Amp choices for Stax Omega II
Feb 12, 2007 at 12:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 93

Downrange

100+ Head-Fier
I would like to hear from those who've ever owned, and/or still own, the OIIs regarding their experience with amplification. I've done a pretty exhaustive search here, and found a lot of material, but remain uncertain how best to power these (within budget and reason.)
If possible, please post back here about:

1. Amplifier choice and reasoning: (e.g., chose the Stax XXX because it was paired with it from dealer and a good deal, or chose KGSS because I liked that sound better, etc.)

2. Whether this worked out for you as you expected with the type of material you listen to: (some people say the OIIs are "dark" and need SS electronics to "liven them up." Others love tube amps with them. Some seem to dislike all the Stax amps currently made; others seem to find them fine. I've even read that Stax work best with other company's amps, like the Senns.)

3. Whether you still own the OIIs, if not, why not, and any changes you've made regarding amplification.

While I'm personally interested in mid-price amps (think Stax 7T or 727 and KGSS/McCallister), I'd enjoy reading about those esoteric heights some have scaled with KGBH, etc., as well). Any input will be appreciated!

Feb 12, 2007 at 7:41 PM Post #2 of 93
I have had the OIIs for a while. I bought the mcAlister and I am very happy with it. I also own a 006T which also drives the OIIs very well.

I have heard all the major amps(KGSS, Blue Hawaii, 007T) and the only one I would consider a real upgrade is the Singlepower ES-1, which is the best sounding electrostatic amp I have ever heard. That includes the Orpheus amp. The ES-1 is not a mid priced amp, but it doesn't perform like one either.

Feb 12, 2007 at 10:18 PM Post #3 of 93
Thanks, Dave1. I was on the McAllister page just today and noted they have announced "no more orders accepted" until later in the month, at which time they are hiking the price more than 25 per cent...
confused.gif
mad.gif
my luck...

Feb 12, 2007 at 10:38 PM Post #4 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by Downrange /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, Dave1. I was on the McAllister page just today and noted they have announced "no more orders accepted" until later in the month, at which time they are hiking the price more than 25 per cent...
confused.gif
mad.gif
my luck...

The way Peter was running the shop beforehand wasn't really realisitic in the long term, so that's to be expected.

Omega IIs need a lot of juice, so you may well be better served with a transformer box than one of the cheaper electrostatic amps.

Feb 12, 2007 at 10:42 PM Post #5 of 93
I found the KGSS to be a huge upgrade over the SRM-717 and the Blue Hawaii to be a minor upgrade over the KGSS. I personally prefer the SRM-717 to the SRM-007t (even with "better" tubes) and the SRM-T1. I have never heard the SRM-T2, though it is extremely rare and supposedly what inspired Kevin Gilmore to design the Blue Hawaii. I thought the McAlister electrostatic amp sounded quite good with the OII at the National meet but I spent too little time with that particular combination (its price at that time was unbelievable). I happen to also enjoy the HEV90 Orpheus amp with the OII but the Blue Hawaii and KGSS just sounds so much more authoritative and emotional – the OII just sounds too dark to me with any other amps but Kevin's. I've heard the ES-1 with the OII on several occasions but I was not super-impressed (though I did enjoy the sound), possibly because the ES-1 was tuned and tubed for the HE90 and also because I just prefer the HE90 so much that having it in the same room diminishes the OII's "light."
orphsmile.gif
I will say that the ES-1 and HE90 are amazing, particularly in the aspects of resolution and soundstage, but the HEV90 is just so smoooooth – for the HE90 the decision is difficult but Neilvg’s upcoming ES-1 SUPER-DELUXE may sway me over once and for all; since this is not an HE90 discussion I will digress. Please take my comments with an extra helping of salt because I am not and have never been a big OII fan. For my money the KGSS and OII present an amazing value and this would be my choice (I do prefer the Blue Hawaii but its improvements are not worth the extra cost – and extra heat – for me).

Feb 13, 2007 at 1:17 AM Post #6 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The way Peter was running the shop beforehand wasn't really realisitic in the long term, so that's to be expected.

Omega IIs need a lot of juice, so you may well be better served with a transformer box than one of the cheaper electrostatic amps.

Thanks, Carl, for the info. Yes, McCallister certainly seemed to be the "flyer" in the pattern - just too cheap to be true! I guess I'm a few weeks late to that dance, but other good choices remain.

