Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-3
Mar 7, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #1,171 of 1,285
Been using a new LCD3-F since the beginning of this week with Violectric V281 (Exasound E22 DAC): fantastic match!!!!

Mar 23, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #1,173 of 1,285
Hi,
I am going to be ordering an LCD-3 soon and was curious about amp selection.  My source is a scout TT with dynavector 10x5 cart piped into a Herron VTPH2.  I am looking for a nice neutral sound that will pair well with my TT and Herron.  I am also looking for it to having an RCA output that will feed into my receiver for speaker listening.

I was originally looking at Icon Hp8 but I havent been able to find too much about it. 

Thanks so much,
sfg

Mar 24, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #1,174 of 1,285
  Hi,
I am going to be ordering an LCD-3 soon and was curious about amp selection.  My source is a scout TT with dynavector 10x5 cart piped into a Herron VTPH2.  I am looking for a nice neutral sound that will pair well with my TT and Herron.  I am also looking for it to having an RCA output that will feed into my receiver for speaker listening.

I was originally looking at Icon Hp8 but I havent been able to find too much about it. 

Thanks so much,
sfg

If you don't mind a SS amp Schiit Ragnarok is very close to neutral and can (probably) drive your speakers too. :wink:

Mar 24, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #1,176 of 1,285
Ragnarok has SE and balanced headphone out but ideally you want to use balanced at it is superior.  It also has SE, balanced out and speaker taps on the back as well as 5 inputs (2 balanced, 3 se)

Picture of the back:
http://schiit.com/public/upload/general/imagecache_thumbnail_product_gallery_large/ragnarok%20rr-1000.jpg

Makes a good control center for your desktop.

My TT path is VPI Classic + Lyra Kleos (XLR junction box) -> Seta L phono stage -> Ragnarok -> LCD-3F  but I also have a DAC/recorder (TASCAM DA-3000) hooked up as well as input from my computer and output to some cheap computer speakers which I plan to replace soon with some proper speakers.

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:19 AM Post #1,177 of 1,285
Hi,
I am pretty new to the headphone 'sport' and I would very much value your opinion.
I am using my LCD 3F with my Chord Hugo, and I think they sound really nice.
On the other hand (and from a previous attempt on headphones) I have a Schiit Valhala (which I tried to pair with HD650, with very poor results in my ears). I know that according to the specs, the Valhalla should not pair too good with the LCD3, while the Hugo should be a better match.
I am doing A/B for the last 3 hours, and I really prefer the Valhalla.
Now my question is, if the Valhalla sounds better than the Hugo (if that makes any sense), would a move to the Mjolnir really do justice to the headphones?
Any comment / suggestion really appreciated

Apr 20, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #1,178 of 1,285
^ As a general rule if something sounds good to you, go with it. We all have to figure out our own preferences.

As far as I know the Hugo excels as a DAC, whereas the Valhalla is a dedicated hp amplifier. I haven't heard either of these, but I know the Valhalla is built with higher impedance (Z) phones in mind. That said, the 3F has an impedance of 110 - meaning it is less current hungry. I currently enjoy my 3F much better on my OTL tube amp - meant for higher Z - than my tube-based speaker/hp amp which excels with my 50 ohm LCD2.

The Mjolnir was designed before the 3F appeared, and may have had lower Z orthodynamics in mind. If so, a move from Valhalla to Mjolnir might be 'different' rather than 'better'.

Why not try the search this thread option? Look for "Mjolnir 3F" or similar. Or just google. You might find some useful impressions. The Mjolnir thread might help too...

May 16, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #1,180 of 1,285
Hello everyone!
I'm a big doubt and please, I need the opinion of you.
I'm in doubt between buying AMP Woo Audio WA22 or Aurilic Taurus MKII for use with LCD-3 Audeze (fazor)
I always liked more amplifiers with tubes, and I was already decided to buy the WA22. However, after reading some reviews, I was very interested in the Taurus Auralic MKII, mainly because the two are in the same price range.
After reading the reviews about Taurus MKII, I saw that technically it is better than the WA22, however, all are emphatic in saying that it is very transparent and that's exactly why I'm a little worried. I like the sound a bit Warm.
Currently, I use my LCD-3 with an AMP SS Meier Audio CONCERTO.
Please help me decide!
Thank you

Jun 4, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #1,182 of 1,285
@bblegram
I love the sound a bit warm too and hate edgy treble and digital mids. I have an LCD-3F with an Auralic Taurus MKII and this is a perfect fit. It is very transparent and natural, but not at all cold, edgy, hollow, glaring, digitally sounding or something like that. My DAC is Auralic ARK MX+. Especially some Sabre DACs are known for their glare, so be careful with them.

Jun 17, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #1,183 of 1,285
Hello all,

Just ordered LCD-3 to make a step up from Sennheiser HD270. Now I looking for some good amp to match upcoming LCD-3. My cyrrent amp: O2. It is perfect match to quite sensitive HD270, but even if I'll replace it output stage to LME49600 buffers, it will not be able to deliver amount of power required by LCD-3 phones. Poor dynamics, blur bottom end are predicted easily.
The amp I looking for should to be well detailed, not rolled off, low THD+N, possible slightly warm, with very small "tube signature". It should not to be overkill expensive.
So after some reading and research on the net, I came across following:
Auralic Taurus MK2
Bryston BHA-1
Cavalli Liquid Crimson / Liquid Glass
Ray Samuel Apache
Than several DIY options also:
Project Ember, Cavvali EHHA rev A, Pass F5
Just need some help to make final decision. Any of you suggestions and thoughts are welcome.

Jun 18, 2015 at 1:03 AM Post #1,185 of 1,285
  Hello all,

Just ordered LCD-3 to make a step up from Sennheiser HD270. Now I looking for some good amp to match upcoming LCD-3. My cyrrent amp: O2. It is perfect match to quite sensitive HD270, but even if I'll replace it output stage to LME49600 buffers, it will not be able to deliver amount of power required by LCD-3 phones. Poor dynamics, blur bottom end are predicted easily.
The amp I looking for should to be well detailed, not rolled off, low THD+N, possible slightly warm, with very small "tube signature". It should not to be overkill expensive.
So after some reading and research on the net, I came across following:
Auralic Taurus MK2
Bryston BHA-1
Cavalli Liquid Crimson / Liquid Glass
Ray Samuel Apache
Than several DIY options also:
Project Ember, Cavvali EHHA rev A, Pass F5
Just need some help to make final decision. Any of you suggestions and thoughts are welcome.

Don't forget @WooAudio WA7+WA7tp.  We use LCD3 with this system at trade shows with wonderful results.  We use Audeze LCDx in our marketing materials.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back