Alessandro MS2i or MS Pro?
Apr 19, 2007 at 2:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Digitalbath3737

500+ Head-Fier
So after a few weeks of research I've decided that the Alessandro sound is what I may be looking for. Now the only question is do I buy the MS2i now or save up $400 more bucks for the Pros.

I currently have E500s which I'm loving. I play them straight out of my iPod's headphone jack and plan to do the same with the Alessandro. Is it even worth getting the Pros if I don't plan on using an amp?

Edit. I plan on using them in parks and while camping. Not while moving around or on public transportation. Just nice quiet places out doors. If you think the Alessandro's are bad unamped then please suggest me another open headphone that would sound good from the iPods headphone out.

Apr 19, 2007 at 3:02 PM Post #2 of 27
Didn't heard MS2i, but I do believe you will be fine with MS PRO, running out of your iP I mean. However benefits from portable amps can be very surprising, especially because iP don't have the best EQ settings.
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digitalbath3737 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So after a few weeks of research I've decided that the Alessandro sound is what I may be looking for. Now the only question is do I buy the MS2i now or save up $400 more bucks for the Pros.

I currently have E500s which I'm loving. I play them straight out of my iPod's headphone jack and plan to do the same with the Alessandro. Is it even worth getting the Pros if I don't plan on using an amp?

Apr 19, 2007 at 3:13 PM Post #3 of 27
I think the ansatz is that you should upgrade source/amp in order to hear the difference between these higher end phones. Check out the MS-1s first if you want to hear the Alessandro sound first, if you haven't heard any of em.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digitalbath3737 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Apr 19, 2007 at 4:07 PM Post #5 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Didn't heard MS2i, but I do believe you will be fine with MS PRO, running out of your iP I mean. However benefits from portable amps can be very surprising, especially because iP don't have the best EQ settings.
wink.gif

Amps are defiantly out of the question right now. I would never use an amp with my portable setup, just defeats the point of portably. Although I am considering making a home set up that would include an amp. That's not set in stone though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by unclejr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the ansatz is that you should upgrade source/amp in order to hear the difference between these higher end phones. Check out the MS-1s first if you want to hear the Alessandro sound first, if you haven't heard any of em.

Starting with MS1s would be a mistake. After experiencing the SQ of E500s lower end cans don't cut it for me. I tried SR60s and had no problem detecting the downgrade in SQ. So why waste my money on lower end cans?

Apr 19, 2007 at 4:46 PM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiWire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems like overkill without an amp to me... particularly if it's a mobile system. I wouldn't take cans that expensive or fragile on the street.

Do you think the MS2i are overkill or the MS Pros? Cause to be honest I'm leaning towards the MS2i for the same reasons I went with the E500s over the UE 10 pro. I don't want to pay a ton extra for that extra 5%.

Is the MS2i the sweet spot for price and SQ?

Apr 19, 2007 at 5:00 PM Post #8 of 27
I used to have the MS2 and can easily say they're great, but not as much when unamped out of the IPod. It's a night-and-day difference to have these amped so I would strongly disagree with the idea of running them straight out of IPod, it's just not worth it. Plus, Grado/Alessandro need LOTS of current to be driven properly so you'll want a fairly powerful amp making them by nature not extremely portable. Maybe the new Millet Hybrid portable will do them justice though
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 19, 2007 at 5:24 PM Post #11 of 27
Why the aversion to a portable amp? They can be quite small and take up little space, not to mention they improve the sound drastically from the headphone out of an iPod. I don't see why you would consider the MS-2 for portable use, but not an amp. You don't mind porting seven feet of rather thick cable plus an adaptor, but a compact Hornet or Go-Vibe is out of the question? Using open cans for a portable rig is madness anyway.

Really, spending $700 for MS-Pros and then running them out of an iPod would be a waste, probably with the MS-2, as well. If you like your E500s, buy a small amp (such as a Tomahawk) and a nice line-out dock. It will end up being much more portable than, and will sound much better than an unamped MS-2.

Apr 19, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #12 of 27
alessandro's are not best choice for portable music, they are just too.... open.
for the noisy environment outside, I personally recommend IEMs, they work way better in street.

however if you want enjoy music at home, a pair of nice can will be must.

i'm an owner of e500 and ms-pro, I use e500s with my mp3 player and ms-pros at home
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 19, 2007 at 5:37 PM Post #14 of 27
In the first place...Open headphones for portable use? I hope you're not commuting via buses or subway.

Secondly, the MS-2's weight would already rule it out for portable use.
MS-Pro? Hmm.... Lug a $1000 cans around, where it can be damaged easily?
Ya...think you shld just stick to IEMs.

Apr 19, 2007 at 5:45 PM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicomte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why the aversion to a portable amp? They can be quite small and take up little space, not to mention they improve the sound drastically from the headphone out of an iPod. I don't see why you would consider the MS-2 for portable use, but not an amp. You don't mind porting seven feet of rather thick cable plus an adaptor, but a compact Hornet or Go-Vibe is out of the question? Using open cans for a portable rig is madness anyway.

Really, spending $700 for MS-Pros and then running them out of an iPod would be a waste, probably with the MS-2, as well. If you like your E500s, buy a small amp (such as a Tomahawk) and a nice line-out dock. It will end up being much more portable than, and will sound much better than an unamped MS-2.

I've messed around with amps and they do have a benefit, it's just not one that's big enough for me to be bothered with the extra weight and bulk. I plan on using the open headphone in parks and during camping. I'd like to be somewhat aware of my surroundings. Otherwise I'd just stick to my E500s.

But seriously I'm not looking for people to try and convince me to buy an amp. I'd just like to know if the ms2i or the ms pros would sound good out of an iPod headphone out. If you don't think so then please give me another recommendation for open headphones the I could use unamped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back