Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-3
Sep 17, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #856 of 1,285
  Both end game so not too likely.  I keep getting the itch to try the Ref 10.32 but probably never will :frowning2:

You seem very attached to the GS-X m2, so I am interested to understand why you think the Ref 10.32 would be "end game" and even worth considering over the GS-X mk2?

Its an honest question I need an amp for my LCD3 and so far the GS-X seems to be it but given you above comment has got me interested. 

Sep 17, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #857 of 1,285
You seem very attached to the GS-X m2, so I am interested to understand why you think the Ref 10.32 would be "end game" and even worth considering over the GS-X mk2?

Its an honest question I need an amp for my LCD3 and so far the GS-X seems to be it but given you above comment has got me interested. 
I think Solude meant GS-X and Master-8 as both end game amps.

Sep 17, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #859 of 1,285
Kingwa is a very bright guy and his products are a fraction of what the same would cost if by a NA or EU company. But they are also huge :wink:

Sep 17, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #860 of 1,285
Has anyone here tried the Bottlehead SEX with the LCD3's?

Sep 17, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #861 of 1,285
So are you guys saying that Master 8 could be a variable alternative to GS-X and better than the Soloist?

Are there any other viable GS-X alternatives under 3k?

Sep 17, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #862 of 1,285
So are you guys saying that Master 8 could be a variable alternative to GS-X and better than the Soloist?

Do you have an open mind?  If so, consider the following:

TBI Millenia MG3 speaker amp with a resistor box and speaker tap (~$650 delivered in the US).

Odyssey Cyclops speaker amp with a speaker tap (~$1345 delivered in the US, or if you have a quality pre-amp to handle volume, ~$1245 without a volume control). 

The Odyssey is a better-sounding amp, and I think it's at least twice as good (that's why I bought it and use it more often with my LCDs than I do the MG3, which I'm now using to drive speakers), but it also costs twice as much.  IMO both are significantly better-sounding than the MJ or Soloist/Conductor, which I compared directly to these amps a couple of months back.  Others have now tried the MG3, and loved it, with both LCDs and the HD800 (read the speaker amp thread for their opinions).  I don't know of anybody else who has tried the Odyssey yet, though I hope somebody else does, so that they can either love it and confirm my opinion, or hate it and confirm for most of you that I'm deaf. 
wink_face.gif

Sep 17, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #863 of 1,285
Kingwa is a very bright guy and his products are a fraction of what the same would cost if by a NA or EU company. But they are also huge
wink.gif

Its not like the GS-X mk2 is super small either 
wink_face.gif

Obviously given my location the Master-8 works out a lot cheaper then the GS-X, and I may be able to Demo it maybe..
Have you heard the Master-8? Or why do you think it will be good with the LCD3 like the GS-X ?

Don't get me wrong I am happy to drop the cash on the a GS-X as well, if its the right thing to do, but I would love to demo it.

Sep 17, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #864 of 1,285
I believe it's good because the gent who designed the Dynalo(GS-1/GS-X) believes it's as good.  He also happened to replace his Krell with one so I'm inclined to believe him :wink:  At 17x17x4 though it's a monster.  GS-X mk2 is 14x9x5 stacked.

Sep 17, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #865 of 1,285

The Bakoon HPA-21, which was designed using the LCD-3 retails for $2995.00. The amp is battery powered and employs the Japanese designed SATRI circuit which has been constantly refined for over 20 years now. It is a current driven amp along the lines of a First Watt F-1 but includes a traditional voltage headphone output as well. Headphone transducers lend themselves perfectly to current driven amps.

This amp gets little love on HF (perhaps since very few have even listened to one) but Kevin Gilmore himself has given very high praise in print on HF to Bakoon amps. Realistically, the GS-X or the HPA-21 would both be SS end-game solutions.

Don't know where you are located but it is not difficult to have an HPA-21 sent to you in the U.S. on a trial basis.

