AKG K812 Pro
Jan 6, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #601 of 4,825

I see only one problem: who really need high end (open) headphones connected to smartphone? "Normal" person probably would like to have something cheaper, smaller (IEMs even) and probably closed to have on-the-go.
And if you are able to but high end headphones you probably already have some dac/amp.

It makes no sense whatsoever to use a flagship headphone with a smartphone.  Flagships are made to be played out of high-end audio gear/amps...plus, you look really stupid wearing an oversized headphone out in the street...that's what IEMs were made for (as well as the Beyerdynamic DT1350s).  The Ultrasone ed. 8 are small enough and can do the job, but even that is pushing the envelope!

Jan 7, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #602 of 4,825
Hi, this is my first post - I just joined this forum.

I just upgraded my DT 880pro 32ohms to AKG K812s today and would like to give you my first impressions.

My main use for the K812s is as reference headphones for producing and mixing electronic music production (just a hobbyist...).
I am used to mixing on Mackie HR824's in an acoustically pretty well controlled studio environment in my house but needed a quieter alternative due to wife aggro...
eek.gif

I ended up with the K812's as I wanted the best but decided against paying a considerable amount of extra for another amp to drive for instance a pair of Sennheisers that I read here on Head-Fi were more difficult to enjoy without a really good dac/amp.

I have them hooked up to my Macbook Pro via an Apogee Duet 2 (the latest version that also works with iOS). I am not sure how good the Duet 2 is compared to the high end gear some of you here got tbh but that was what I had so...

Here are my initial impressions:
- WOOOOOOOOWWW - never heard headphones this good before... It's like listening to really good studio monitors without room imperfections and just enjoying pure music as it was produced. Almost like physically having my head inside Logic Pro ....with extremely well controlled and detailed bass and mids. I can literarily hear every nuance of individual instruments in the mixes. Especially the bass becomes extremely detailed, which is important in electronic music production.
Highs sounded a bit harsh in the store (Katy Perry @ Spotify via RME Fireface) upon unboxing but after having listened a few hours at home I have completely changed my mind. Highs sound really good as well! I will let them burn in using white noise from Logic Pro's Test Oscillator AU for a few days now and see if they can be even better..

Compared to the DT880pro... -no there is no comparison, its really night and day (as it should considering the hefty price difference....).
I payed the equivalent to around 1100 euro incl 25% VAT in a store in Sweden without any bargaining. 

I also did some short tests comparing the K812s straight out of a Macbook Pro (retina 2012) and iPhone 5s - with noticeable difference in stereo separation, bass response and treble harshness compared to when driving them off the Apogee Duet 2. 

Jan 7, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #603 of 4,825
  Hi, this is my first post - I just joined this forum.

I just upgraded my DT 880pro 32ohms to AKG K812s today and would like to give you my first impressions.

My main use for the K812s is as reference headphones for producing and mixing electronic music production (just a hobbyist...).
I am used to mixing on Mackie HR824's in an acoustically pretty well controlled studio environment in my house but needed a quieter alternative due to wife aggro...
eek.gif

I ended up with the K812's as I wanted the best but decided against paying a considerable amount of extra for another amp to drive for instance a pair of Sennheisers that I read here on Head-Fi were more difficult to enjoy without a really good dac/amp.

I have them hooked up to my Macbook Pro via an Apogee Duet 2 (the latest version that also works with iOS). I am not sure how good the Duet 2 is compared to the high end gear some of you here got tbh but that was what I had so...

- WOOOOOOOOWWW - never heard headphones this good before... It's like listening to really good studio monitors without room imperfections and just enjoying pure music as it was produced. Almost like physically having my head inside Logic Pro ....with extremely well controlled and detailed bass and mids. I can literarily hear every nuance of individual instruments in the mixes. Especially the bass becomes extremely detailed, which is important in electronic music production.
Highs sounded a bit harsh in the store (Katy Perry @ Spotify via RME Fireface) upon unboxing but after having listened a few hours at home I have completely changed my mind. Highs sound really good as well! I will let them burn in using white noise from Logic Pro's Test Oscillator AU for a few days now and see if they can be even better..

Compared to the DT880pro... -no there is no comparison, its really night and day (as it should considering the hefty price difference....).
I payed the equivalent to around 1100 euro incl 25% VAT in a store in Sweden without any bargaining. 

I also did some short tests comparing the K812s straight out of a Macbook Pro (retina 2012) and iPhone 5s - with noticeable difference in stereo separation, bass response and treble harshness compared to when driving them off the Apogee Duet 2. 

That was...really a good price. Still can't find a reasonable offer in UK.

