Amp needed for AKG K240 Studio?
Mar 12, 2012 at 6:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ArgyleHumbucker

New Head-Fier
I've had my K240 for a few months and I'm loving it. But I was curious as to whether or not an amp would be useful with it, as it does seem a bit quiet at times. I've never owned or used a headphone amp before, so I'm not sure if it's an absolute necessity with mine, I'd love to get some guidance on this. Thanks for any feedback.

Mar 12, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #2 of 5

Quote:
I've had my K240 for a few months and I'm loving it. But I was curious as to whether or not an amp would be useful with it, as it does seem a bit quiet at times. I've never owned or used a headphone amp before, so I'm not sure if it's an absolute necessity with mine, I'd love to get some guidance on this. Thanks for any feedback.

What source(s) are you plugging the headphones into now?

Apr 27, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #4 of 5
I don't know if this was ever answered. But with my K240, I've always been fine with them out of anything, save for my receiver's headphone jack. However, when I got the Asgard, the only real differences I noticed was that the bass seemed to tighten up a little bit more. Otherwise, the headphone wasn't really much different that out of my computer. Yes, they are a little quiet out of iPods and computers and such, because of their sensitivity, but I've never had a problem getting enough volume. If you're worried, you could get a cheap Fiio E5 and then you'll have plenty of volume.

Jun 20, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #5 of 5
Apologies for the thread resurrection, but...

I would definitely advise getting an amp for the K240 Studio.  You're going to get more detail and an overall richer/fuller sound.  An iPod (or in my case a Zune 30) will drive the K240 Studio okay, but I think you'll enjoy it more when it's driven by an amp.

However, I would NOT use a Fiio E5.  In my opinion, the E5 robs my music of a fair amount of detail and clarity - which is why its been gathering dust in my drawer for a number of years.  If you're at all electronically inclined, you might want to build a CMoy or other mint tin amp (Pimeta, etc.).  I use a hand built amp myself and it does wonders.  If you want to buy a nice headphone amp, that would be great too.  It all depends on the girth of your wallet.

FYI, I'm not speaking as one of those people who needs an insane amount of decibels as I tend to have fairly sensitive hearing for someone my age.  In fact, I generally listen at lower volumes than almost everyone I know.  My main I'm suggesting the amp is not for higher volume (though it will certainly do that) but for audio "enrichment".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back