Amping for Ultrasone Pro 900
Aug 3, 2011 at 9:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

cricketbaby

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, i'm thinking of buying a set of Ultrasone Pro 900s for listening to EDM at home. The only amp i currently own is a Little Dot MK V and i'm unsure how the two will pair up? Can anybody who may have tried the combination let me know their thoughts in terms of the overall sound quality? 

Aug 3, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #2 of 12
I should also mention that i am a bit worried about having impedance issues as the Pro 900s are only 40 Ohms?

Aug 3, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #4 of 12
Thanks that does help! Seems like the MK V is designed for cans with an impedance of 32 ohms and above. It might be worth posting a thread on the LD forum.

Cheers!

Aug 4, 2011 at 1:20 AM Post #5 of 12
I'm in the same situation, I'm looking for an amp for my PRO 2900s (open 900s) and my list is down to the MKV, the 1+, and the Matrix M Stage. I don't see any reason the V would not work, it should be a good match. Avoid OTL amps like the Little Dot II/III/IV as they are not a good match for low impedance headphones, I've been searching through threads for days now trying to pick an amp and someone with PRO750s I belive said that the I+ is better than the III for his PROs.

TL/DR version, stick to SS or Hybrid amps, your amp should be fine, and I would l would be curious how it sounds as I am looking at the MK V myself :).

Aug 4, 2011 at 6:16 AM Post #6 of 12
I've just purchased myself a nice shiny new pair of 900s and i'll report back as to how they sound with the MK V as i'm sure there must be a few other people out there wondering the same thing. I should say that i've never actually heard a tube or hybrid amp so i wouldn't be able to do any comparisons.

Aug 4, 2011 at 7:27 AM Post #7 of 12

Quote:
I've just purchased myself a nice shiny new pair of 900s and i'll report back as to how they sound with the MK V as i'm sure there must be a few other people out there wondering the same thing. I should say that i've never actually heard a tube or hybrid amp so i wouldn't be able to do any comparisons.

I am also interested to know how the MK V pairs with the 900..
Keep in touch...

Aug 4, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #8 of 12

Will do. They've been dispatched already!

Aug 7, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #9 of 12
Just arrived and i've had a quick listen. I'll do a bit of a better write-up after some burn in but i can report that the backround noise is dead silent with the MK V. So far i would agree with what everyone else has written about them out of the box - metallic highs, flabby bass etc. 

Aug 7, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #10 of 12

Quote:
Just arrived and i've had a quick listen. I'll do a bit of a better write-up after some burn in but i can report that the backround noise is dead silent with the MK V. So far i would agree with what everyone else has written about them out of the box - metallic highs, flabby bass etc. 

Nice to hear that you have it at last..
Give it some time and after come and post again...
regular_smile .gif

Aug 7, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #11 of 12
Yeah, I'm waiting for some impressions for the PRO MK V combo  too, but give the PROs some burn in time, mine took a week or two.

Aug 8, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #12 of 12

Quote:
Yeah, I'm waiting for some impressions for the PRO MK V combo  too, but give the PROs some burn in time, mine took a week or two.

Yeah that's my plan, currently got them on a pink / white noise and recorded silence playlist. Already they have opened up loads, even tried producing with them and i can tell that they are going to be exactly what i'm after!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back