So even you don't use dac + amp combo, it still proves a worthwhile sound to buy?

Jan 7, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #604 of 4,825

That was...really a good price. Still can't find a reasonable offer in UK.

So even you don't use dac + amp combo, it still proves a worthwhile sound to buy?

I would definitely recommend to give the K812's a listen, i thoroughly enjoy them!

Regarding dacs and amps - The dacs and amp sections in the Apogee Duet 2 has received some pretty good reviews (check soundonsound.com for instance, and also at kenrockwell.com under his audio reviews section) - but I have yet to seen any comparative reviews directly to audiophile amps and dacs.

For music production I think it is a really good combo!

Jan 8, 2014 at 4:38 AM Post #605 of 4,825

Highs sounded a bit harsh in the store (Katy Perry @ Spotify via RME Fireface) upon unboxing but after having listened a few hours at home I have completely changed my mind. Highs sound really good as well! I will let them burn in using white noise from Logic Pro's Test Oscillator AU for a few days now and see if they can be even better.

Thanks for posting. (Finally, some more real listener experiences!)

Try some pink noise too. I found that it opened up the sound in the models I've tested it on.

Jan 8, 2014 at 4:54 AM Post #606 of 4,825
Parametric EQ --> ODAC --> Objective2 ---> Senheiser HD800s

That's a better reference setup and not uber expensive. Still I'm not surprised you find the K812s good if your previous headphones was some DT880 32ohm headphones. Still for 1100 euros I would buy some HD800s used, buy an amplifier and DAC and still have a little money to spare.

I just do not see the K812s as viable reference headphones when compared to the HD800s.

Jan 9, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #609 of 4,825

I see only one problem: who really need high end (open) headphones connected to smartphone? "Normal" person probably would like to have something cheaper, smaller (IEMs even) and probably closed to have on-the-go.
And if you are able to but high end headphones you probably already have some dac/amp.

For the pro audience which AKG is aiming at, the only place headphones are required is in mobile setups. In the studio, studio monitors (speakers) are much better than headphones. In mobile setups, the convenience of easy to drive reference headphones working on a sound card like RME or Apogee or even straight out of your laptop is a clear advantage (in my opinion, this is a must for me). 

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #610 of 4,825

For the pro audience which AKG is aiming at, the only place headphones are required is in mobile setups. In the studio, studio monitors (speakers) are much better than headphones. In mobile setups, the convenience of easy to drive reference headphones working on a sound card like RME or Apogee or even straight out of your laptop is a clear advantage (in my opinion, this is a must for me). 

This is not exactly true, while I spend a lot of time on my monitors for studio work, I also spend a lot of time on headphones. Particularly in tracking and composing. Mixing I stay on monitors and double check on headphones.

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #611 of 4,825
Well, completely open headphone in a mobile setup (?) ...

Most of the pro consumers are more into monitors generally and when they are using headphones on the field, they need something more as a "working horse" with at least minimum isolation.

They are targeting flagship Android / I / Portable users and that is so obvious but I am cool with that, and I must admit they are doing quite good.

Jan 9, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #612 of 4,825
  Well, completely open headphone in a mobile setup (?) ...

Most of the pro consumers are more into monitors generally and when they are using headphones on the field, they need something more as a "working horse" with at least minimum isolation.

They are targeting flagship Android / I / Portable users and that is so obvious but I am cool with that, and I must admit they are doing quite good.

hahah yea lol. open headphones won't work for on-the-go usage. $1000+ headphones for portable use is intensely overkill.

Jan 10, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #613 of 4,825
  hahah yea lol. open headphones won't work for on-the-go usage. $1000+ headphones for portable use is intensely overkill.

Some early real impressions were held by one particular user and the only clear statement was, that it sounds surprisingly good when plugged into a 'phone or something, the rest is just a chain ( marketing ) reaction. As I've said, nothing against it, now lets move on.

Jan 10, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #614 of 4,825
I agree about the limits of portability: I'm most interesting in learning how it sounds at its best, with really good gear. Does it sound distinctive and is it a sensible alternative to other extremely good products? (I'm curious also about how it will compare with some very good mid-priced classics such as HD600.)

Jan 10, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #615 of 4,825
I received my AKG K812 this week. I really enyoy this great K812 and sold my T1 yesterday. The AKG is a big step up of the Beyerdynamic. I also heared a HD800. And the Sennheiser only has one better attribute, a wider soundstage. But in all other terms the HD800 loose. I also have the LCD3 and both headphones complement another. This twos are the best headphones I ever heared. Unfortunately I only had a short listening to the SR009.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back