AL iM716 First Impressions, With Pics.
Jun 15, 2006 at 5:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

vYu223

500+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, my name is Vince and I would like to provide a little background of my headphone-listening experiences. I remember only using my bro's headphones (the ones that wrap around the back instead of the top of your head) when I was little, and also the earbuds that came with the cd player (sony) he passed onto me.

Then, when I finally got my own pair of headphones, my mom went out to some store and bought one for me (because my bro and sis had their own and I didn't). They were the same wrap-around-the-back-of-the-head style. The sound quality of it was a bit worse than the ones I used before (my bro's), but, surprisingly to me now, I didn't care at that time! I just used them.

Then I remember asking my parents for an iPod, but then my sister just got one (I think), so I had to do something by myself. I dug up the old Rio mp3 player that my sister had trouble getting to work, and got it to work (she had trouble using the realjukebox software or whatever it was. I just used the thing as a hard drive and dragged music files into it. Worked like a charm). I used the same pair of earbuds I used with the cd player (oh yea I forgot to mention that that cd player died - just stopped working, so that's why I was looking for an mp3 player). I used it with my The North Face jacket (with the clip on the cuffs, or whatever it's called), and successfully listened to music during class (by routing the wire through the sleeve and clipping the headphone into place on the cuff part.
icon10.gif
. Then the Rio mp3 player started dying. It sometimes just didn't turn on. Eventually it just stopped turning on. So I lived without portable music for a while.

Then, one day, my dad came back from a business trip to China, and, unexpectedly, he had a black box. It was an iPod. For me.

I thought that since the earbuds that came with the iPod have neodynium drivers, they are really good. I laugh at myself now.

I used to always go to the apple website and look around in the store. I thought that I'd have to spend a "steep" price of $40 for the Apple In-Ears and then I'd be set for life. Then I searched for "iPod" in Google, and iLounge.com was the first thing that came up. I read Jeremy Horowitz's (he's the guy that reviews most, if not all, of the products on that site) reviews for a very long time, and then found out about Head-fi when I was looking at the site that has instructions for building a Cmoy. I didn't really do much, and kept going to iLounge instead. I was really sure of buying the Etymotic ER-6i because of the reviews, and didn't really want to consider the iM716 because of the review it got (from Jeremy Horowitz). Then when I checked back to the page of the ER-6i's, I looked at the comments and one of them said something along the lines of, "Let's wait for a real audiophile to give us a review." Then I realized that Jeremy Horowitz, although a good reviewer, may not necessarily be an audiophile. Also, I realized that I shouldn't be getting all of my opinions about products from one person, especially from someone who may not necessarily be an audiophile. So I came back to head-fi looking for information. When I found out that the iM716's cost $70, I thought that Altec Lansing made a new version or something. Wrong. Amazon just lowered the price. Sweet! So I kept looking around head-fi for more info on the iM716s, and was convinced. I even made a pic of the iM716's my desktop background. It's still my desktop background! I got it from this thread: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ighlight=im716 Great thanks to kwkarth for providing such an excellent photo that perfectly fits my monitor resolution!
icon10.gif
After more research, I finally got my dad to order me the IEM's from Amazon (I paid him back): http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=183991

Ok, now for the First Impressions. However, let me warn you that I have not really listened to any headphone that may have been worthy of head-fi. I only listened to the generic headphones. Therefore, I have no experience with high-quality headphone products, and cannot really compare the iM716's to anything. That said, let's move on.

I was just doing normal stuff in the house when I noticed a box on the coffee table in the living room. I was thinking, "Hmmm, from Amazon. For [my dad's name]. Did he order anything from Amazon? This can't possibly be the iM716's. Don't be excited. The order had the estimated arrival date of June 15-17th. It's only the 13th!" So I asked my dad if he ordered anything else from Amazon. He said no, so... This must be it!

06-13-06_1627.jpg

Oohhh, the suspense!

06-13-06_1631.jpg

The "bubble-wrap" -type packaging material

06-13-06_1635.jpg

The goods

06-13-06_1637.jpg

And finally, the headphones.

06-13-06_1639.jpg

The front

06-13-06_1645.jpg

The dreaded case

06-13-06_1646.jpg

They even have "inMotion" engraved into the side of the styrofoam. That's fancy.

06-13-06_1651.jpg

Opened it by peeling off the stickers and removed the chinese take-out style tabs. A lot of products have very sticky and difficult-to-remove stickers. This product is an exception. That's a plus. However, as with most stickers, it had the possibility of leaving a sticky residue. There wasn't too much residue right after I took off the stickers.

06-13-06_1655.jpg

Wow, how fancy. They even have an indent/compartment for all of the instuctions, papers, and the coupon for FREE EARPLUGS. Very nicely packaged.

