AKG & Sennheiser Purchases
Oct 22, 2003 at 2:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

Mr. X

100+ Head-Fier
I'm about to complete my headphone inventory by purchasing:

1) AKG K271S (for production)
2) Sennheiser PX200 (for non-leaking portability)

I want to make sure I get the lowest possible price on these. Obviously, it would be best if I could walk into a retail store and buy them, but I will go online if it means a great deal. Here's the best I've done so far:

1) K271S ($166.95 @ bhphotovideo.com)
2) PX200 ($37.00 @ newegg.com)

I'm going to see if Guitar Center will price match (if they carry them)....Any other suggestions? I plan to purchase them by the end of the week.

...and, yes, I've done many searches throughout the board...

Thx

Oct 26, 2003 at 3:18 AM Post #2 of 36
Well, after doing a lot of research, I decided to save $100 and go w/ the AKG K240m's. Man, do I love how these sound!!! Warm, accurate & comfortable. PERFECT for production work (especially audio editing and vinyl restoration)...

The only gripe I have (which is very popular w/ these cans): they're difficult to drive. Luckily, I can hear everything very clearly at lower volumes, so it's not necessary for production to have it go any louder...and I listen to my home hi-fi through a receiver that can drive all headphones well...

My only concern is wondering if it really is the best option for studio work. I wouldn't mind a little more power when I hook up to my home mixer, and total isolation is nice when you're in front of a mic. However, I love the crisp sound while talking into the mic.... Hmmm, is it worth getting those K271s cans, or should I just stick w/ these.........anyone care to give a suggestion?

(and don't bother with K240s suggestions, I'm very happy w/ the m's and glad I chose them instead...)

Oct 26, 2003 at 4:03 AM Post #3 of 36
After further review, I think I will go w/ a pair of K270s AKG's. It's good to have a pair for at home production, and one for studios, anyway.

As, always, open to any other feedback...

...headphone inventory is very very close to completion!!!

Oct 26, 2003 at 4:14 AM Post #4 of 36
Have you compared the K240S and K271S?

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Oct 26, 2003 at 4:17 AM Post #5 of 36
No, but I don't have any interest in the K240S. I'm very happy w/ my K240M's, they are so amazingly accurate for mixing, and give me a nice warm and crisp sound for hi-fi listening.

As for 271S.....I think I'll save some money and go w/ the older K270S......

Oct 26, 2003 at 5:03 AM Post #6 of 36
Hehe, I might even understand preferring the K270S to the K271S, but you don't know what you're missing with the K240S.
wink.gif
Also, I'd be very careful when mixing electronic music with deep bass effects or lots of highs with the K240M, because the outcome could sound rather exaggerated on more extended modern headphones.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Oct 26, 2003 at 5:26 AM Post #7 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by lini
Hehe, I might even understand preferring the K270S to the K271S, but you don't know what you're missing with the K240S.
wink.gif
Also, I'd be very careful when mixing electronic music with deep bass effects or lots of highs with the K240M, because the outcome could sound rather exaggerated on more extended modern headphones.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

I'm glad you like your pair. There are MANY professionals who swear by the K240M's when it comes to production work, and it looks like I may soon be singing the same praises. I'm not interested in mixing music to be tailored for certain "extended modern headphones," as you say. There are plenty who would disagree with your claim that M's are too outdated for modern music.

I admit to not having the amount of headphone knowledge that you do... All I know is that the 240M's carry the sound I've always wanted...

Oct 26, 2003 at 5:44 AM Post #8 of 36
STOP!! The 270 is a really bad-sounding headphone! My dad bought one without reading any reviews; it was so awful that even my mom noticed its inferiority! The 271, on the other hand, is the best sealed headphone I've ever heard (besting even the great DT-831). Please do yourself a favor and go for the 271. Comparing the 270 vs. the 271 is like comparing a Yugo to an M3, except that the M3 costs LESS than the Yugo! The 271 costs $180 while the 270 sells for $250 retail! I'm telling you, the AKG K271 sounds amazing (and the bass really improves after some burn-in) and the 270 is terrible. The relatively low cost of the 271 only sweetens the deal in my mind.

Oct 26, 2003 at 5:44 AM Post #9 of 36
It goes for speakers, amps and sources, too. There has been a lot of evolution in the last 20 years - modern systems are able to convey a lot more dynamics and energy at the extremes of the frequency range. That can be a problem when mixing with older equipment. I have a musician/music production friend who also noticed that he had much overcompensated for the flaws of his old equipment in his older mixes, when he finally upgraded. Of course, that doesn't mean that the groovy sound of the K240S would be more to your liking, but then a leaner sounding and similarly extended headphone like the K501 might be a wise choice. Anyway, it's just meant as advice - maybe it sounds reasonable...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Oct 26, 2003 at 1:25 PM Post #10 of 36
Mr. X,

I think it's great that you are listening to your own ears, and appeasing your own preferences & requirements. The 240M's are a classic can, that has been in production studios for a long time. If you have the power to push their 600ohm drivers, and like their sound, then go for it. I am loving my (20-year old) AKG K340's tremendously. So much so, I just won another pair off of eBay (it's an illness
wink.gif
). So "older" doesn't necessarily mean "bad", even compared to modern designs.

