AKG K812 Pro
Jan 28, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #766 of 4,825

Wow... epic write up MuppetFace. I enjoyed it very much. Thank you!
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 28, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #767 of 4,825
  Clarification?  I'm assuming by right you mean a flagship that can be driven well by portable, and by wrong you mean both items are overpriced?  Especially if that is the AK240 in the picture, which from the announcements I've read, has a rather absurd retail price.

Price isn't the problem I had in mind: spend what you like.

We may title the photo "The portable audio revolutionary nirvana." Some think audiophile DAP + flagship is the future of audio. To others, it's the end times. Myself, I'll believe it when I hear it. Those soon-to-be-guillotined oldsters with their synergy and their tweaks impress me more than Occam's Principle of Limited Imagination.

Jan 28, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #768 of 4,825

Price isn't the problem I had in mind: spend what you like.

We may title the photo "The portable audio revolutionary nirvana." Some think audiophile DAP + flagship is the future of audio. To others, it's the end times. Myself, I'll believe it when I hear it. Those soon-to-be-guillotined oldsters with their synergy and their tweaks impress me more than Occam's Principle of Limited Imagination.

I actually understand where you're coming from; but, in this case, that system (Astell&Kern AK240 driving the AKG K812) is the real deal. I've been listening to an identical setup a lot the last few days, and I can't get over the fact that I can fit that entire rig (music server / high-res DAC / amp / flagship-level headphone) in one headphone case.

I think just about any audio oldster who's used to synergizing and tweaking would find this an impressive rig, period--despite the relative ease and lack of imagination it might take to put it together. It seriously just works.

From MuppetFace's review (in this thread):

...By comparison the K812 is much, much easier to work with in terms of synergy. For instance the HD800 sounds like crapola on DAPs such as the newer Sony Walkmans, whereas the K812 shines on them. In other words: you can get true flagship-level performance using the K812 without shelling out a ton of money for a new amp and source. That's not to say the K812 is just a compromise for those without the resources to build systems around the HD800. Far from it. In its own right, the K812 scales up nicely when paired with high-end gear...

Jan 28, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #769 of 4,825
Wow that's very cool Jude. Haha. What case is that?

I'm moving more and more away from listening at home and more on the go. Thinking abou about selling my heavy beastly headphones and going 812. I can take it with me and listen in quiet hotel rooms before I go to sleep. The 240 maybe a little later as I want to see what the X5 and DX90 sounds like before I go for something like that.

Jan 28, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #770 of 4,825
I must admit, this is pretty amusing....

2.5K DAP + 1.5K 'PHONE ( TYPE - OPEN ) + FIVE STAR HOTEL WITH SOUNDPROOF ISOLATION

And people say there are hidden costs with this hobby, well I think we found a few new ones, and they are not the cables or the connectors.

Jan 28, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #773 of 4,825
  I must admit, this is pretty amusing....

6K DAP + 1.5K 'PHONE ( TYPE - OPEN ) + FIVE STAR HOTEL WITH SOUNDPROOF ISOLATION

And people say there are hidden costs with this hobby, well I think we found a few new ones, and they are not the cables or the connectors.

99.99% of hotel rooms are pretty quiet, even budget ones. Probably quieter than your home.

Jan 28, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #776 of 4,825
not sure when I'll get to hear the k812 for myself but would like to know how it stacks up against the th900 sound wise.

Jan 28, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #777 of 4,825
  And I have never been to a hotel, thanks for the clarification buddy.

Now you can go back to whats that case quest.

Apparently you've only been to 5 Star Hotels with soundproofed walls. Continue on your bitter useless rant journey. I'm enjoying it more than my case quest at the moment.

although... the game of what 6K dac is inside that plastic bag? might be even more interesting.

Jan 28, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #779 of 4,825
Has anyone tried an aftermarket balanced cable with the K812?  Are any of the popular aftermarket cable producers making cables for this headphone.  I'm guessing a good copper cable would improve the 812's sound.   

Jan 28, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #780 of 4,825
  Has anyone tried an aftermarket balanced cable with the K812? 

How would you propose hooking up a balanced cable them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back