AKG K812 Pro
Dec 31, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #3,167 of 4,825
Just got the the 812's.  First impressions are pretty good.  Very musical, extremely comfortable,  excellent soundstage. Not ready to make any comparisons with my lcd-x's yet.. But I can say with certainty that the 812's are a very good set of phones and anyone that has them should be proud.   

beerchug.gif

Dec 31, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #3,168 of 4,825
DC,
Especially paired with the hybrid [Fitz-improved] Bada PH-12, the holistic sense of musicality, dimensional and tonal rightness, and dynamics, I tend to prefer the K812 to any of the planars I have heard so far.  

With my available solid state amplification, I prefer the Oppo PM-1 with the alternative lambskin earpads.  The new Aural Thrills BCS interconnects also bring the Oppos up another notch in enjoyability. 

The K812 do not have the low frequency dominance of the D7000 (of course), but the AKGs present--to my ears--deep, articulate and balanced bass.  The AKGs easily better the Denons with soundstage size and 3-dimensionality.

pataburd

Dec 31, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #3,170 of 4,825
Nice review Muppetface.

Don't sweat it 62 ohm. Do anax mod and you can have an hd800 that is musical and resolving. Granted I have only demo time with k812 but they failed to make an impression. I am also a detail oriented listener so take that into account. To be honest I don't seriously consider these for my system due to 3 pin lemo connector. Akg are massive trolls lol.

Dec 31, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #3,171 of 4,825
To be honest I don't seriously consider these for my system due to 3 pin lemo connector. Akg are massive trolls lol.

Yeah, the K812 are the only flagship headphone that I know of that uses a single sided connector.
rolleyes.gif

And they can't be run fully balanced because of its 3-pin design. 
redface.gif

Dec 31, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #3,172 of 4,825

Yeah, the K812 are the only flagship headphone that I know of that uses a single sided connector.
rolleyes.gif

And they can't be run fully balanced because of its 3-pin design. 
redface.gif

Yeah the cable sucks,  the connector sucks,  but with the right amplification the headphone is amazing.

Dec 31, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #3,173 of 4,825

Yeah the cable sucks,  the connector sucks,  but with the right amplification the headphone is amazing.

I have no doubt that they sound great, though.  I really want to hear them for myself one day.

I'm curious to hear your comparison between the K812 and the LCD-X (which I have heard on several occasions).

Jan 1, 2015 at 12:21 AM Post #3,175 of 4,825
Nice review Muppetface.

Don't sweat it 62 ohm. Do anax mod and you can have an hd800 that is musical and resolving. Granted I have only demo time with k812 but they failed to make an impression. I am also a detail oriented listener so take that into account. To be honest I don't seriously consider these for my system due to 3 pin lemo connector. Akg are massive trolls lol.

I assume you are talking about my comment quite a while back - I now own both as I covet the holographic vocals presentation of the K812. Although I am considering selling them again as I much preferred the HD800 on my set-up (granted, my amp is an HDVA 600), I fear that if I sell them I might miss them too much. So I guess for the time being I would hold onto them (they make a nice portable / transportable headphone as well).

IMO the holographic presentation is a pros and cons at the same time - it makes for a captivating listening experience, but it also impacts the clarity of the mids.

Jan 1, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #3,176 of 4,825

I have no doubt that they sound great, though.  I really want to hear them for myself one day.

I'm curious to hear your comparison between the K812 and the LCD-X (which I have heard on several occasions).

I didn't think it would be a fair fight to be honest.  To me the lcd-x  is just flawless driving it balanced.  I was skeptical of the 812 and purchased a open box that I can return within 30 days.  I am now pretty certain the 812 will not be going back.  Too early to make a real detailed comparison however both are excellent in detail retrieval, slight advantage to the x's as there is more depth to the detail.  Both have a vast soundstage with a slight advantage to the aka.   The 812's aren't quite as pronounced in the mids.  Both have excellent bass presentation but its different and don't have the words for it yet.  My ears are 56 years old and been through a lot loud music / concerts over the years.  I am probably not the best person to a detailed comparison.  I can say the 812's are very good phones and I have no regret over the purchase.  Also I will say I am not personally a fan of the HD800 sound, but  will give them another shot someday.
Oh and as far as comfort the 812's are the best I have ever had.  Second best were  HD700's.

Jan 2, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #3,177 of 4,825
Hello pataburd, might I ask what you think about the k812 in terms of sheer musicality compared to your high end Planars or let's say you d7000

DC,
Will be doing some actual a/b-ing between the PM-1 and K812 on my "most modest" front end.
Just had a short listen to the K812.  Wow!  Their dimensional rightness is truly exceptional.
pataburd

Jan 2, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #3,178 of 4,825
Sweet. I'm expecting the k812 to come out ahead as long as you're using stock cables. I love the bass on the pm1 though.

Jan 2, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #3,179 of 4,825
The bass from the K812 is deep, very well articulated, full and "rounded".  The "dynamics of space" add a lot to this articulation.  With the PM-1, the bass is more flush, lacking the ultimate texture of the K812 IMHO.

Jan 2, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #3,180 of 4,825
  The bass from the K812 is deep, very well articulated, full and "rounded".  The "dynamics of space" add a lot to this articulation.  With the PM-1, the bass is more flush, lacking the ultimate texture of the K812 IMHO.

Good analysis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back