Amp for Aviators
Aug 1, 2013 at 9:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

eabraham4288

New Head-Fier
New here, I recently picked up a pair of SkullCandy Aviators (I'm familiar with the debate; they were on sale for 60 bucks) and was wondering if it would be worth throwing a portable amp, like a e11 or e17, in front of them.  Will use them with an Ipod classic exclusively.  I listen to a little bit of everything except classical.  Wanted to know what kind of benefit it will give, or if it would make a noticeable difference at all as far as volume and/or sound quality. 

Aug 2, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #2 of 5
Quote:
New here, I recently picked up a pair of SkullCandy Aviators (I'm familiar with the debate; they were on sale for 60 bucks) and was wondering if it would be worth throwing a portable amp, like a e11 or e17, in front of them.  Will use them with an Ipod classic exclusively.  I listen to a little bit of everything except classical.  Wanted to know what kind of benefit it will give, or if it would make a noticeable difference at all as far as volume and/or sound quality. 

There is no need for an amp for them

They are headphones made not to need an amp.

Aug 2, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #4 of 5
They're not bad, probably would have went with something else had they not been on sale.  The bass can break up a bit, but I'm not sure if that has something to do with the fact that i'm running a ipod straight in, or if it's the cans.  Decent seperation on the mids and highs, and remain pretty clear. Noise Cancellation lacking as well, but I usually listen to music in a more quiet room anyway,  Overall I'd buy them again being on sale, or if not I was thinking Sennheiser hd 558.  I wear them around, and though fashion isn't really a concern, I do enjoy the fact that they are more pleasing to the eye then most.  Also considering replacing my mp3's (320kbps) with FLAC or ALAC files, though I don't think that's really the problem.  Really just looking to get the best sound for my ipod, and maybe move into something that can play flac on with a decent dac, or could be hooked up to one.

Aug 5, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #5 of 5
There is the thing, if you do plan on getting better headphones later, getting an amp now might not seems so bad.  There are a lot of $100-ish amp that sounds good if you shop around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back