I've followed the discussions about transformers and Stax on the other forum, and may eventually dabble into that. I've got an old Perreaux PMF-3150 that still works (that I used on the bass panels of a bi-amped MGIIIa setup for some years), and some other junk laying around that could be pressed into service...

For now, I'm leaning very strongly to having HeadAmp build me a KGSS for the O2s.
lambda.gif

Feb 13, 2007 at 1:20 AM Post #7 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilPeart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found the KGSS to be a huge upgrade over the SRM-717 and the Blue Hawaii to be a minor upgrade over the KGSS. I personally prefer the SRM-717 to the SRM-007t (even with "better" tubes) and the SRM-T1. I have never heard the SRM-T2, though it is extremely rare and supposedly what inspired Kevin Gilmore to design the Blue Hawaii. I thought the McAlister electrostatic amp sounded quite good with the OII at the National meet but I spent too little time with that particular combination (its price at that time was unbelievable). I happen to also enjoy the HEV90 Orpheus amp with the OII but the Blue Hawaii and KGSS just sounds so much more authoritative and emotional – the OII just sounds too dark to me with any other amps but Kevin's. I've heard the ES-1 with the OII on several occasions but I was not super-impressed (though I did enjoy the sound), possibly because the ES-1 was tuned and tubed for the HE90 and also because I just prefer the HE90 so much that having it in the same room diminishes the OII's "light."
orphsmile.gif
I will say that the ES-1 and HE90 are amazing, particularly in the aspects of resolution and soundstage, but the HEV90 is just so smoooooth – for the HE90 the decision is difficult but Neilvg’s upcoming ES-1 SUPER-DELUXE may sway me over once and for all; since this is not an HE90 discussion I will digress. Please take my comments with an extra helping of salt because I am not and have never been a big OII fan. For my money the KGSS and OII present an amazing value and this would be my choice (I do prefer the Blue Hawaii but its improvements are not worth the extra cost – and extra heat – for me).

Neil, thanks so much for the remarks, which I will take as encouragement, as I'm leaning VERY strongly toward the KGSS to pair with the O2s.
lambda.gif

Feb 13, 2007 at 1:43 AM Post #8 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by Downrange /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've followed the discussions about transformers and Stax on the other forum, and may eventually dabble into that. I've got an old Perreaux PMF-3150 that still works (that I used on the bass panels of a bi-amped MGIIIa setup for some years), and some other junk laying around that could be pressed into service...

I bet a Perreaux would go lovely with an Omega II. But of course I would say that.
biggrin.gif

Feb 13, 2007 at 1:49 AM Post #9 of 93
I have heard the Omega II with the McAlister, the 006t, 007t, and ES-1. I haven't heard the KGSS.

The ES-1 is magical, the Stax amps pretty good, the McAlister not good at all (but, in all fairness, it may have had some issues that have subsequently been resolved).

Wait for an ES-1 to come up F/S. Patience is a virtue.

Feb 13, 2007 at 1:54 AM Post #10 of 93
use tesla el-34s!!! they simply whip the stock tubes ass for es-1

Feb 13, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #11 of 93
IFFFFF the McAlister ever makes it back as a working unit (allegedly any day now), we'll see if it performs well enough to even be compared to the Blue Hawaii.

Feb 16, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #12 of 93
In the end, I got a decent price on a U.S. model SRM-007TII, and decided to order this for now, and probably try to pick up an SRD-7 to run the Perreaux, (or possibly even my modified Dynaco ST-70) for now. Reasons: KGSS seems too pricey from HeadAmp for what it is - not everyone likes the tone, and I don't want to bother with building one myself; the new SRM-007T2 supposedly has a few improvements (some circuit changes for improved bass response, according to Tats at Yamas, also now has pure DC on filaments, better relay switching for improved isolation) that should make it better with the OIIs, and probably has a decent resale value. The two-year U.S. warranty doesn't hurt the decision process.
I may eventually go more upscale (but ES-1 is a bit out of my price range), or just play with a transformer and other amps. The Perreaux should be interesting, as it has incredible headroom, and doesn't sound that bad. Niow where to get a SRD-7?
Anyway, decision made, and thanks to all for the input. Now the waiting begins.
lambda.gif

Feb 16, 2007 at 2:54 AM Post #13 of 93
I had the O2's with the 007t and it wasn't a good combination. Not at all. I didn't finish the CD it sounded so muddled.

I tried the O2's with the Aristaeus and they shined. The O2's are capable of vastly better performance than the 007t is capable of delivering.

Mitch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back