ALO HFI-780: My thoughts
Apr 15, 2008 at 10:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

number1sixerfan

Headphoneus Supremus
First, I have to mention that I have just shipped these phones off and no longer have them anymore. I started not to post anything on them, but I think it is necessary because there is a lot of hype surrounding them. So I am typing this from memory(2 days) but I have a really good grip on them as I tested them for hours for three days.

1. Not a Formal Review, Just My Thoughts
2. This is only concerning the ALO HFI-780J w/18g Jena Cable

Build Quality
The ALO cable is downright astonishing to look at and I will be the first to suggest that this alone may cause you to enjoy the sound even more. Some type of placebo if you will. The actual headphone looks a little cheaper than the cable and rightfully so at it's $249 price tag. The comfort is not great, but not bad either as it slightly clamps your head. The biggest improvement here would probably be the headband as it is rather hard and slightly uncomfortable.

Sound
My initial thought was that these sound very close to the grado house sound. The sound is forward and punchy, with the same brightness that can be shrill and harsh on the wrong recordings. The sound is very involving just like the rs-1's but lack some of the midrange warmth and coloration in comparison. This may be a good or bad thing as those who are impartial to brighter cans may want to aproach them with caution. I like brighter and darker cans alike and had problems with the ultrasone's brightness only on few tracks.

Additionally, the sound is rather closed in like grados in comparison to my other cans the W5000 and the HD650. The soundstage is nearly chopped in half in comparison to the AT's and is noticeably smaller than on the hd650's. This in turn makes it harder to make out instrument separation in comparison to the other two cans. Consequently detail resolution is more pronouced with the W5000 and HD650. In this regard, the two other cans seem more technically competent and refined. However, in its own merit this is not as large a drawback as one might think because this "congestion" is part of what makes them so involving(just like with grados).

The ALO HFI-780Js, as they are being called, are easily one of the most "fun" cans I have heard. In regards to PRAT they surprisingly compete with the AT's and are a notch above the Senns. They are rather speedy with less decay than the hd650 and similar to the W5000.

Conclusion
I wanted to keep this short as these are just impressions. The only reason I am posting this is because it was hard for me to make a decision because it's hard to figure out what is simply a FOTM can and what actually is a great new headphone.

So...are they worth the hype? I'd say that it depends. It depends on what you need them for and what you are comparing them too. If you are looking for a closed can they are definitely worth the hype. This is because there are very, very few cans that are truly closed that come extremely close to the performance of a good open can. I think it is very amazing to have the option to have the performance of the ALO HFI-780's in an environment where a closed can is needed.

If you are comparing them to any can and closed vs. open is a moot point then I do not think they are worth the price unless bought used. This is because there are various options that are overall technically more capable in the same price range as the modified ultrasones. In my opinion, the RS-1's have a bit more midrange magic(warmth), the Senns more balance, the W5000 more refinement/openness, the HD650 more balance and the list continues. I'd choose all of these before the ultrasones if open vs. closed wasn't an argument in their price range. In their own merit they are very, very enjoyable and amazing for a closed can. I only parted with them in order to grab a pair of phones that are out of production. I plan to give the edition 9 a go as I did enjoy the HFI-780. They just aren't really a match for my other cans in regards to refinement.

I know some may not agree with my statements as there is a ton of hype surrounding these, but I am giving my honest opinion in order to help people figure out where in the food chain the HFI-780 may stand.

Honest feedback welcome.

Apr 15, 2008 at 10:40 PM Post #2 of 28
Great review. Those are my thoughts exactly on my S2 Audio HFI-780's which I had to regrettably sell
frown.gif
. The only problem I have with these is that they make me sweat and sticky in a matter of minutes!

Apr 15, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #3 of 28
Very fair set of impressions I have to say. I am glad you provided them for us.

Apr 15, 2008 at 11:56 PM Post #4 of 28
Thanks for the comments.

Apr 16, 2008 at 2:45 AM Post #5 of 28
Definitely interesting to hear your comparisons, thanks. Although... I've been debating between HFI-780s with various cables and the ESW9s for the past couple weeks, and it seems like I'm getting nowhere
biggrin.gif

Apr 16, 2008 at 7:51 AM Post #6 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great review. Those are my thoughts exactly on my S2 Audio HFI-780's which I had to regrettably sell
frown.gif
. The only problem I have with these is that they make me sweat and sticky in a matter of minutes!

This sweaty/sticky issue is one that I'm very afraid of. I'm thinking of getting these HPs because I want good HPs to for both in public (on planes) and in the office. So that I (think I) need closed cans because I'm going to use in office and on planes, and I need a set that's great with my ipod- I've just led myself to these- BUT, squishy sweaty head is a very bad thing, so do you have any advise? For what it's worth, these are really more money than I want to spend, but I'm a sucker, maybe you can talk me down. I'm not a pro, I just really like music, and I just really like blocking out the sound of the plane engines and, er.... these are good looking phones. I like the grado look too but I gather they're really leaky.