06-13-06_1657.jpg

FREE ER-20's? Unbelievable.

06-13-06_1701.jpg

Neatly tucked underneath the papers were the filters and the filter replacement tools, in their own little baggies (I kind of moved the baggies out of their original position before I took the picture).

06-13-06_1708.jpg

You guys were right; the flanges DO have a tacky feel to it. They have better grip than the grips of my pens.

06-13-06_1716.jpg

The case was quite easy to get acquainted with.

06-13-06_1718.jpg

The case close with the headphones inside, with a quarter for scale. This thing is quite cumbersome. Look how thick it is! I mean it's a bit smaller than I expected (from other people's complaints) from an above view, but I now realize what they mean. It is TOO THICK! I have a lot of trouble fitting it into my pocket, even it is the only thing in that pocket. The design of the case allows things to get inside. I found pocket lint all over the flanges.
rolleyes.gif

06-13-06_1805.jpg

The clip is very inconvenient. By clipping it to the collar of my shirt, I had a fear that if I lowered my head, I might crush the pod with my chin. I just let the thing hang when I'm sitting down. Since I go to a school that requires collared shirts, it will be easier to find a place to clip the pod onto. But school is out and now it's summertime!

06-13-06_2013.jpg

This is to show the size of the earphones, with a quarter for scale. They are actually smaller than I expected, since I read about many complaints stating that the earphones are too big. They are actually ok.

The earplugs went into my ears fine, and it was not that difficult getting a good seal. This surprised me, since this is my first time using IEM's. Maybe it's because I grew up using an ear-thermometer whenever I got the fever or flu or something.

When I began to listen to some music, I had a fear of turning the music up too far, since I had no ambient noise to compare the sound levels to. I was afraid of turning the volume too high, so I left it at a very modest volume level. It turns out later that it was far too low. When I first listened to the earphones with the volume that low, I could hear the details and such, and it was ok... It kinda sounded like someone put a pillow over the speakers, but that was because the volume was too low (with the vol. pot on the pod maxed out), and I didn't realize that (that the volume was too low) at the time. So I played some music and was a bit impressed... But I don't think that it was even qualified as "listening", because the volume was so low. I played the online first-person shooter America's Army (americasarmy.com), and the sound sounded a little bit... muffled. Like a pillow over the speakers, but a bit more severe than when playing music. I thought that that was normal, and that it would just get better after burn-in, so I just left it as is.

Also, almost forgot to say... The first time I inserted the IEM's into my ear, I was afraid of taking them out (didn't want a flange stuck in my ear). So I left them in my ears for maybe four hours. Lol, it was silly. I had the headphones plugged into my computer stereo (connected via usb), so whenever I had to leave the computer, I stopped the music and removed the jack and walked around with the headphones on. When my sister got irritated of having to repeat herself excessively, I decided that I had to take them out. I didn't want a flange to be stuck in my ear, so I gripped the top part of the flange when I was removing the units from my ears, and they came out, sometimes awkwardly, because the flanges are like hooks... they kind of hook onto the walls of my ear canals. But after practice, insertion and removal was a snap. I got the whole thing down within a day. Maybe it's because my ears coincidentally match the size that AL or Ety made for the flanges.

At 2:00 A.M. (I know I should be getting to sleep sooner), I was about to go to sleep, then decided to let my headphones go through burn-in while I was sleeping. I read in the sticky that you should put the volume one notch above normal listening levels, and that low volumes would not help burn-in. So I decided to turn it up. WOW. It was amazing. I heard details I've never heard before in songs that I listened to all the time. The bass was a little bit MORE than enough for my tastes. Nah, that would be exaggerating. The bass was PERFECT for my tastes. It was more than I expected, because from reviews, people complained about the Ety's or Altec's having very little bass. The listening experience was like being inside the concert hall itself. The piano sounded lively, and the bass... I felt it (in a good way). So I left the headphones to burn in while I went up to bed.

The very next morning, I checked the headphones, and the bass sounded a little bit... I don't know. I turned on/off the DFX plugin and turned on/off the SRS WOW effects plugin. I turned both of them off, but still in some of my music, specifically Hans Zimmer (I think the song title was "Brothers" or something), some of the bass sounded like there was a snare drum set in the "on" position (bass vibrated the snares) nearby. So I don't know about the bass. Everything still sounds good though.

I never tried the foamies yet.

Another thing is that my family kind of despises these headphones. When my family tries to say something to me to get my attention while I'm wearing my iM716s, I'm completely oblivious of their presence.

Also, will these IEM's hurt my social life and deteriorate my relationships? Sounds a bit extreme, but my family is a pretty pissed.

Conclusion:

I really like these earphones; they provide excellent detail and a sufficient amount of bass. They are comfortable to me; however, I wouldn't know how they would fare for others.

