Alessandro Music Series MS1 FAN CLUB!
Jul 15, 2014 at 5:40 AM Post #2,986 of 3,117
I assume but do not know that the pre 2009 MS1s are literally that, NOS MS1s made before 2009. You should end up with small cup and silver drivers. If you get red drivers that means that Alessandro still has NOS pre 2009 cups and wiring not entire headphones. Sometimes I think the small cups would be more convenient to use say while leaning into a pillow (I am already wearing the silver lettering off of my left cup from this).

Jul 15, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #2,988 of 3,117
Both the Alessandro MS1 original and 2009 versions come with the "e" series drivers. I received my Alessandro MS1 original version with the red "e" series drivers today direct from Alessandro. I prefer the smaller housing that comes with the original version as it is lighter and more compact even though the 2009 version is more popular. Sounds better than my Grado SR60 and Grado SR80i headphones. More bass, less amplification required, highs nice and crispy, vocals/drums/acoustic instruments upfront and intimate.

Jul 15, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #2,989 of 3,117
  Both the Alessandro MS1 original and 2009 versions come with the "e" series drivers. I received my Alessandro MS1 original version with the red "e" series drivers today direct from Alessandro. I prefer the smaller housing that comes with the original version as it is lighter and more compact even though the 2009 version is more popular. Sounds better than my Grado SR60 and Grado SR80i headphones. More bass, less amplification required, highs nice and crispy, vocals/drums/acoustic instruments upfront and intimate.

That's cool! I'd love to see a picture!  What type of box did they come in? the older rectagular 'pizza box', or the newer square one?

Jul 15, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #2,991 of 3,117
Thanks for that.

I must admit I'm a bit surprised they are selling the old pre-i series earcups with the new e series drivers! That's a pretty cool hybrid of the latest technology and the last-but-one iteration.

Jul 15, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #2,992 of 3,117
Here is a picture of the box:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lijki6fx3h3ify5/Alessandro%20MS1%20Original%20e%20Series%20Box.jpg

On the bottom side of the box (above the text on the right image) it has MINI PLUG and MUSIC SERIES ONE boxes marked, the other unmarked box to the right of it being being MUSIC SERIES TWO.

Jul 15, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #2,993 of 3,117

Yeah, so the original version in a slim body! I also like this more. 
But when you ordered Alessandro, you specifically requested to send the new version of E, or they already have all the products is fully updated? I just forgot to specify when ordering it.

Jul 15, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #2,994 of 3,117
Yeah, so the original version in a slim body! I also like this more. 

But when you ordered Alessandro, you specifically requested to send the new version of E, or they already have all the products is fully updated? I just forgot to specify when ordering it.

I emailed Alessandro before ordering to check whether the original version has the "e" series drivers or not. They responded with:
All of the models include the "e" series drivers.

So it looks like all the current ones they are shipping out have the new "e" series drivers including the MS1 original version.

Jul 16, 2014 at 2:16 AM Post #2,995 of 3,117
Ok, thanks for the replies, looking forward to their MS1.
L3000.gif

Jul 28, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #2,997 of 3,117
This weekend I opened my MS1s and did the hole poke mod and put 2 layers of GTmat Onyx on the back of the drivers and inside of the outer cup. I put one layer of the GTmat Onyx inside the inner cup. I poked 4 holes in the felt, put them back together and I thought the bass might be a little loose. I looked at the pics of someone's SR60 mods and saw that the felt covered all holes but on my MS1s the felt left 2 holes open. I then opened the MS1s back up and put a some craft store self adhesive felt over two of the holes I poked so that now the phones have 4 holes total uncovered. They sound fine I can get the drivers to bottom out on some stuff but to be honest I'm not sure that they wouldn't have before as I changed my rig a little too (new cell phone). I wonder if the two open holes from the factory is what is different on the Alessandros or what is different about the e series in whole or in part (no pun intended lol). I also noticed that the two halves of the phones do not have any other stop than the cable getting pinched. Mine were a little angled (pushed together crooked) from the factory and when I reassembled them both times I (not intentionally) pushed them together slightly shallower (pushed in farther) than originally. As they are open back and deeper than pre 2009 MS1s I assume this makes little to no sound difference and couldn't tell if it did anyway.

Aug 7, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #2,999 of 3,117
  This weekend I opened my MS1s and did the hole poke mod and put 2 layers of GTmat Onyx on the back of the drivers and inside of the outer cup. I put one layer of the GTmat Onyx inside the inner cup. I poked 4 holes in the felt, put them back together and I thought the bass might be a little loose. I looked at the pics of someone's SR60 mods and saw that the felt covered all holes but on my MS1s the felt left 2 holes open. I then opened the MS1s back up and put a some craft store self adhesive felt over two of the holes I poked so that now the phones have 4 holes total uncovered. They sound fine I can get the drivers to bottom out on some stuff but to be honest I'm not sure that they wouldn't have before as I changed my rig a little too (new cell phone). I wonder if the two open holes from the factory is what is different on the Alessandros or what is different about the e series in whole or in part (no pun intended lol). I also noticed that the two halves of the phones do not have any other stop than the cable getting pinched. Mine were a little angled (pushed together crooked) from the factory and when I reassembled them both times I (not intentionally) pushed them together slightly shallower (pushed in farther) than originally. As they are open back and deeper than pre 2009 MS1s I assume this makes little to no sound difference and couldn't tell if it did anyway.

This is interesting, your MS1 have 2 holes opened in the felt? My old MS1i didn't have any holes opened.
Does your MS1 have the new red drivers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back