Also- the D2000's are on sale (as I'm sure you know) and are cheaper than the Ultrasone hfi780s, but is my need for a ipod compatible HP point towards the Hfi-780s?

Apr 16, 2008 at 12:03 PM Post #7 of 28
I was thinking of getting a set myself, second hand from someone on here. Just for fun I plugged my UE5's into my amp to listen, and realised why a more closed sound could be fun sometimes. The idea of a portable set of full-sized, high fidelity cans is very appealing. Thanks for the interesting impressions.

Apr 16, 2008 at 12:18 PM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by seanfancy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This sweaty/sticky issue is one that I'm very afraid of. I'm thinking of getting these HPs because I want good HPs to for both in public (on planes) and in the office. So that I (think I) need closed cans because I'm going to use in office and on planes, and I need a set that's great with my ipod- I've just led myself to these- BUT, squishy sweaty head is a very bad thing, so do you have any advise? For what it's worth, these are really more money than I want to spend, but I'm a sucker, maybe you can talk me down. I'm not a pro, I just really like music, and I just really like blocking out the sound of the plane engines and, er.... these are good looking phones. I like the grado look too but I gather they're really leaky.

Also- the D2000's are on sale (as I'm sure you know) and are cheaper than the Ultrasone hfi780s, but is my need for a ipod compatible HP point towards the Hfi-780s?

I wore then various times for longer than two hours and the pads did indeed get a little sweaty but for me it wasn't much at all. However, I do not sweat much at all.

As for the Denons, I had the D5000 and they really are not a truly closed can. They leak less than an open can but the isolation is no where near as good with the Ultrasones.

Apr 16, 2008 at 2:29 PM Post #9 of 28
Thanks for your review. I've been using the ALO 780's for a bit over a month now (maybe 2?), and ALO K701's for several weeks. I like having both phones available, since sometimes I need the isolation the 780's provide (and the additional bass on certain pop recordings); however, if I had to pick one phone to have, it would be the 701's, as they are overall less colored, and more comfortable for long-term wear.

Apr 16, 2008 at 7:31 PM Post #10 of 28
Well, I just received my pair of ALO-780J's(Thank you, number1sixerfan!) and I already enjoy them more than my Grado SR225. They are more comfortable to start with, and I was surprised at how much they sound like an open can! Doing an AB comparison with my Grado's, the 780's sound close to the airy-ness of the Grado's. I was thinking I may not like the S-Logic sound, but I guess I am now a fan. It's a little too early to tell, but I may be selling my Grado's soon.
biggrin.gif

Apr 16, 2008 at 10:12 PM Post #11 of 28
My old ALO780V's I just had to sell. They sounded terrific, no doubt. Only problem with the sound was sibilance/harshness at very high volumes, which probably could've been fixed by getting a tube amp. However, the biggest problem was the comfort. As Souperman said, they get very hot and are just uncomfortable in general. I just couldn't enjoy the sound with the discomfort
frown.gif

My D2000, on the other hand...
comfort's a dream. Sounds very different from the HFI-780, but still in the same tier.

Apr 17, 2008 at 1:06 AM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by uds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I just received my pair of ALO-780J's(Thank you, number1sixerfan!) and I already enjoy them more than my Grado SR225. They are more comfortable to start with, and I was surprised at how much they sound like an open can! Doing an AB comparison with my Grado's, the 780's sound close to the airy-ness of the Grado's. I was thinking I may not like the S-Logic sound, but I guess I am now a fan. It's a little too early to tell, but I may be selling my Grado's soon.
biggrin.gif

I am glad you enjoy them. I hope I have made you feel comfortable going with used cans from the FS forum. Enjoy!

Apr 17, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
frown.gif

the s^2 audio recable is only $85 + shipping right? and you say that are comparable to the alo mod costing $580? Is this right?

Apr 17, 2008 at 4:48 AM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by acegazda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the s^2 audio recable is only $85 + shipping right? and you say that are comparable to the alo mod costing $580? Is this right?

No, the ALO vampire wire modded ones ($450) are smoother by a small than the S2 ones, from Skylabs review, and the Jenna Labs ($580 est) ones are audibly better to my ears than the Vampire wire ones.

Therefore the $580 ALO ones should be audibly better than the S2 ones, but they both help the problems with the highs and sibilance. Also, I think it is closer to $115-130 or something when you have the internal wiring replaced by S2, and not just the main cable into the left ear-cup. Still a bargain if all you want to do is get rids of the problems with the highs.

To me, the more you spend, the more transparent the 780's are to my ears, but I probably would have been happy with ANY re-cable vs the stock 780. So, get the one you can afford and enjoy them.

Apr 17, 2008 at 6:57 AM Post #15 of 28
I have both S2 and Vampire and the Vampire is more detailed and clearer on the top end. compared to the S2 that is and compared to stock both are much much better. I would say any recable is a good idea and the quality of cable just makes for more details and better sound.

The Vampire is noticeably better but the S2 is very, very enoyable as it is so smooth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back