The 270S is a bit more controversial. Most who have actually heard it, don't like it at all for music listening. But one member here (joelongwood) who bought a pair out of curiosity, didn't like his at first either. But after allowing significant burn in, he now states that the sound is quite pleasant. I haven't heard them since the "burn-in" period, so I can't comment personally.

The 501's are a different animal completely. If you prefer a "warm, accurate, tight" sound, then the 501's are not for you. They are very light in the bass, although very accurate in the upper frequencies. Also their soundstage is HUGE - unnaturally so, IMO (my biggest complaint about these). Despite their relatively low impedance rating, they also require a lot of power to sound decent too.

If you know that you don't prefer the 240S's (I still have yet to hear those myself), then stick to your guns and be happy. For $90, the 240M's are a bargain.

Cheers, man!

smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 26, 2003 at 2:18 PM Post #11 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by jpelg
Mr. X,

I think it's great that you are listening to your own ears, and appeasing your own preferences & requirements. The 240M's are a classic can, that has been in production studios for a long time....

....If you know that you don't prefer the 240S's (I still have yet to hear those myself), then stick to your guns and be happy. For $90, the 240M's are a bargain.

Cheers, man!

smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks, jpelg. That's exactly why I'm sticking w/ these. They are the best sounding cans I have ever heard. and...AND...Guitar Center had them on sale for $69!!! Once I saw that, it was all over.

I just don't buy the theory that these are too outdated for modern music. I don't think they'd still be so commonly found in today's studios if that were the case. Every time I do a search, the same people (one or two...one of them is also found on akg.com) jump in every time someone is interested in 240M's and give that testimony about S vs. M, so we're talking the opinion of two people (..of course, though, I respect everyone's opinion, so if you agree w/ that theory, then cool. I don't.)

For home stereo listening, my Onkyo receiver drives them very nicely. Mixing boards drive them *enough*......so, I have two options....

1) Get an amp (for studio, or when needing a little more power)
2) Buy a sealed, easier to drive pair (K271S?...I'm staying away from 270's after reading the previous warning in this thread..)

It's a tough call. It might be nice to have a second pair for taking to studios, and the K271S might be a better choice in front of the mic (because of the isolation). Yet, as much as I love the 240M's, I may just always want this sound! ...but, if I have to spend over $100 for an amp, then it probably only makes sense to just get that 2nd pair.....and I don't know if I want to deal w/ batteries.....???????

Oct 26, 2003 at 2:23 PM Post #12 of 36
Good god, no! Don't buy the 270S, go for the 271 studio by all means!

http://www.headphone.com/layout.php?...tID=0020120270

Check out the frequency response graph of the 270s. Also, for that matter, check out the frequency response graph that headroom created of the other AKG phones. You've got some extremely colored incoherent cans there.

I'd go with the 271 studio BY ALL MEANS!

The 271 is the polar opposite of the 270, it sounds awesome and neutral.

Cheers,
Geek

Oct 26, 2003 at 3:41 PM Post #13 of 36
hmmm......maybe I'll just use the 240M's for everything...and WITHOUT an amp....I mean, it will force me to save my hearing! Plus, the lower levels in the cans sound SO GOOD...may just leave it alone......

Oct 27, 2003 at 10:22 PM Post #14 of 36
Wellllllll.........

After further review, I'm considering taking my K240M's back to Guitar Center for the 240S headphones.

From what I've read, it sounds like 240S is basically the same as 240M, but with a lot more volume. Spending another 20$ or so on them might be a wiser choice than going for a second pair of K271S's for when I need more volume. (or spending money on an amp, for that matter)

ALL RIGHT, lini, I'm *thinking* about it.....

They really need to sound as good as the M's though!!!!!!!!! I simply want the K240M with more volume (a rep. on akg.com described K240S as such)....

Oct 27, 2003 at 11:33 PM Post #15 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. X
They really need to sound as good as the M's though!!!!!!!!! I simply want the K240M with more volume (a rep. on akg.com described K240S as such)...

I'm not sure whether I'd second the AKG rep. - the K240S has this new trait of punchy, strong bass, which changes the character quite significantly, though midrange seems of equal quality. That's why you should probably give both the K240S and the K501 a listen - the latter has a much leaner bass presentation, which might be more pleasant to a K240M lover.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back