Amps that are out of fashion but still used and loved?
Sep 8, 2008 at 7:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

pbirkett

Headphoneus Supremus
Just wondering if there are any amps out there that people are still using that could be considered out of fashion, even if they were ever in fashion to start with.

It seems to me that amps seem to come and go pretty regularly especially compared with headphones which remain by and large pretty consistent.

I myself use the little known ANT Amber, and have done for 3.5 years and am delighted with the way it drives my HD600s for what was a pretty inexpensive amp. Personally I think possibly a victim of being somewhat ugly and lacking "bling bling" factor, yet compared to many amps I tried at the time, it compared very favourably.

Other amps I can think of that I rarely hear mentioned are the likes of the Headsave Classic (also a good little amp for the cash), the Perreaux SXH1 (I was indifferent to this one), and some of the older Headroom amps.

Just wondering how many other people use "out of fashion" or discontinued headphone amps and are quite happy with them.

Do we really feel like there have been major advances in headphone amp design and sound quality? I think in most areas of hifi, there have not really been particularly big strides made in sound quality in the last say 10 years or so... except perhaps source components, which although in absolute terms are no better than they were back then, the price at which they can be acquired for is considerably less than it was back then...

Sep 8, 2008 at 9:52 PM Post #2 of 27
Yes, I am going to be building my system around the Aural Audition, an all-FET solid state headphone amplifier designed by Erno Borbely. I picked this up used earlier this year. Aural is now defunct. I'm going to try a variety of power cords and headphones to see if I can make this tank sing.

Sep 9, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #4 of 27
I bought used a discontinued headroom cosmic with a 4 D cell battery brick. Portable? Only when I added an astrodyne power supply did it make me happy. A much better home amp.

Sep 9, 2008 at 11:32 PM Post #5 of 27
Sugden Headmaster...love mine though
k701smile.gif

Sep 10, 2008 at 12:26 AM Post #6 of 27
PPAv2 - completely underrated and fantastic

Dynalo - for some reason VERY few few of these around, but that's likely because people often opt for the HeadAmp Gilmore Lite, the commercial equivalent - but there you obviously get great support, a proven design and know where it came from.

Pimeta - I don't know why so few use this amp, it's easily the best bang/buck I've ever seen.

Sep 10, 2008 at 12:47 AM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PPAv2 - completely underrated and fantastic

Dynalo - for some reason VERY few few of these around, but that's likely because people often opt for the HeadAmp Gilmore Lite, the commercial equivalent - but there you obviously get great support, a proven design and know where it came from.

Pimeta - I don't know why so few use this amp, it's easily the best bang/buck I've ever seen.

I still love my Dynalo. I spend a lot more time listening to tubes these days, but it is an excellent amp.

I think part of the unpopularity is because the chips are hard to find. I looked into building a Dynamid about a year ago and was not able to find everything.

Sep 10, 2008 at 7:23 AM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by cobra_verde /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I am going to be building my system around the Aural Audition, an all-FET solid state headphone amplifier designed by Erno Borbely. I picked this up used earlier this year.

That's an awesome looking amp inside and out and I'd love to hear some impressions some time.

These aren't seen for sale much at all which makes me wonder how many units Aural actually shipped before biting the dust and what they go for used these days.

Sep 10, 2008 at 3:10 PM Post #11 of 27
LaRocco PPA w/STEPS
Rockhopper M3 w/STEPS
Ascent Signature (maxxed out pimeta, I believe)

Unless I plan to spend considerably more money from sources to headphones, my entire audio chain, above amps will give me enough satisfaction that I desire at this time.

Sep 10, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #12 of 27
Perhaps not out of fashion, but definitely over looked is the RSA XP-7. I think it's perhaps pound for pound the best pure amp Ray has produced. Particularly with the isolated power system and the platform for the 9V. I still use it all the time. You never see any mention of it though.

Sep 11, 2008 at 2:36 AM Post #15 of 27
for those times when you want a ton of bass and just rock out but you can't cause it's late, RKV would be perfect.

what is a dynamid? that a dynalo with higher output transistors and a beefier power supply?

meier corda ha-1 is pretty good also for budget amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back