Amp for SR-009 that can drive also other headphones?
Nov 15, 2012 at 4:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

MetalElvis

100+ Head-Fier
Is there an amp for Stax SR-009 that can drive also other headphones like TH-900, HD 800, LCD-2, HE-500...?

Seems a bit crazy to buy a 5000$ headphone amp for only one headphones.

Nov 15, 2012 at 8:12 AM Post #2 of 27
Electrostats like SR-009 needs totally different amplifiers and won't be compatible with those dynamics you mentioned.

The closest solution I can think of is to get a really powerful standard headphone amp and using something like a WEE transformer to drive the electrostats as well.

Nov 17, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #8 of 27
I second the opinion on getting a Woo Audio WEE. I think it's a great idea. I am in the process of ordering one from my dealer so that I can try pairing it with my Cary SLi-80. If it's a good match, I'll have the Cary running triple duty, driving speakers, driving electrostats through the WEE and driving my dynamic cans througgh it's headphone out. I might add that the headphone out on the SLI-80 sounds absolutely awesome to me and it was the reason I bought it in the first place. I ahven't really got the room or the time toi get back into speakers.

Nov 18, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #10 of 27
That WEE looks interesting! Thanks for the tip!

But now I´m wondering if I would get a Woo Audio WES for example, would there be similar converters to drive dynamic headphones with the WES?

Nov 18, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #12 of 27
OP, what you want doesn't exist.  If you want stats, you need a stat amp, the cost of which will be significant if you want to do it right.

And for your dynamics, you need a dynamic amp.

These are the realities of owning both types of rigs.  It doesn't make economic sense for everyone.

Nov 18, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #15 of 27
Malvalve max output for electrostatic is only 800Vp-p and for dynamic is only 12W into 8ohms per channel balanced. These seem like major compromises on both sides, and it still costs north of $5500. Combining electrostatic amp and dynamic amp with both of them sounding great is not *impossible.* You just have to convince Justin to stuff BHSE and GSX into one box.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back