Amp Advice Por Favor...Meier, Eddie Current, Bada, Darkvoice?
Nov 9, 2007 at 10:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

joeq70

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi all. I've been desperately trying to find the right amp for the Denon D2000. I've enjoyed it so far, but I know that my computer's integrated soundcard isn't cutting it. I know source is also important, and I plan on getting a Music Hall CD25.2. So anyway, my question concerns amps. I've been looking for the best amp that can be had for under $450. I'm looking for something with great synergy with the Denon D2000/5000.

I noticed that many people say the Eddie Current EC/SS is a solid amp, but I have no intention of purchasing a Grado in the future. I may check out the Beyer 880 or Senn 600, or perhaps a vintage AKG in the future, so having an amp that will sound good with different phones would be a plus.

The Meier Arietta looks good too, but it is considered entry level, and I wonder if I'll be able to get something better in my price range. I've also looked into the Bada PH12, and it looks solid, but I get the impression that the Denon isn't the ideal headphone for it because it uses tubes (tho it is a hybrid). Then there is the Darkvoice 332, which seems to get positive marks, but again, it is a tube amp, and I wonder if I should stick to solid state.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Nov 10, 2007 at 9:39 AM Post #2 of 6
If I have read some threads correctly, the DV336 may need some modification to run low impedance headphones correctly, you shold check and see if they fixed this in the 332 model, as the denons are 40 ohms right?

Nov 10, 2007 at 11:47 AM Post #4 of 6
I was just chatting to Cattylink, one of the many Hong Kong dealers. He was saying that Bada is looking into the mosfet blowing problem. So i would not recommend buying the bada for now cause its like REALLY sensitive. I'm probably going for the Doge amp if that helps. I'm using AKG k701s.

Nov 10, 2007 at 3:47 PM Post #5 of 6
Meier amps are very well made and sound fantastic. Another option you might consider is the PinkFloyd Modded X-Can V3 on the for sale forum.

Although IMO your best bet would be to go to a Meet and try various amps w/ your cans. Take along music you know well so you can better judge the units you listen, and make sure your cans are fully burnt in. Best of luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back