Sep 17, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #866 of 1,285
I replaced my krell krc-hr with an audio-gd master1 when the krell volume control motor went nuts and
it took several weeks and about $500 to get the parts to fix it. After fixing it the krell was permanently
retired because the master1 blows it away in across the board. Yes its a big and heavy monster, I leave
it on all the time and it gets fairly hot. The krell fpb600 has since been replaced by a pair of master2
power amps. The pile of retired krell now in the basement exceeds $50k.

I have the schematics on all the audio-gd stuff, and it mirrors my current design thoughts on a lot
of what I have been thinking about lately. But lets face it, I cannot even buy the parts or raw material
to build this stuff for the prices kingwa is selling this gear for. Really high quality for a goofy low price.

although I have not heard it, knowing the design concepts of the master8 I expect it to sound outstanding
regardless of price.

I have not heard the bakoon amp either.

but all this stuff is current conveyor based, as is the ayre stuff and some of the other new high end stuff.
its the only way to do ultra low distortion designs with no global feedback.

I may still buy the d'agostino preamp and a pair of his power amps next year. They get very high ratings.
Maybe I have not learned my lesson yet.

The GSX2 is still my favorite medium powered dynamic headphone amp. By a fair amount.
My supersymmetry balanced dynahi is my favorite high powered dynamic amp for ultra low efficiency headphones like he6.

Sep 17, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #867 of 1,285
The Bakoon HPA-21, which was designed using the LCD-3 retails for $2995.00. The amp is battery powered and employs the Japanese designed SATRI circuit which has been constantly refined for over 20 years now. It is a current driven amp along the lines of a First Watt F-1 but includes a traditional voltage headphone output as well. Headphone transducers lend themselves perfectly to current driven amps.

This amp gets little love on HF (perhaps since very few have even listened to one) but Kevin Gilmore himself has given very high praise in print on HF to Bakoon amps. Realistically, the GS-X or the HPA-21 would both be SS end-game solutions.

Don't know where you are located but it is not difficult to have an HPA-21 sent to you in the U.S. on a trial basis.

The problem with the Bakoon as I see it is it has to run off of battery. And the battery will not charge when plugged in and in use.

Sep 17, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #868 of 1,285
  although I have not heard it, knowing the design concepts of the master8 I expect it to sound outstanding
regardless of price.

Take M1, add relay for pre-out/headphone, add jacks in the front... M8.  Also a bias switch but otherwise same circuit.

Sep 17, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #869 of 1,285
  I replaced my krell krc-hr with an audio-gd master1 when the krell volume control motor went nuts and
it took several weeks and about $500 to get the parts to fix it. After fixing it the krell was permanently
retired because the master1 blows it away in across the board. Yes its a big and heavy monster, I leave
it on all the time and it gets fairly hot. The krell fpb600 has since been replaced by a pair of master2
power amps. The pile of retired krell now in the basement exceeds $50k.

I have the schematics on all the audio-gd stuff, and it mirrors my current design thoughts on a lot
of what I have been thinking about lately. But lets face it, I cannot even buy the parts or raw material
to build this stuff for the prices kingwa is selling this gear for. Really high quality for a goofy low price.

regardless of price.

I have not heard the bakoon amp either.

but all this stuff is current conveyor based, as is the ayre stuff and some of the other new high end stuff.
its the only way to do ultra low distortion designs with no global feedback.

I may still buy the d'agostino preamp and a pair of his power amps next year. They get very high ratings.
Maybe I have not learned my lesson yet.

The GSX2 is still my favorite medium powered dynamic headphone amp. By a fair amount.
My supersymmetry balanced dynahi is my favorite high powered dynamic amp for ultra low efficiency headphones like he6.

Using your Master 2's with speakers correct?  Wonder how they sound with the HE-6?  I know the Master 3 sounds great with them..

Sep 17, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #870 of 1,285
Wilsons, yes.  Just a bit too big and impractical to use with headphones.
I'm all for overkill, but that is too much overkill. Not really power wise, but
physically unusable.

The ACSS  (copy of krell cast) makes a very big difference too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back