The packaging of the iM716's (I'm not talking about Amazon's packaging. I'm talking about the styrofoam packaging of Alec Lansing) is very fancy.

There's a coupon for Free ER-20's (or AL's version of it)!

The case is too big and overwhelmingly thick

The case's design allows foreign substances to become in contact with the headphones (pocket lint on flanges).

Pen style clip is not very convenient; an alligator style clip would be preferred.

IEM's isolation combined with society's ignorance of IEM's affects social life.

The bass sounds a bit raspy sometimes, but I'm pretty sure that's probably my stereo (connected via USB). My stereo is the Philips az2555 ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=172282 ) (got these from costco, hehe).

Jun 15, 2006 at 6:12 AM Post #3 of 23
yup.. hope u enjoy it.. nxt on ur list should a amp...

Jun 15, 2006 at 6:34 AM Post #4 of 23
Nice review you put together there man
etysmile.gif
Yes, these phones are really good for the price, once I got them, I never looked back on my decision.. I know what you mean about the family despising them too, mine does the same... All of em have to call out my name at once, and even then I can't hear them
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 15, 2006 at 7:27 AM Post #5 of 23
You forgot the picture of the UPS man driving away and the picture of the knife piercing the box
wink.gif

Thanks for the detailed comments. I have had my eye on these for awhile.

Jun 15, 2006 at 7:51 AM Post #6 of 23
Good review; great pics.

yah, for those who are on the fence for these, get them now for $80 before AL and/or amazon.com come to their sense and charge $200 for them again!
eek.gif

etysmile.gif

EDIT: They raised the price from $70 to $80 I just noticed...tough.

Jun 15, 2006 at 8:34 AM Post #7 of 23
Thanks for the responses, guys.

Yes, upgraditis... My friends already think I'm crazy for buying a pair of headphones for $70. Can't imagine what they'll think when upgraditis strikes.

I'm planning to build an amp... First I was looking at the pint, but then it was pulled... Hope the Mini Cubed or the small version of the PPA comes out soon. Otherwise I'll just start with a cmoy.

And about the family thing... I've practiced inserting and removing with as much efficiency as possible, so now it's almost as fast as inserting (and removing) regular earbuds. That doesn't get rid of the problem, but I guess it helps when someone's talking to me, so that I don't have to make them wait for me (as long) while I remove my IEM's.

Lol, I tried taking a pic with the knife going through the tape on the box, but it was kind of hard getting the angle right. But then again sometimes I'm lazy.
tongue.gif

Yea, funny thing about the price change... I ordered them right when they made the price change, so they charged me $80... I emailed them, and they happily refunded me ten real dollars (credit - not store credit, but credit). Amazon's customer service is really good. I highly recommend them. The estimated arrival date for my iM716's was June 15th-17th. They arrived on the 13th! For super saver shipping. Now that's speedy.

But then again, for those who haven't gotten them yet, and is "on the fence"... All is not lost. $80 for $200 headphones is still an amazing deal. I highly recommend them.

Now I just have to update my profile or sig and put in the iM716's...

Jun 16, 2006 at 3:11 AM Post #8 of 23
Update:

These are most definitely NOT the headphones to wear when you're eating. It sound like you're in a giant's mouth and you're being eaten alive.

Third day using it, and my ear canals are starting to feel like they're inflamed during removal.

When I was playing AA, an online fps game, I heard enemy fire coming from my 9 o'clock (directly to my left - directly west if I was facing north), when it was supposed to be coming from my 10 o'clock.

I'm not sure of the ability to point out the exact locations (or direction) of where the sounds are coming from from these 'phones. Because I was on a bridge (explained earlier), and an enemy was to my front left, but I heard him directly to my left, where no one could be, because it was just air... off the bridge... (I hope you know what I'm talking about) However, this was the only instance that I noticed it.

Is this what you call soundstage?

Jun 16, 2006 at 7:47 AM Post #10 of 23
Yea, I heard... But I hope the new surround sound technology that's coming out works for IEM's too.

Jun 17, 2006 at 7:25 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by vYu223
There's a coupon for Free ER-20's (or AL's version of it)!

Has anyone actually gotten these earplugs? I filled out the web-forms when I bought my im716's, and at the end of all of the stuff they say that they'll e-mail you at some unspecified point in the future about the possibility of getting your earplugs.

At this point, I think that they're just an empty promise.

Jun 17, 2006 at 7:56 PM Post #14 of 23
Thanks for taking your time to read this, guys
icon10.gif

@citroeniste: Same for me... I filled out the form with the 12-digit (no spaces) UPC Code... I hope I did it right. It said, "Please wait up to 8-10 weeks for full satisfaction" or something along the lines of that. I'm getting three pairs of ER-20s soon anyway, so this will just be a free extra. I really don't care when or if it arrives...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back