Amazing guitar performances
Aug 7, 2001 at 1:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

Brian

New Head-Fier
Hey,

Just wondering if you guys can recommend any really good and well recorded guitar performances on CD.
Here's a few that blew me away:

Guitar Trio - Friday Night in San Francisco
eek.gif

Many Steve Vai songs
Stevie Ray Vaughan - In the Beginning
Many Al Di Meola songs
Most live Jimi Hendrix
Led Zeppelin - BBC Sessions
Any of Steve Howe's classical stuff
Phish - A Live One

These are just a few, do you guys have any more?
eek.gif

Aug 7, 2001 at 2:39 AM Post #2 of 36
If you are referring to acoustic guitar and classical music I can recommend some Naxos CDs - the one with Concierto de Aranjuez and the other with Cavatina (which is a compilation).

Aug 7, 2001 at 2:45 AM Post #3 of 36
Hi,

Aos: What is naxos? I've seen it appear in a few other threads but have no clue what it stands for.
I would recommend Chris Spheeris. He's music is very relaxing and nice guitar work

J

Aug 7, 2001 at 4:03 AM Post #5 of 36
NAXOS is a (classical music) recording label, featuring mostly less-known artists, and their CDs are very reasonably priced. You should be able to find them in any classical music store, and because of price even in stores where classical is just there to fill a few shelves in shady corners.

Aug 8, 2001 at 4:14 PM Post #7 of 36
Joe Satriani: Surfing, Extremist, Crystal Planet, Engines Of Creation, etc, etc....

Aug 9, 2001 at 4:40 PM Post #9 of 36
I think reasonably priced is an understatement when referring to NAXOS CDs, most cost $5.99 and I think you can get them off their website for $4.99. They have a few at Barnes and Noble. I have a couple of their CDs, totally worth the money. Their website is really cool too. I think its www.naxos.com, but not sure off the top of my head. They use mostly lesser known European orchestras and performers, but that's not to say their talent is any less, it just saves on the union costs of trying to record a popular US symphony orchestra.

Aug 9, 2001 at 4:56 PM Post #10 of 36
Another Michael Hedges recommendation, Arial Boundaries

Aug 9, 2001 at 9:33 PM Post #11 of 36
DI MEOLA,AL/JOHN MCLAUGHLIN/PACO DE LUCIA : Friday Night In San Francisco

This is really well recorded if you ask me. Not only is it a really well recorded live performance, but these three guys know what time it is.

EDIT: and of course you mentioned it in your first post - sigh, sorry.
frown.gif

Aug 9, 2001 at 10:23 PM Post #12 of 36
If you like an acoustic guitar sound try Nick Drake "Pink Moon". Look for the remastered version.

Drake was only getting started when we lost him, but he is known for producing a very original guitar sound with classical overtones that can only be described as "haunting".

Modern guitarists still can't figure out the bizarre tunings he used to obtain his signature sound. Imagine Robert Johnson reincarnated as an upper-middle class, Oxford-educated white Englishman.

markl

Aug 10, 2001 at 2:04 AM Post #13 of 36
I vote Jeff Beck, Goin' Down is a treat from the oranges album. Wired and Who Else with Jennifer Batten.

John McLaughlin as many good albums as J Beck, I like Promises, but not everyone else does. His Shakti albums are good too.

Allan Holdsworth is usually God, but I've got him in third place, what a nice God he is, letting others sit first chair!

Eric Johnson - EVERYTHING I've heard

Frank Zappa - Apostrophe

Gary Moore - Still Got THe Blues

CoCo Montoya - Suspicion

Ronnie Earl - Blues and Ballads

Andy Summers - Last Dance of Mr. X

Bill Frisell - Gone Just Like A Train

Pat Metheny - Imaginary Day

Robben Ford - Talk To Your Daughter

Aug 10, 2001 at 5:07 AM Post #15 of 36
Ok. Unlike my last post here, these are some suggestions that haven't already been suggested!

Pat Metheny: Bright Size Life
This is one of my favorite songs of all time, it's the first song on the album "Bright Size Life". This recording has nothing but legends on it. The late Jaco Pastorious, legendary Bob Moses, and of course Pat.

Pat Metheny Trio: Trio 99/00
Pat Metheny Trio: Live
Both of these are great, lots of hip stuff. This is probably the best stuff Pat Metheny has put out in a while. Bill Stewart on drums, and Larry Grenadier on bass.

Charlie Hunter: Natty Dread
This is ofcourse a remake of a Bob Marley album. It's very good, a bit on the New Orleans side, lots of good shuffles. I'm not positive of who is playing on it, even though I'm listening to it right now, but they're good.

Charlie Hunter: Duo
Leon Parker on drums and Charlir Hunter on guitar. This is absolutely fantastic.
For those of you who don't know who Charlie Hunter is, then it may seem odd than an album only has guitar and bass on it. Well, one of the things that seperates Charlie Hunter from the likes of Trey Anastasio is that Charlie Hunter knows how to walk a bass line, comp, and solo. All at the same time. Just go and buy this one and you will see what I'm talking about. He's on it.

Stanley Jordan: Cornucopia
This man is a fiend. I think I've said it before, but I'll say it again, this guy is probably one of the greatest and most talented guitar players that I've ever heard. The only problem is that he sometimes is just trying to show off. He is also one of the people who can walk a bass line, comp, and solo all at the same time. He's really quite good, and this CD is one of my favorites. Jeff "Tain" Watts is playing drums, and of course Stanley Jordan is playing something crazy. I forget who else is on this one.

I'll check back in if any others come to mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back