimal. with hd 800 it is sublime.

I would beg to disagree about the look of the HD800.  

While the bold, modern lines and strong color contrast may not be to everyone's taste, I would never go so far as to suggest that the HD800 is "ugly."   Far from it.  As a matter of fact, I think the HD800 looks exactly like it sounds: bold, precise with striking clarity.

Now, I would completely agree with you if, instead of the HD800, you were referring to the Abyss...  

Feb 4, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #3,733 of 6,061
With the Audeze pads on my HE-6, I can see them.  Like, while I`m wearing them, they stick out so far on my long, narrow skull that I can actually see them by looking to the side.  

They`re beautiful.  

Feb 5, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #3,735 of 6,061
What effect does it have on the HE-6 to under-drive it?

Weak bass and a loss of dynamics. That special texture that the HE6 gives to music is also absent. The sound is 'thin' and anemic.

This is exactly how the HE6 sounds from my Taurus - great amp, but it just doesn't have the juice for the HE6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back